The P4 Endurance Run Blu-ray set.

• 178 results
Posted by MikeFightNight (1110 posts) -

It all started in 2009 when the P4 ER was just starting. I watched about 30 episodes before I decided that I wanted to play P4 for myself and then did so. Flash forward earlier this year in 2012, I found myself wanting to revisit P4 and thought, what better way to do it then watching the P4 ER!

I got a few episodes in before I asked myself this question; wouldn’t it be awesome to have a physical copy of this? You know, for when the zombie apocalypse comes and all cloud storage as we know it is gone!? Although I don’t see how having the P4 ER on Blu-ray would help me in that situation... That’s not the point! Right, the point is I have always had a soft spot for physical media and I thought doing this would be a fun side project. Also once I start something, it must be finished… it must.

I present to you the Persona 4: Endurance Run Blu-ray set!

Now to talk more about the technical stuff, stop reading here if you’re not interested.

So I took all 155 episodes and put them on 5 Verbatim inkjet printable Blu-ray discs. The first 4 are 50 gig dual layered while the last is a standard 25 gig disc. Most of my original content was done in the first week. Accurate calendar intro's for each episode, unique outro's for each disc, Blu-ray menu, disc and case art. What took the most amount of time was downloading all the episodes (at the best quality GB offers) and having to go through each one, formatting them with new borders to retain their original aspect ratio (640x360) to be displayed in 720 x 480. I then had to batch convert them all to H.264 Blu-ray standard to burn.

For those wondering “Why didn’t you make em 1080p brah!” I did try to convert them to higher aspect ratios and tested them out on some bd-re’s, but I realized that they looked like crap, so I decided to keep the original aspect ratio. The very beginning intro and outro's to each disc are presented in 1080p, as burning with Toast allows you to have different video formats that can play continuously on a disc. I was originally going to leave the little calendar intro's for each episode in their native 1920x1080 resolution but, realized that Toast 11 only allows 99 tracks per disc. So i had to bake them in to each episode as I was giving them new borders.

I had originally intended to make the Blu-ray menus much more complex with moving graphics and such, but after much research I found out the software today to do this is either very limited, or very very expensive. Adobe Encore was the cheapest I could find that offered more complex Blu-ray menus, but it is not sold as a standalone product. Paying $800 for the entire Adobe Premiere Pro suite for one program just didn’t seem like a good idea. So good ol’ Toast 11 it was.

I am happy with how it turned out. The Blu-ray disc images are big, like almost 48 gigs each. Maybe if Giant Bomb ever got some licensing deals sorted out with Atlus they could offer them to the GB fans, but I highly doubt that would ever happen...

INVESTIGATION TEAM GO!

#1 Posted by MikeFightNight (1110 posts) -

It all started in 2009 when the P4 ER was just starting. I watched about 30 episodes before I decided that I wanted to play P4 for myself and then did so. Flash forward earlier this year in 2012, I found myself wanting to revisit P4 and thought, what better way to do it then watching the P4 ER!

I got a few episodes in before I asked myself this question; wouldn’t it be awesome to have a physical copy of this? You know, for when the zombie apocalypse comes and all cloud storage as we know it is gone!? Although I don’t see how having the P4 ER on Blu-ray would help me in that situation... That’s not the point! Right, the point is I have always had a soft spot for physical media and I thought doing this would be a fun side project. Also once I start something, it must be finished… it must.

I present to you the Persona 4: Endurance Run Blu-ray set!

Now to talk more about the technical stuff, stop reading here if you’re not interested.

So I took all 155 episodes and put them on 5 Verbatim inkjet printable Blu-ray discs. The first 4 are 50 gig dual layered while the last is a standard 25 gig disc. Most of my original content was done in the first week. Accurate calendar intro's for each episode, unique outro's for each disc, Blu-ray menu, disc and case art. What took the most amount of time was downloading all the episodes (at the best quality GB offers) and having to go through each one, formatting them with new borders to retain their original aspect ratio (640x360) to be displayed in 720 x 480. I then had to batch convert them all to H.264 Blu-ray standard to burn.

For those wondering “Why didn’t you make em 1080p brah!” I did try to convert them to higher aspect ratios and tested them out on some bd-re’s, but I realized that they looked like crap, so I decided to keep the original aspect ratio. The very beginning intro and outro's to each disc are presented in 1080p, as burning with Toast allows you to have different video formats that can play continuously on a disc. I was originally going to leave the little calendar intro's for each episode in their native 1920x1080 resolution but, realized that Toast 11 only allows 99 tracks per disc. So i had to bake them in to each episode as I was giving them new borders.

I had originally intended to make the Blu-ray menus much more complex with moving graphics and such, but after much research I found out the software today to do this is either very limited, or very very expensive. Adobe Encore was the cheapest I could find that offered more complex Blu-ray menus, but it is not sold as a standalone product. Paying $800 for the entire Adobe Premiere Pro suite for one program just didn’t seem like a good idea. So good ol’ Toast 11 it was.

I am happy with how it turned out. The Blu-ray disc images are big, like almost 48 gigs each. Maybe if Giant Bomb ever got some licensing deals sorted out with Atlus they could offer them to the GB fans, but I highly doubt that would ever happen...

INVESTIGATION TEAM GO!

#2 Posted by mustachioeugene (510 posts) -

This is effin' impressive.

Any chance you could put the files for the jacket/sleeves online?

#3 Posted by Aegon (5654 posts) -

Um...wow. 

#4 Posted by Redbullet685 (6045 posts) -

That is damn awesome, duder.

#5 Posted by demonknightinuyasha (467 posts) -

Well done. You sir are my hero.

#6 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

HOW MUCH!!?!?!

#7 Posted by Landon (4147 posts) -

This is... incredibly impressive. Love the back of the box quotes "Bear witness..." I see what you did there.

If I had to change something, I would have made the title P4ER, or maybe just P4E for Endurance Run. They did P4A for the animation and P3P for portable. But, whatever man. It's perfect as is. I'd pay real moneys for that.

#8 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

That is...pretty fucking impressive mate. Man, I'd so buy a copy of that even though it seems unnecessary...but MAN.

#9 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

thats crazy and impressive

#10 Posted by TruthTellah (9150 posts) -

My gawd... it's everything I ever dreamed it would be...

#11 Posted by Cathryn (547 posts) -

Pretty amazing, it looks fantastic!

#12 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4683 posts) -

I will don't understand why people want to watch someone else play a entire videogame. Could someone explain it to me? I'm really curious.

#13 Posted by rentfn (1280 posts) -

Amazing job!!!!

#14 Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles (1701 posts) -

That is the best fan made ANYTHING i have ever seen.

#15 Posted by ThePhantomStranger (371 posts) -

OH MY GOD.

(I still need to finish watching that endurance run)

You should send a box set to Vinny and Jeff!

#16 Edited by Strife777 (1589 posts) -

Well motherfucker...

You will make me one of these right now, young man!! For free too! You can't sell something this beautiful, you have to give it to the people!

P.S. 48 gigs images?! WTF?

#17 Posted by JeanLuc (3586 posts) -

I had the idea first!

Seriously though, that's awesome. Well done.

#18 Posted by Pazy (2587 posts) -

I would totally buy a set like this if someone made it. There is no way it would get made officially and there is no way I could download all the episodes myself to make it (tiny download speed and limited access times to internet) but id love to have it on a shelf since I loved it.

#19 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2994 posts) -

good god man... we are not worthy

#20 Posted by coakroach (2491 posts) -

This is the best kind of crazy.

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

I will don't understand why people want to watch someone else play an entire videogame. Could someone explain it to me? I'm really curious.

Its for people who have a lot of time on their hands and love witty banter, the kind of weirdos that like Mystery Science Theatre 3000.

#21 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

I would buy a Blu-Ray player just for this alone. Pretty freaking awesome.

#22 Posted by Milkman (16838 posts) -

Holy hell... 

That's awesome, dude!

#23 Posted by dungbootle (2458 posts) -

You done good.

#24 Posted by Zurgfrog (153 posts) -

Holy crap is that impressive, great work

#25 Posted by Landon (4147 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

I will don't understand why people want to watch someone else play a entire videogame. Could someone explain it to me? I'm really curious.

Persona 4 is incredibly story driven, and if you skip all the episodes where they just grind and fuse personas, it's pretty much the equivalent of watching a tv show, or a long anime. Except Vinny and Jeff are there to comment on everything, which will make anything more entertaining. If anything, you should watch a few episodes of the Best Of on youtube, maybe that will clear up why people fell in love with it and beg for more.

#26 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1855 posts) -

Oh dude, I'd pay out of the nose for this.

#27 Posted by Legend (2659 posts) -

If they sold that on the WM shop, I would buy two! Wait, make that three!!

#28 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Wow, I would so buy one of those!

#29 Posted by MikkaQ (10294 posts) -

This is pretty much the coolest thing ever and has me looking at blu-ray writers online.

#30 Posted by Civraz (392 posts) -

I would definitely buy this. This is spectacular!

#31 Posted by joshth (505 posts) -

This... I want this... SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO badly.

WHAT DO YOU WANT? I WILL GIVE YOU ANYTHING...

#32 Posted by GlenTennis (3145 posts) -

Holy shit, that's awesome!

#33 Posted by SilvarusLupus (310 posts) -

Duuuuuuuuude. That is amazing. Hats off to you, good sir.

#34 Posted by sarge1445 (676 posts) -

if it ever came out in a place I could purchase it would easily spend up to 100 dollars

#35 Posted by DallyDoll (179 posts) -

This is incredible.

#36 Posted by BirthWild (259 posts) -

Gosh Dang Perfect.  

I love you. You're a wonderful person.

#37 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1546 posts) -

Wow, this is pretty awesome. I think the only way to host those BD images is to make a torrent or pay for some webhosting. That or parting it out to some file sharing site, which isn't that ideal.

#38 Posted by Bocam (3761 posts) -

@MikeFightNight: Any chance you could put up the Blu-Ray ISOs somewhere?

#39 Posted by MiniPato (2741 posts) -

YOU BRILLIANT BASTARD!

#40 Posted by TooWalrus (13218 posts) -

You might be my hero.

#41 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4974 posts) -

Not sure on the legality of this as I don't think you can sell these copies without permission from Whiskey Media and/or Atlus. It's still awesome!

#42 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2994 posts) -

@Bocam said:

@MikeFightNight: Any chance you could put up the Blu-Ray ISOs somewhere?

wait like some gigantic p2p thing? Even all of us dedicated fans would be hard pressed to seed the hundreds and hundreds of gigabytes. Plus I think whiskey media would think that was infringement. Someone should ask them if they're cool with it though even if torrenting giant 40+gb isos would fail spectacularly we could at least try xD.

#43 Posted by Ben_H (3366 posts) -

SO AMAZING

Anyone who has not watched the OG Endurance Run, watch it, right now. Stop whatever you are doing, it is not as important, go watch it, take some crystal meth so you can marathon all 100+ hours of it at once. It is probably the best thing this site has ever produced. It was like watching your favourite TV show every day, for over 6 months. It was the highlight of my day.

I would buy that so fast. I'm actually watching through the original Endurance Run right now, I'm on like episode 18. I always forget just how hilarious the girl rolling on E sitting in her desk it. Cracks me up every time. "I AM THE MUSHROOM QUEEN"

#44 Edited by MikeFightNight (1110 posts) -

I would like to thank everybody for all their kind words! I started this as a dumb thing just for myself and a few friends, but I am happy to see that others can appreciate it too!

#45 Posted by Djratchet (669 posts) -

Here is all my money, please take it.

#46 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5426 posts) -

This is awesome.

#47 Posted by Piqued_Interest (63 posts) -

Insert meme image of Fry throwing money at stuff.

#48 Posted by amlabella (323 posts) -

Absolutely incredible job. You should definitely make/send a copy to Jeff and Vinny. I imagine there might be some problems with Atlus/Whiskey Media about selling copies, otherwise you could probably make quite a bit from the GB community, including myself. Would love to have a physical copy like that.

#49 Edited by Monkeyman04 (1140 posts) -

Holy shit dude! That's amazing work right there. I would love to make my own copy from it, but I sadly don't have a blu-ray burner. So, can I send you money and just get a copy from you? =P

#50 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -

Yeah I'm totally going to do that now. Fucking rad.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.