The quality of the story in this game.

#1 Posted by griefersstolemykeyboard (359 posts) -

So I got nothing going on this summer and decided to take a trip down memory lane and watch the ER one more time, and I kinda thought this the first time around, but isnt this plot basically that of a bad animes plot?
I mean there are plotholes so big that even the fattest man alive couldnt fill them, the Nanako asspull aswell, just seemed bad to me.

Note I am not saying Persona 4 is a bad game but doesnt the story suck some major ass or am I just crazy?

#2 Posted by Guyzea (816 posts) -

Get Bent.

#3 Posted by Fallen189 (4989 posts) -

Yeah, but Giantbomb endorsed it, so it gets overlooked.

#4 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

I dunno. I don't watch a lot of anime so I can't really compare. It seemed alright to me though. Sure it's about high schoolers so theres some dumb stuff happening (not to mention it'a a Japanese game), but it was interesting at least.

#5 Edited by TooWalrus (13173 posts) -

It was entertaining for what it was, a $40 Japanese RPG on the PS2. No, it wasn't perfect, but it's certainly not bad.

#6 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19330 posts) -

Oh come on.  I know of stereotypical anime stories, but Persona 4's was okay.  It was especially good because of the themes it dealt with and the characters, not necessarily the plot itself.  But the nice investigation vibe that was constantly present combined with the high school craziness was fine for me. 

And please give me an example of a plot hole in the game.

#7 Posted by The_Moorasaurus (88 posts) -

The story was farfetched and a little crazy, but, i honestly cared about the characters by the end of the game, and that is no small feat...

#8 Posted by obcdexter (592 posts) -

Not at all. The murder-mistery is compelling and the bigger picture those kids were never meant to fully get a hold of anyway.
The story is no rocket-science and certainly has its edges--but bad? Not in my book. Fun!

#9 Posted by DarkShaper (1327 posts) -

Example of a plot hole please.

#10 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

It's not that bad for a JRPG, but the story was never my main interest in the Persona series. It's the characters and social link/simulation stuff that make the game for me. The story in Persona 3 is an anime mess with teenagers saving the world against evil and all that, but I still fucking love that game. 

#11 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19330 posts) -
@Hourai said:
" The story in Persona 3 is an anime mess with teenagers saving the world against evil and all that, but I still fucking love that game.  "
Persona 3 FES has one of the best endings/climax I've ever seen in a video game.
#12 Posted by Supermarius (1196 posts) -
@griefersstolemykeyboard said:
" So I got nothing going on this summer and decided to take a trip down memory lane and watch the ER one more time, and I kinda thought this the first time around, but isnt this plot basically that of a bad animes plot? I mean there are plotholes so big that even the fattest man alive couldnt fill them, the Nanako asspull aswell, just seemed bad to me.  Note I am not saying Persona 4 is a bad game but doesnt the story suck some major ass or am I just crazy? "
Persona 4 has some of the greatest writing of any RPG, of any video game even, ever made. The story is so good that if you play through it, it will kind of wreck the rpg genre for you because the writing in most other games is so shitty when compared to it.  I am not kidding.
#13 Posted by Icemael (6317 posts) -

The story is pretty bad, but the characters are really, really good.

#14 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @Hourai said:
" The story in Persona 3 is an anime mess with teenagers saving the world against evil and all that, but I still fucking love that game.  "
Persona 3 FES has one of the best endings/climax I've ever seen in a video game. "
Really? I still haven't beaten it yet. Just got to September on my current playthrough and my furthest playthrough was somewhere in October. 
#15 Posted by obcdexter (592 posts) -
@Icemael said:
" The story is pretty bad, but the characters are really, really good. "
No and yes ;)
#16 Posted by litrock (173 posts) -

I'm not sure where the 'story is bad' is coming from. Is it goofy? Yes. Is it build in an episodic structure? Yes. But those are intentional choices. It's about being a kid and juggling all these demands while still being the hero. The nature of the story is a perfect framework to explore that kind of world.  I'm just not sure where the concrete examples of 'bad' are.

#17 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19330 posts) -
@Hourai said:
" @FluxWaveZ said: 
Persona 3 FES has one of the best endings/climax I've ever seen in a video game. "
Really? I still haven't beaten it yet. Just got to September on my current playthrough and my furthest playthrough was somewhere in October.  "
Definitely.  Absolutely.  I loved how everything ended; it was great.  You should go all the way if you're already playing it.
#18 Posted by Icemael (6317 posts) -
@obcdexter said:
" @Icemael said:
No and yes ;) "
But it is and indeed.
#19 Posted by obcdexter (592 posts) -

Nope, it isn't bad at all, actually.

#20 Posted by Hailinel (24423 posts) -
@griefersstolemykeyboard said:
" So I got nothing going on this summer and decided to take a trip down memory lane and watch the ER one more time, and I kinda thought this the first time around, but isnt this plot basically that of a bad animes plot? I mean there are plotholes so big that even the fattest man alive couldnt fill them, the Nanako asspull aswell, just seemed bad to me.  Note I am not saying Persona 4 is a bad game but doesnt the story suck some major ass or am I just crazy? "
You do realize that
#21 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19330 posts) -
@griefersstolemykeyboard: And you still haven't given an example of any plot hole from the game.  It's almost as if you posted this only to incite a negative reaction. 

@Icemael said:
" @obcdexter said:
" @Icemael said:
No and yes ;) "
But it is and indeed. "
I wouldn't say it's bad, until the start of the "True Ending".  I didn't really appreciate anything that went on after, in my mind, everything should have wrapped up.
#22 Posted by harinosho (594 posts) -
@Fallen189 said:
" Yeah, but Giantbomb endorsed it, so it gets overlooked. "

#23 Posted by FlyingOx (7 posts) -

I could name a dozen story plots, anime or otherwise, that are cliche, stereotyped, or flat out bizarre, but succeed thanks to excellent storytelling, characters and attention to detail. P4 is one of them.

#24 Posted by TheLawnWrangler (1656 posts) -
@Guyzea said:
" Get Bent. "
NO TOUCHING 

sorry, couldn't resist
#25 Posted by DevWil (842 posts) -

i thought it was pretty good.

#26 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

Where are the plot holes, OP?  TELL!!!

#27 Edited by hai2u (322 posts) -

the story was ok but turned into complete shit after the killer has been dealt with. it basically went from a murder mystery to a rehash of P3's final boss of a supernatural god with similar motivations of "oh noez mankind is wishing me to destroy teh world so therefore i must give them what they want".

#28 Posted by Waffles13 (609 posts) -

I have zero interest in anime, and this was my first (and only) JRPG (unless you count them Pokemans), and I fucking loved the story. Sure, it was often cliche and some of the twists are pretty obvious, but I thought it flowed nicely, the characters were awesome, and it wrapped up pretty damn well.

Then again, maybe I'm biased, seeing as how I fought off those Japanese gods back in high school. Oh, to be 16 again.

#29 Posted by SecondPersonShooter (616 posts) -

I thought the story was amazing for a videogame, probably one of the best told I've seen in that specific format.

Of course it's not up to snuff with cinema or probably even anime, but this is a videogame we're talking about.

Also, your icon is a character from Bleach, if you enjoy that you have no place to talk about plot holes and bad anime.

#30 Posted by DonutFever (3551 posts) -

I don't watch anime, but I'm not embarrassed by Persona's plot like I am by the clips I've seen from anime. 

#31 Posted by DonutFever (3551 posts) -
@hai2u said:
" the story was ok but turned into complete shit after the killer has been dealt with. it basically went from a murder mystery to a rehash of P3's final boss of a supernatural god with similar motivations of "oh noez mankind is wishing me to destroy teh world so therefore i must give them what they want". "
Not only that, it also got unbelievably idealistic.
#33 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -

It was okay until the end, then it just got horrid... keep seeming like stuff was being tact on, other than that it's an alright game, but it will never be my persona 3

#34 Posted by DonutFever (3551 posts) -

I still don't know what the plot holes that everyone's talking about are...

#35 Posted by ThePickle (4168 posts) -

The story in P4 is awesome

#36 Edited by DonutFever (3551 posts) -

A Few Words:  
Young Detective. 
Them Bitches. 
Get Bent. 
Big Bro. 
Popularity Leads To Intimacy. 
AHA! Is This Our Chance? 

#37 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

Eh. Its alright, there aren't any plotholes at all actually with exception of the NO I WILL NOT PUT MY HAND IN  THE TV TO PROVE THERE IS A WORLD IN THERE nonsense. Oh, and the Nanako asspull.

The characters and some of the S-links are incredibly, soulcrushingly awesome, though.

#38 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@Icemael said:
Elaborate plz

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.