What if Endurance Run gets the Bad Ending?

  • 90 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by JeanLuc (3571 posts) -

Because Jeff and Vinny haven't beat Persona 4, I think it would be rather mean to spoil the ending for them, but what if they unwillingly choose the bad ending? Do you think they would reload the game or end it the way it is? How would you feel if the Endurance Run was to end on such a downer?

#2 Posted by Weltal (2272 posts) -

I'm pretty sure it's already gotten the unhappy ending.

#3 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

I think when the time comes, we can warn them of how to get the good ending. Hey! I even think someone wrote a guide on this subject.

#4 Posted by JeanLuc (3571 posts) -

Why episode 50 is up

#5 Edited by Weltal (2272 posts) -
wasteguru said:
"Why episode 50 is up"
*Hugs* You crazy son-of-a-bitch! I'm so happy. Bye now.
#6 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3500 posts) -

I'm sure a flood of comments will tell them to save right before December 3rd.  Maybe they'll even be convinced to make a second save by then.

#7 Posted by ParanoidFreak (1461 posts) -

I think they should just finish with the bad ending if that's what it comes to.

#8 Posted by Agent_Lost (899 posts) -
Origina1Penguin said:
"I'm sure a flood of comments will tell them to save right before December 3rd.  Maybe they'll even be convinced to make a second save by then."
Yep, It will be the time went everyone that as finish the game will spam the answer so Jeff and Vinny get the Good ending.
#9 Posted by zitosilva (1838 posts) -

Geting the bad ending isn't that huge of a deal. It's about a 20 minute cutscene from the save point to the moment where you can "decide" the ending you get. They could just re-do that part. And if they find it too boring to show it again, they could just edit up to the point and go "hey everybody, now we're going for the better ending!" or something like that.

#10 Posted by RelentlessKnight (963 posts) -

I will start crying... I bet Vinny will too

#11 Posted by CenturionCajun (1461 posts) -

I'm sure that they're aware enough to know what to do in order to get the "correct" ending. Have faith in the Giant Bomb.

#12 Posted by pause422 (6172 posts) -

I love the ER a ton, but honestly, I doubt they'll make it that far in general before wanting to give up. They cut it so close both times...I really doubt they will be prepared for things as far up as the end of the game. I just have a feeling they'll be at a wall they can't get past and be tired of it long before its even close to the end.

#13 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

They are nearly 25 hours into the game and are maybe 1/5th through the game...honestly it will take them at least 125 hours to beat it and will most likely stop by then (figure another 100 episodes+ at 1 hour each, on top of that if they die at all), that will be atleast another 6 months to complete it. Also they will NOT get the good ending unless they follow a guide on their first play through. I am literally up to that ground breaking part of the game myself; 51 hours in after the final exams, the night before the dialogue is going to happen which controls the ending. I have not used a guide until this point as from another thread finding out about it and from a friend that just finished the game today. They will need one, its 6 sentences that need to be responded to properly and ya...good luck with that.

#14 Posted by Fr0Br0 (3089 posts) -

That would have been funny if they got the bad ending on April Fool's day and said they were done with the run. Then continue to play with a different save the next day.

#15 Posted by JeanLuc (3571 posts) -
Subject2Change said:
"They are nearly 25 hours into the game and are maybe 1/5th through the game...honestly it will take them at least 125 hours to beat it and will most likely stop by then (figure another 100 episodes+ at 1 hour each, on top of that if they die at all), that will be atleast another 6 months to complete it. Also they will NOT get the good ending unless they follow a guide on their first play through. I am literally up to that ground breaking part of the game myself; 51 hours in after the final exams, the night before the dialogue is going to happen which controls the ending. I have not used a guide until this point as from another thread finding out about it and from a friend that just finished the game today. They will need one, its 6 sentences that need to be responded to properly and ya...good luck with that."

Thats what I'm worried about. I thought I was doing alright, but I fucked up that dialogue and BANG, bad ending.
#16 Posted by ShaunM (82 posts) -

I'm pretty sure that the community would band together to try and make sure that Jeff and Vinny are informed of how to go to the True Ending by any means necessary.

#17 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

I don't think it matters. Its better to let the experience unfold how they choose, rather than following a guide. I'm just as clueless as them as to what will happen next, and think it'll be better just to see what happens, and watch the magic unfold.

#18 Edited by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

Ya wasteguru said:

"Subject2Change said:
"They are nearly 25 hours into the game and are maybe 1/5th through the game...honestly it will take them at least 125 hours to beat it and will most likely stop by then (figure another 100 episodes+ at 1 hour each, on top of that if they die at all), that will be atleast another 6 months to complete it. Also they will NOT get the good ending unless they follow a guide on their first play through. I am literally up to that ground breaking part of the game myself; 51 hours in after the final exams, the night before the dialogue is going to happen which controls the ending. I have not used a guide until this point as from another thread finding out about it and from a friend that just finished the game today. They will need one, its 6 sentences that need to be responded to properly and ya...good luck with that."
Thats what I'm worried about. I thought I was doing alright, but I fucked up that dialogue and BANG, bad ending."

Yup literally just got past it today; have a save before that night and will go through it again to see the bad ending. However didn't want to spend another 51 hours getting back to that point and unlike them I have many many many save files. lol.

I think it does matter and they would be quite  disappointed seeing that ending as well as everyone watching at home; I think everyone hates playing an RPG or any game and getting a bad ending especially for something so stupid as entering in 6 phrases correctly; one mistake and you fail.
#19 Posted by Loveisabadday (16 posts) -

Was it that difficult to avoid the bad ending? I didn't use a guide when I played and I didn't answer anything wrong. I think it was pretty obvious which things you should pick given the situation, though I might have gotten lucky. Now the getting the true ending was something else. I don't think anyone would know how to get it if they didn't have a guide. I had to come back a week later after I beat the game to do it. (luckily I didn't save over my old save when I was saving the new game + file).

#20 Posted by RipTheVeins (1544 posts) -

well for me I had an additional 20 hours after the bad ending fork came up so if they do get past it there'll be about 40 additional episodes if they continue to go at the same pace...so take that info as it pertains to you.

#21 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2051 posts) -

Would I like them to get the good ending? Yes
Would I like them to get the true ending? Yes
Chances of either of those happening: Slim to none.

#22 Posted by trav3ler (168 posts) -

Given their resistance to spoilerrific advice or consulting guides, they're going to get the bad ending.  They might make an exception since it's such a BFD, but who knows.


You also have to consider that by that point, they might be sick of the ER, and just want it to end.
#23 Posted by endaround (2138 posts) -

Well if they ever get the Empress SL my guess is they'll start looking at an FAQ

Online
#24 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

There is pretty much no way in hell they are getting the true ending without a guide or without someone telling them what to do. Maybe the good ending, but that will require a lot of luck...

#25 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

I'm 100% sure they will get the bad ending because I didn't get the good one my first time through

#26 Posted by Shadow (4977 posts) -

That's the great thing about the endurance run:  It doesn't matter.  They aren't playing for a specific ending.  They are playing the game like it was mean to be played: without a guide, and without knowing for sure what's around the next corner.

#27 Posted by Sarumarine (2168 posts) -

Yeah, what Shadow said. I don't think we should really be worrying about what ending they get. Just let them play the game straight up. I'm sure not many people got the good ending first time through or even the true ending.

#28 Posted by Curufinwe (1243 posts) -

They should use the endings guide on this site if they go back after getting the Bad Ending.

#29 Edited by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

Eh for me I have way too many titles to play and figured i'd want to see how the game was meant to be seen. While I know slightly whats coming up (about to do the True Ending dungeon) it feels like time I spent was worth it. I find it annoying about the various endings in a game, I guess it gives some people a reason to replay but for me I want to know how the game is supposed to end not that some little detail i messed up on ruined my 60 hour game session.

As for them not completing it, honestly P4 isn't that hard of an RPG i can think of one difficult fight so far and thats really it and it was difficult because it required heavy SP usage for me and I had to use a Soma. If they can put in the time (and for them it'll be longer than 80 hours) they'll have no problems.

#30 Posted by papercut (3446 posts) -

I think the 6 responses needed to go down the good ending path are pretty easy to guess. The fifth one they may bone though. When it comes to guessing the culprit I'm 100% sure they will guess who it is. What it really comes down to is will they get the six answers right.

I say when and if they reach November we will all email and comment at the top of our internet lungs "3rd 1st 3rd 2nd 3rd 2nd!" and hope they pick up on it.

#31 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3171 posts) -
ParanoidFreak said:
"I think they should just finish with the bad ending if that's what it comes to."
That would suck so bad. The bad endings are pretty bad. At least get the normal ending.
#32 Posted by papercut (3446 posts) -

So now we know that they know about the endings now based in ep. 63. do we have anything to worry about now?

#33 Posted by GregIsRad (161 posts) -

Bad ending is depressing as hell. Especially the credits music which is dramatically convenient if you've seen the true ending route.

#34 Posted by MiserableGerm (172 posts) -

Funny thing is they can just check out the bad ending and then go ahead for the normal ending. The setup allows for someone to do that.

#35 Edited by ChrisTaran (1564 posts) -
papercut said:
"I think the 6 responses needed to go down the good ending path are pretty easy to guess. The fifth one they may bone though. When it comes to guessing the culprit I'm 100% sure they will guess who it is. What it really comes down to is will they get the six answers right. I say when and if they reach November we will all email and comment at the top of our internet lungs "3rd 1st 3rd 2nd 3rd 2nd!" and hope they pick up on it."
Easy to guess?  Even after I found out what you should answer (because my first time doing it was far from right), the responses they want you to do to get the good ending are far from what I would have ever imagined they'd be.  I thought it was very unintuitive.  Total FAQ moment.

Edit: And I'm talking about that one scene, not guessing the culprit.  The culprit was always easy to figure out.
#36 Posted by nick69 (625 posts) -

really, i could care less. Let them get what they get.

#37 Edited by Vect (204 posts) -

Well, their official stance is that once the credits roll, it's officially over. Still, I do think that the guys are the type that while they probably know what decision is going to be right at the end (Jeff at least is Genre Savvy enough to know what they should do) might just end up not choosing the options the game wants them to choose.

It'd be real sad if they end on the Bad Ending, but if it's bad enough, they might pull a Wayne's World and decide "Man, this ending sucks, let's go for the Happy Ending *Reload*"

#38 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

They better avoid the bad ending, it was so depressing compared to the normal ending. I'd hate to see it end that way, the endurance can only properly end with at least the normal ending.

#39 Posted by m1k3 (1325 posts) -

I think giving them what to say will go against their "no walkthrough/guide". obviously they looked through a guide to get answers to funky's quiz and exams, but i think giving them that many answers goes against the endurance runs policies.

Hey what happens, happens. They even said so. But, its their endurance run. They can do what ever the hell they want.

#40 Posted by Vect (204 posts) -

Well, if it ends it ends. At least it'd be one helluva ride.

#41 Posted by Dimsey (948 posts) -

Not fussed about what ending they get. An endings an ending. I'm watching because they're hilarious and failure is usually funnier then success.
If I really cared about the ending I'd play the game myself.

#42 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3500 posts) -

I'm sure Jeff is still not convinced they'll be able to finish it.  If they make it that far, they might not even need help to get at least the good ending.  They are competent with dialogue choices.  Much more so than combat anyways.

#43 Edited by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
@Dimsey said:
"Not fussed about what ending they get. An endings an ending. I'm watching because they're hilarious and failure is usually funnier then success.If I really cared about the ending I'd play the game myself. "

Dude, there is absolutely nothing funny about the bad ending. As awesome as Jeff and Vinny are, it will be impossible for them to derive any humour  from the bad ending. Trust me, that's how depressing it is.
#44 Posted by Gahzoo (361 posts) -

I got the Normal Ending on my first try, altough i did know there was other endings, so i guess it wasn't completely natural choices i made, but if they get the normal or true ending  I will......hrm.............uhhh.......erm......eat the Persona 4 Artbook? yeah that sounds good.

#45 Edited by Vect (204 posts) -

If the guys try to make any joke from the bad ending, it'll probably come off as awkward and rather inappropriate. It's pretty bad.

Still, here's hopin' for the best results. At the best, Jeff does have enough of a clue to take a few guesses.

#46 Posted by gakon (1945 posts) -
@m1k3 said:
" I think giving them what to say will go against their "no walkthrough/guide". obviously they looked through a guide to get answers to funky's quiz and exams, but i think giving them that many answers goes against the endurance runs policies. Hey what happens, happens. They even said so. But, its their endurance run. They can do what ever the hell they want. "
I dunno, they've been using the guidance of the community since the first dungeon, and even Jeff has already given up on quiz questions and is using a FAQ for those.

Haven't seen P4's bad ending, but the P3 bad ending is a little depressing, as short as it is, mostly because of the complete about-face all the character's make in their outlook on life.  The sky didn't come falling down like I had hoped it would, though.
#47 Posted by Mikemcn (6954 posts) -

Does anyone know about how close they are to the ending, regardless of what it is?

#48 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
@Mikemcn said:
" Does anyone know about how close they are to the ending, regardless of what it is? "
They are just at the halfway point of the game.
#49 Posted by Vect (204 posts) -
@gakon5 said:
I dunno, they've been using the guidance of the community since the first dungeon, and even Jeff has already given up on quiz questions and is using a FAQ for those.Haven't seen P4's bad ending, but the P3 bad ending is a little depressing, as short as it is, mostly because of the complete about-face all the character's make in their outlook on life.  The sky didn't come falling down like I had hoped it would, though. "
Well, it is pretty depressing. While the Persona 3 ending is basically the main characters giving up all hope, the Persona 4 ending is them failing and seeing the people close to them suffer for it.

That's as well as I can describe it without completely spoiling it.

So if they end on a bad ending it will leave a bad taste in all of our mouths. Getting the Normal ending would be nice. Getting the True Ending would end it spectacularly... But we're hardly at that point. We'll burn that bridge when we cross it (is it how that goes) likely.
#50 Posted by gakon (1945 posts) -
@Vect said:
" @gakon5 said:
I dunno, they've been using the guidance of the community since the first dungeon, and even Jeff has already given up on quiz questions and is using a FAQ for those.Haven't seen P4's bad ending, but the P3 bad ending is a little depressing, as short as it is, mostly because of the complete about-face all the character's make in their outlook on life.  The sky didn't come falling down like I had hoped it would, though. "
Well, it is pretty depressing. While the Persona 3 ending is basically the main characters giving up all hope, the Persona 4 ending is them failing and seeing the people close to them suffer for it.That's as well as I can describe it without completely spoiling it.So if they end on a bad ending it will leave a bad taste in all of our mouths. Getting the Normal ending would be nice. Getting the True Ending would end it spectacularly... But we're hardly at that point. We'll burn that bridge when we cross it (is it how that goes) likely. "
We could burn the metaphorical bridge after we cross it, but it would be best to, when we come across such a bridge, determine how to cross it.  But until that happens, we don't need to worry about it. (I don't know how that analogy goes, haha)

(P3 sort-of spoilers to the right) What's sad about P3's ending is how you go against the wishes of your friends, only to turn them into clueless, less-motivated versions of themselves.  And then do karaoke!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.