Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

What if Endurance Run gets the Bad Ending?

• 89 results
    jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Because Jeff and Vinny haven't beat Persona 4, I think it would be rather mean to spoil the ending for them, but what if they unwillingly choose the bad ending? Do you think they would reload the game or end it the way it is? How would you feel if the Endurance Run was to end on such a downer?

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By weltal

I'm pretty sure it's already gotten the unhappy ending.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Red

I think when the time comes, we can warn them of how to get the good ending. Hey! I even think someone wrote a guide on this subject.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Why episode 50 is up

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By weltal
    wasteguru said:
    "Why episode 50 is up"
    *Hugs* You crazy son-of-a-bitch! I'm so happy. Bye now.
    Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I'm sure a flood of comments will tell them to save right before December 3rd.  Maybe they'll even be convinced to make a second save by then.

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By ParanoidFreak

I think they should just finish with the bad ending if that's what it comes to.

agent_lost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By agent_lost
    Origina1Penguin said:
    "I'm sure a flood of comments will tell them to save right before December 3rd.  Maybe they'll even be convinced to make a second save by then."
    Yep, It will be the time went everyone that as finish the game will spam the answer so Jeff and Vinny get the Good ending.
    zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By zitosilva

Geting the bad ending isn't that huge of a deal. It's about a 20 minute cutscene from the save point to the moment where you can "decide" the ending you get. They could just re-do that part. And if they find it too boring to show it again, they could just edit up to the point and go "hey everybody, now we're going for the better ending!" or something like that.

Avatar image for relentlessknight
    RelentlessKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#10  Edited By RelentlessKnight

I will start crying... I bet Vinny will too

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By CenturionCajun

I'm sure that they're aware enough to know what to do in order to get the "correct" ending. Have faith in the Giant Bomb.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By pause422

I love the ER a ton, but honestly, I doubt they'll make it that far in general before wanting to give up. They cut it so close both times...I really doubt they will be prepared for things as far up as the end of the game. I just have a feeling they'll be at a wall they can't get past and be tired of it long before its even close to the end.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By subject2change

They are nearly 25 hours into the game and are maybe 1/5th through the game...honestly it will take them at least 125 hours to beat it and will most likely stop by then (figure another 100 episodes+ at 1 hour each, on top of that if they die at all), that will be atleast another 6 months to complete it. Also they will NOT get the good ending unless they follow a guide on their first play through. I am literally up to that ground breaking part of the game myself; 51 hours in after the final exams, the night before the dialogue is going to happen which controls the ending. I have not used a guide until this point as from another thread finding out about it and from a friend that just finished the game today. They will need one, its 6 sentences that need to be responded to properly and ya...good luck with that.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By fr0br0

That would have been funny if they got the bad ending on April Fool's day and said they were done with the run. Then continue to play with a different save the next day.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jeanluc  Staff
    Subject2Change said:
    "They are nearly 25 hours into the game and are maybe 1/5th through the game...honestly it will take them at least 125 hours to beat it and will most likely stop by then (figure another 100 episodes+ at 1 hour each, on top of that if they die at all), that will be atleast another 6 months to complete it. Also they will NOT get the good ending unless they follow a guide on their first play through. I am literally up to that ground breaking part of the game myself; 51 hours in after the final exams, the night before the dialogue is going to happen which controls the ending. I have not used a guide until this point as from another thread finding out about it and from a friend that just finished the game today. They will need one, its 6 sentences that need to be responded to properly and ya...good luck with that."

Thats what I'm worried about. I thought I was doing alright, but I fucked up that dialogue and BANG, bad ending.
    ShaunM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ShaunM

I'm pretty sure that the community would band together to try and make sure that Jeff and Vinny are informed of how to go to the True Ending by any means necessary.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Tylea002

I don't think it matters. Its better to let the experience unfold how they choose, rather than following a guide. I'm just as clueless as them as to what will happen next, and think it'll be better just to see what happens, and watch the magic unfold.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By subject2change

Ya wasteguru said:

"Subject2Change said:
    "They are nearly 25 hours into the game and are maybe 1/5th through the game...honestly it will take them at least 125 hours to beat it and will most likely stop by then (figure another 100 episodes+ at 1 hour each, on top of that if they die at all), that will be atleast another 6 months to complete it. Also they will NOT get the good ending unless they follow a guide on their first play through. I am literally up to that ground breaking part of the game myself; 51 hours in after the final exams, the night before the dialogue is going to happen which controls the ending. I have not used a guide until this point as from another thread finding out about it and from a friend that just finished the game today. They will need one, its 6 sentences that need to be responded to properly and ya...good luck with that."
    Thats what I'm worried about. I thought I was doing alright, but I fucked up that dialogue and BANG, bad ending."

Yup literally just got past it today; have a save before that night and will go through it again to see the bad ending. However didn't want to spend another 51 hours getting back to that point and unlike them I have many many many save files. lol.

I think it does matter and they would be quite  disappointed seeing that ending as well as everyone watching at home; I think everyone hates playing an RPG or any game and getting a bad ending especially for something so stupid as entering in 6 phrases correctly; one mistake and you fail.
    Loveisabadday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Loveisabadday

Was it that difficult to avoid the bad ending? I didn't use a guide when I played and I didn't answer anything wrong. I think it was pretty obvious which things you should pick given the situation, though I might have gotten lucky. Now the getting the true ending was something else. I don't think anyone would know how to get it if they didn't have a guide. I had to come back a week later after I beat the game to do it. (luckily I didn't save over my old save when I was saving the new game + file).

RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RipTheVeins

well for me I had an additional 20 hours after the bad ending fork came up so if they do get past it there'll be about 40 additional episodes if they continue to go at the same pace...so take that info as it pertains to you.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By InfiniteGeass

Would I like them to get the good ending? Yes
    Would I like them to get the true ending? Yes
    Chances of either of those happening: Slim to none.

trav3ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By trav3ler

Given their resistance to spoilerrific advice or consulting guides, they're going to get the bad ending.  They might make an exception since it's such a BFD, but who knows.

You also have to consider that by that point, they might be sick of the ER, and just want it to end.
    endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By endaround

Well if they ever get the Empress SL my guess is they'll start looking at an FAQ

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By subject2change

There is pretty much no way in hell they are getting the true ending without a guide or without someone telling them what to do. Maybe the good ending, but that will require a lot of luck...

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By trophyhunter

I'm 100% sure they will get the bad ending because I didn't get the good one my first time through

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Shadow

That's the great thing about the endurance run:  It doesn't matter.  They aren't playing for a specific ending.  They are playing the game like it was mean to be played: without a guide, and without knowing for sure what's around the next corner.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Sarumarine

Yeah, what Shadow said. I don't think we should really be worrying about what ending they get. Just let them play the game straight up. I'm sure not many people got the good ending first time through or even the true ending.

Curufinwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Curufinwe

They should use the endings guide on this site if they go back after getting the Bad Ending.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By subject2change

Eh for me I have way too many titles to play and figured i'd want to see how the game was meant to be seen. While I know slightly whats coming up (about to do the True Ending dungeon) it feels like time I spent was worth it. I find it annoying about the various endings in a game, I guess it gives some people a reason to replay but for me I want to know how the game is supposed to end not that some little detail i messed up on ruined my 60 hour game session.

As for them not completing it, honestly P4 isn't that hard of an RPG i can think of one difficult fight so far and thats really it and it was difficult because it required heavy SP usage for me and I had to use a Soma. If they can put in the time (and for them it'll be longer than 80 hours) they'll have no problems.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By papercut

I think the 6 responses needed to go down the good ending path are pretty easy to guess. The fifth one they may bone though. When it comes to guessing the culprit I'm 100% sure they will guess who it is. What it really comes down to is will they get the six answers right.

I say when and if they reach November we will all email and comment at the top of our internet lungs "3rd 1st 3rd 2nd 3rd 2nd!" and hope they pick up on it.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Dan_CiTi
    ParanoidFreak said:
    "I think they should just finish with the bad ending if that's what it comes to."
    That would suck so bad. The bad endings are pretty bad. At least get the normal ending.
    papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By papercut

So now we know that they know about the endings now based in ep. 63. do we have anything to worry about now?

GregIsRad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GregIsRad

Bad ending is depressing as hell. Especially the credits music which is dramatically convenient if you've seen the true ending route.

MiserableGerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MiserableGerm

Funny thing is they can just check out the bad ending and then go ahead for the normal ending. The setup allows for someone to do that.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ChrisTaran
    papercut said:
    "I think the 6 responses needed to go down the good ending path are pretty easy to guess. The fifth one they may bone though. When it comes to guessing the culprit I'm 100% sure they will guess who it is. What it really comes down to is will they get the six answers right. I say when and if they reach November we will all email and comment at the top of our internet lungs "3rd 1st 3rd 2nd 3rd 2nd!" and hope they pick up on it."
    Easy to guess?  Even after I found out what you should answer (because my first time doing it was far from right), the responses they want you to do to get the good ending are far from what I would have ever imagined they'd be.  I thought it was very unintuitive.  Total FAQ moment.

Edit: And I'm talking about that one scene, not guessing the culprit.  The culprit was always easy to figure out.
    nick69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By nick69

really, i could care less. Let them get what they get.

Vect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Vect

Well, their official stance is that once the credits roll, it's officially over. Still, I do think that the guys are the type that while they probably know what decision is going to be right at the end (Jeff at least is Genre Savvy enough to know what they should do) might just end up not choosing the options the game wants them to choose.

It'd be real sad if they end on the Bad Ending, but if it's bad enough, they might pull a Wayne's World and decide "Man, this ending sucks, let's go for the Happy Ending *Reload*"

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FrankCanada97

They better avoid the bad ending, it was so depressing compared to the normal ending. I'd hate to see it end that way, the endurance can only properly end with at least the normal ending.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By m1k3

I think giving them what to say will go against their "no walkthrough/guide". obviously they looked through a guide to get answers to funky's quiz and exams, but i think giving them that many answers goes against the endurance runs policies.

Hey what happens, happens. They even said so. But, its their endurance run. They can do what ever the hell they want.

Vect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Vect

Well, if it ends it ends. At least it'd be one helluva ride.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#41  Edited By Dimsey

Not fussed about what ending they get. An endings an ending. I'm watching because they're hilarious and failure is usually funnier then success.
    If I really cared about the ending I'd play the game myself.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I'm sure Jeff is still not convinced they'll be able to finish it.  If they make it that far, they might not even need help to get at least the good ending.  They are competent with dialogue choices.  Much more so than combat anyways.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @Dimsey said:
    "Not fussed about what ending they get. An endings an ending. I'm watching because they're hilarious and failure is usually funnier then success.If I really cared about the ending I'd play the game myself. "

Dude, there is absolutely nothing funny about the bad ending. As awesome as Jeff and Vinny are, it will be impossible for them to derive any humour  from the bad ending. Trust me, that's how depressing it is.
    Gahzoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Gahzoo

I got the Normal Ending on my first try, altough i did know there was other endings, so i guess it wasn't completely natural choices i made, but if they get the normal or true ending  I will......hrm.............uhhh.......erm......eat the Persona 4 Artbook? yeah that sounds good.

Vect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Vect

If the guys try to make any joke from the bad ending, it'll probably come off as awkward and rather inappropriate. It's pretty bad.

Still, here's hopin' for the best results. At the best, Jeff does have enough of a clue to take a few guesses.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By mikemcn

Does anyone know about how close they are to the ending, regardless of what it is?

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @Mikemcn said:
    " Does anyone know about how close they are to the ending, regardless of what it is? "
    They are just at the halfway point of the game.
    Vect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Vect
    @gakon5 said:
    I dunno, they've been using the guidance of the community since the first dungeon, and even Jeff has already given up on quiz questions and is using a FAQ for those.Haven't seen P4's bad ending, but the P3 bad ending is a little depressing, as short as it is, mostly because of the complete about-face all the character's make in their outlook on life.  The sky didn't come falling down like I had hoped it would, though. "
    Well, it is pretty depressing. While the Persona 3 ending is basically the main characters giving up all hope, the Persona 4 ending is them failing and seeing the people close to them suffer for it.

That's as well as I can describe it without completely spoiling it.

So if they end on a bad ending it will leave a bad taste in all of our mouths. Getting the Normal ending would be nice. Getting the True Ending would end it spectacularly... But we're hardly at that point. We'll burn that bridge when we cross it (is it how that goes) likely.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.