Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

Who are the essential characters of the P4 cast?

Zripwud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Zripwud

Playing Persona 4 Arena made me realize that altough there were great characters in Persona 3, you don't really need more than those three, Aigis, Mitsuru and Akihiko. They are key characters. Jumpei, Yukari or Fuuka aren't that important. I do miss Koromaru though. But doing the same thing with Persona 4 characters is way harder. I mean, I can't tell who are the important ones. Who do you think are the essential characters of the P4 cast?

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By psylah

Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, and Teddie.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Morooka, the Aiya owner, and that kid who always walks in front of the camera when somebody invites you to lunch.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee

Funky Student and Adachi Baby.

EerieTraveler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By EerieTraveler

@Video_Game_King said:

Morooka, the Aiya owner, and that kid who always walks in front of the camera when somebody invites you to lunch.

@Yummylee said:

Funky Student and Adachi Baby.

This is the greatest cast of characters ever assembled. Persona 5, anyone?

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By AndrewB
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Hailinel

Before this thread goes horribly off the rails...

• Yu is an obvious choice, because he is the protagonist of P4 and P4A suggests that he has another adventure coming.
    • Teddie, because he's a Shadow and has a unique perspective on all of this.
    • Naoto, because her detective work is pretty key.
    • Yosuke, because he's also pretty wrapped up in this investigation and has close ties to Yu and Teddie.

Then again, there's a lot about P5 that we just don't know, like how long after P4A that it takes place, or who the central cast will be. It's completely plausible that the main party of P5 will be comprised of another batch of high school students that comes across P3 and P4 characters during the course of their adventure.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nottle

@Zripwud: In all seriousness the one that makes the most sense going forward is Naoto. After that its a bit blurry. Yukiko was one of my favorites in P4 but I think she should stay in Inaba or whatever, same with Kanji, Chie, and Yosuke. I feel like by the end of the S. Links their stories wrap up. They should just live there normal lives.

Though I kind of like Yosuke as Yu's partner. They should always be a team along with Chie and Yukiko, and Teddie and Yosuke.. Also part of me wants Naoto and Kanji to be around each other more because Kanji should get his, that joke ending of arena was too good. Teddie and Rise aren't really natives of Inaba, I could see them traveling about.

I personally just find it weird that the whole group would leave Inaba. If I picked 3 characters to move on because of importance they would be Naoto, Yu, and Teddie. But maybe Yosuke and Kanji would fit in just to make me happy.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hailinel
    Zripwud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zripwud

It's pretty weird how Yu turn out to be a full fledge character all of the sudden. I love what they did with him in The Animation.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AndrewB

@Hailinel: Rumor-loving student, or Junpei?

I haven't played Persona 4 Arena or fallen into the new story they're apparently telling, but if you played Persona 3 and don't feel like Junpei is an important character to *that* story, I don't know what to say.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Nottle

@Hailinel said:

Before this thread goes horribly off the rails...

• Yu is an obvious choice, because he is the protagonist of P4 and P4A suggests that he has another adventure coming.
    • Teddie, because he's a Shadow and has a unique perspective on all of this.
    • Naoto, because her detective work is pretty key.
    • Yosuke, because he's also pretty wrapped up in this investigation and has close ties to Yu and Teddie.

Then again, there's a lot about P5 that we just don't know, like how long after P4A that it takes place, or who the central cast will be. It's completely plausible that the main party of P5 will be comprised of another batch of high school students that comes across P3 and P4 characters during the course of their adventure.

All of this is all correct and what I hope for. I want a new cast but also some appearances by people that are familiar.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hailinel
    @AndrewB

I haven't played Persona 4 Arena or fallen into the new story they're apparently telling, but if you played Persona 3 and don't feel like Junpei is an important character to *that* story, I don't know what to say.

Junpei is important to P3, but beyond that, he had no presence in P4A.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AndrewB

@Hailinel: But as someone who hasn't played P4A (and never will, because I haven't gotten into fighting games since the days of store kiosks for Street Fighter 2) and knowing the reasoning behind not including any more of the Persona 3 cast than they did, it sucks seeing him discarded as a not important character.

Zripwud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Zripwud

@AndrewB said:

We are talking about essential characters. That they would work outside their main storyline. Sure he is important, falling for Chidori and being the protagonist best friend. But beyond that...

Naoto is a must sure, but my biggest surprise is that Yu Narukami is also a must. Minato Arisato must be pretty pissed.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Nottle

@Zripwud said:

@AndrewB said:

We are talking about essential characters. That they would work outside their main storyline. Sure he is important, falling for Chidori and being the protagonist best friend. But beyong that...

Naoto is a must sure, but my biggest surprise is that Yu Narukami is also a must. Minato Arisato must be pretty pissed.

Minato gets to be jesus and is the entire reason Elizabeth is doing anything. right? (I haven't done her story in P4A)

He's probably gonna be saved at some point at the end of one of the games.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Phatmac

Kanji, Naoto, Teddie, Chie, Dojima, and Nanako are essential to P4. The P3 character that I truly care about is Aigis.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Nottle

@Phatmac said:

Kanji, Naoto, Teddie, Chie, Dojima, and Nanako are essential to P4. The P3 character that I truly care about is Aigis.

How is Chie essential?

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Phatmac

@Nottle said:

@Phatmac said:

How is Chie essential?

She eats steak and kicks tanks, that's why.

ckeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ckeats

@Nottle: Galactic punt.

In all seriousness though, not really. Who Hailinel said is right. Maybe add a support character like Rise or Fuuka? Fuuka seems to have gotten way more advanced after P3.

I would say Junpei is important the same way as Yosuke , but without P3 Protag, he's not essential. Akihiko isn't really if you think about it. He's at the same level as Chie. He's a puncher, she's a kicker.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yu, Yosuke, Chie, Teddie, and Yukkiko even though I don't like her that much as a character.

Also Junpei is way more important than most of the Persona 3 cast.

Zripwud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Zripwud

@ckeats said:

@Nottle: Galactic punt.

In all seriousness though, not really. Who Hailinel said is right. Maybe add a support character like Rise or Fuuka? Fuuka seems to have gotten way more advanced after P3.

I would say Junpei is important the same way as Yosuke , but without P3 Protag, he's not essential. Akihiko isn't really if you think about it. He's at the same level as Chie. He's a puncher, she's a kicker.

So, you are saying that groupleaders are important. Like Mitsuru in the P3 cast and... Narukami in P4? I mean, Yu is a lot more of a leader than Minato. Though it's true that Akihiko and Mitsuru we're older than him and had more power in SEES. He was more of a Dungeon Leader, with the multi-PersonaI ability and all that. I think both Aigis and Naoto are important 'cause they have the tools. One is a weapon to destroy shadows, the other is an awesome detective that can solve mysteries ... and Chie kicks tanks.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Well to me all the characters are essential. Yes, they could have solved the plot without Kanji or Chie, but the game is not the same without them. They are important non the less.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By NoobSauceG7

They are all essential in my heart...

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NekuCTR

MC, Teddie, and Yosuke. I'd like Kanji and Chie, but they aren't essential. Naoto really doesn't seem essential to me at all. I think she's cliche'd and insanely overrated. Just stick some fresh face in there and you'll get the same results.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Junpei and Yukari are extremely important if the P3 Protagonist is there. But if he's not, then yeah, they're not very important.

This game pretty much showed who the key P4 characters are. It's the first four, Yu, Yosuke, Chie and Yukiko. They cover the right gamut of personalities, they fit pretty perfectly into the four temperaments. Kanji, Rise, Naoto and Teddie are bonuses. Personally, I wouldn't make a P4 sequel without the back four, but it can be done.

Maybe it's the writer in me showing, but I don't think of characters in terms of plot, I think about them in terms of their own characterization. You can throw whatever plot you want at any character, but if you don't have the right mix, it affects the quality of the writing greatly. Persona has always come across as characters driven by plots, rather than plots driven by characters. The rewarding part of the game is watching characters deal with events, not necessarily watching events spawn out of characterization. ... Once again, maybe it's the writer in me showing.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Nottle

@ckeats: Akihiko is sort of important because along with Shinjiro and Mitsuru they were the like first kids in SEES. Along with Mitsuru he was kind of a mentor/ cool older guy.

@Phatmac said:

@Nottle said:

@Phatmac said:

How is Chie essential?

So no real reason?

Chie is just kind of there, she doesn't have her own dungeon or her own secret weapon, she hardly helps advance the story. Her story doesn't evoke any real sympathy or have the social commentary the later ones had. She's probably the most throw away main character. Her whole S. Link is a broken aesop about how she wants to stand up and protect the weak, but how many times has she been a dick to Yosuke?

Zripwud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Zripwud

But Yosuke is kinda a dick too...

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Phatmac

@Nottle said:

@ckeats: Akihiko is sort of important because along with Shinjiro and Mitsuru they were the like first kids in SEES. Along with Mitsuru he was kind of a mentor/ cool older guy.

@Phatmac said:

@Nottle said:

@Phatmac said:

How is Chie essential?

So no real reason?

Chie is just kind of there, she doesn't have her own dungeon or her own secret weapon, she hardly helps advance the story. Her story doesn't evoke any real sympathy or have the social commentary the later ones had. She's probably the most throw away main character. Her whole S. Link is a broken aesop about how she wants to stand up and protect the weak, but how many times has she been a dick to Yosuke?

I meant essential to me as to who my favorite characters are. I didn't realize that this was for characters that are needed for the story overall.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#30  Edited By alistercat

Rumour loving girl

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Nottle

@Phatmac said:

@Nottle said:

@Phatmac said:

@Nottle said:

@Phatmac said:

How is Chie essential?

So no real reason?

I meant essential to me as to who my favorite characters are. I didn't realize that this was for characters that are needed for the story overall.

Oh, Fair enough, but I think this is a objective look at the characters for who is important. In P3 I'd say I liked Junpei more than anyone, but I also think Akihiko, Aigis, and Mitsuru make more sense appearing in sequels. If it was about playing favorites I would totally say Yukiko since I really like her, but really all that happens to her is that she is the first to be pushed into a TV, so she's the reason the investigation team is formed, but other than that, she's not that relevant.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By cmblasko

@Nottle: Yosuke is not "the weak."

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Nottle

@cmblasko: "Weak" is perhaps the wrong word to use. Regardless, if someone borrowed a DVD from someone and there was a crack in it, its not appropriate to counter with a strike to the groin. I think Yosuke even offered to replace it. I just find it strange that her story is trying to prevent people from being dicks, yet she is probably the biggest jerk in the group.

SortedeVaras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SortedeVaras

@Nottle said:

@Zripwud said:

@AndrewB said:

We are talking about essential characters. That they would work outside their main storyline. Sure he is important, falling for Chidori and being the protagonist best friend. But beyong that...

Minato gets to be jesus and is the entire reason Elizabeth is doing anything. right? (I haven't done her story in P4A)

He's probably gonna be saved at some point at the end of one of the games.

He got to sleep with Elizabeth AND Mitsuru, in my book that means Minato wins.

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By adoggz

@JeanLuc said:

Well to me all the characters are essential. Yes, they could have solved the plot without Kanji or Chie, but the game is not the same without them. They are important non the less.

@NoobSauceG7 said:

this, i ether want all of them or none of them. they shouldnt be broken up. well except junpei that guy should go die often and in differing ways that are all painful.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By mutha3

The  important characters to the story of P4 are Yu, Yosuke, Teddie,Dojima, Nanako and Naoto. 

Yukiko, Kanji, Rise, Chie, as fun as they are, are pretty interchangeable and unimportant to the plot.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By penguindust

@NoobSauceG7 said:

Well done, sir. Well done indeed.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#38  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Everyone and I will not accept any other answer.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By nightriff

Realistically it is Charlie, Yosuke, Chie (duh) and Yukiko.

My important characters? Fuck this is hard..... Charlie, Adachi, Dojima, Chie and my personal favorite character Kanji. You don't fuckin mess with Kanji or you will "GET BENT!"

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By imsh_pl

Who the fuck is Yu, do you mean Charlie?

@mutha3 said:

The important characters to the story of P4 are Yu, Yosuke, Teddie,Dojima, Nanako and Naoto. Yukiko, Kanji, Rise, Chie, as fun as they are, are pretty interchangeable and unimportant to the plot.

I'd say Yukiko is essential too. She's a personal friend who is the victim of the kidnappings. She ties Charlie to the whole killer case.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#41  Edited By FLStyle

I don't think Yukiko is essential at all. Outside of the Investigation Team what relevance does she have? She just works at the Inn and laughs a lot, she wouldn't go looking for cases to solve.

For me there is four - Yu, Yosuke, Teddie and Naoto. They will be involved in shadow-related business just like Minato, Mitsuru, Akihiko and Aigis.

Zripwud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Zripwud

I think Minato will forever be that blank slate.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By mutha3
    @imsh_pl said:

@mutha3 said:

The important characters to the story of P4 are Yu, Yosuke, Teddie,Dojima, Nanako and Naoto. Yukiko, Kanji, Rise, Chie, as fun as they are, are pretty interchangeable and unimportant to the plot.

I'd say Yukiko is essential too. She's a personal friend who is the victim of the kidnappings.

Kanji, Rise and Naoto fulfill the same role, though.   Like, remove Chie and Yukiko from the plot, and have the first victim be Kanji in May.

...would the plot progress differently, at all?

She ties Charlie to the whole killer case.

Not true. Teddie and Yosuke(and Saki's death) do.  Its the promise between those 3 that sets off the events in P4 and why they vow to catch the killer.
    Zripwud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Zripwud

Yeah, but they're also a lot more connected to each other. Without Chie, Yukiko wouldn't be as important and viceversa, the same with Kanji and Naoto and also Yu with Yosuke. Yu needs Yosuke and like P4A made clear, Yosuke needs Yu.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.