Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

Why shadows are enemies and not the demons themselfs?

zagzagovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By zagzagovich

It kind of hit me out of nowhere when I was waiting for the new ER. Why are you fighting shadows now? In first two Persona games you got your personas by talking to the demons and making them your minions (like in every other SMT game up to that point). It was fun and all but I cam see why they would want to do something different. Although this doesn't explain why all demons in P3 and 4 are trapped in cards and appear magically after battle. In P4 teddy sais that shadows are other sides of humans, so are personas but for some reason there isn't a single person who actually has a persona as his shadow self. Can someone clear this up for me? I'm really lost here.

GiantDragoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By GiantDragoon

Shadow are kind of the hidden ego everyone has. If you accept that hidden ego, you get a persona. Shadow's selfs, kinda transform into said persona after rejection.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Stang
    ZagZagovich said:
    but for some reason there isn't a single person who actually has a persona as his shadow self
    Um, did you play the game? Everybody besides MC had a shadow, and once they accepted that they became a persona user.
    Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Happy

It makes more sense if you look at each Persona game as a separate world from the others. Much like Final Fantasy, but less drastic.

zagzagovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By zagzagovich

I can kind of understand how they become persona users. It's the whole card thing I don't get. Do shadows become cards after battle or something like that?

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By PureRok

The reason is because the first two Persona games sucked. Having to negotiate with the demons was stupid, and still is in the other games.

zagzagovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By zagzagovich
    PureRok said:
    The reason is because the first two Persona games sucked. Having to negotiate with the demons was stupid, and still ... [more]
    How was it stupid? It not only gave you a way to avoid unnecessary battles but also gave some bonus personality to the monsters themselves.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#8  Edited By LordAndrew

Aren't Personas and Shadows basically the same thing. And you can consider them demons if you want.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Stang

The shadow disappears and a persona pops out of thin air :p

And Persona 2 was fucking awesome back in the day, still is decent if you have patience.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By endaround

The cards were always there in Persona gams, they are just a representation of that part of oneself, a type of focus.  The basic idea is that the cards the MC sees at the end of battle is his mind opening up to otehr possibilities

agent_lost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By agent_lost

I guess we can talk about it but you most finish Persona 3 and 4 to get the point. If i remember right it was one of the major plot point of P3.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#12  Edited By Pepsiman

Personas and Shadows are actually terms which are highly referential of Carl Jung's work in psychology. This is very passively mentioned during a few dialog sequences in both 3 and 4 if my memory isn't going completely wonky. You might want to look at the wikis for them here and here in order to gain a basic understanding of the two terms as they were used by him. They'll shed quite a bit of light on how the latter Persona games apply them, if not to the extent of going into the card storage thing.

GiantDragoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GiantDragoon
    @PureRok:
    Actually, Persona 2 had shadow selfs in addition to demons. Also, negotiation allowed everyone to have to have different demons/personae.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.