Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

Worth playing through any Persona games?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I've always been semi-interested in the Persona games. It seems like P3FES and P4 were always the highest praised of the series. I was going to get P3FES a while ago, but then P4 came out, and the general consensus was that P4 was overall a better game. So then I was going to get P4.....but now Giant Bomb is playing through it for me lol.

So should I still bother to actually play through any of these games? I know they're really long games so that already throws me off a bit. Should I get P3FES since I'm watching P4? Or is it just not as good a P4? Or should I just wait until P5? Lol. There's no rush. Basically, with me watching P4, are any Persona games actually worth my 60+ hours of playing through?

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By c1337us

I havent played any of the Persona games, and for me they are not really my thing. But I have heard a lot of good things and I know there is enough Persona love on this site to know that the answer is probably going to be a resounding YES.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#3  Edited By LordAndrew

Get Persona 3 FES, play and beat that. Then play Persona 4. Don't skip Persona 4 just because Vinny and Jeff are recording video for it. You're missing out on the full experience by not playing it yourself.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't heard of Persona or Megami Tensei untill P3. How are P1 and P2? Outdated? Or do they still hold up?

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Coltonio7

Persona 2, totally has Hitler in it!

Avatar image for valkyriegoddess
    ValkyrieGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ValkyrieGoddess

I'm playing Persona 4 right now and it is entertaining to say the least. I still watch Vinny and Jeff play through it though because there commentary is hilarious.
     I think i'm actually a little farther than they are. I'm not sure about Persona 3 because i haven't played it yet. Thinking about buying it but i'm not sure if the Persona 3 FES comes with the game and it's expanded content.
    You know how game companies are about trying to get the most for there money...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ValkyrieGoddess: I'm pretty confident that Persona 3 FES is the entire original Persona 3 plus some added content/features. etc.
    Avatar image for valkyriegoddess
    ValkyrieGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ValkyrieGoddess

That would be Great. Think i'll look it up on Amazon.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#9  Edited By LordAndrew

That's exactly what FES is!
    In Japan there were actually two versions of FES though, one that required the original Persona 3 game to play, and one that didn't. The former, called the Append version, was cheaper. What we got was the version that doesn't require Persona 3, but at a cheaper price, so we got the benefit of the Append version's lower price anyway. :)

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By endaround

If you think you will only have time for one choose P4.  I love P3, but P4 is a  what all sequels should be, a highly polished game that improves on some of the faults oif its predecessor.  For example in P3 when you shop for armor and weapons you need to have notes about what the current values your party has because you can't get that from the store screen.  P4 takes that hassle away.  You don't have to remember all the differecnes in spell names or what items do in P4 because of an interactive system that isn't in P3.  Now P4 hasn't improve on everything (your inventory list is still one big mess), but  it is a better game that ihas an easier learning curve.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By kush

Yes you should play through the Persona games. Watching the Endurance Runs is not the same thing as experiencing the game for yourself and making your own choices. I would recommend playing P3: FES first and then P4 just because of the numerous small tweaks between the games, but I personally don't have a problem going back to P3 after playing P4. You may also want to check out the port/remake of the original Persona for PSP later this year.

unangbangkay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By unangbangkay
    TripMasterMunky said:
    "I've always been semi-interested in the Persona games. It seems like P3FES and P4 were always the highest praised of the series. I was going to get P3FES a while ago, but then P4 came out, and the general consensus was that P4 was overall a better game. So then I was going to get P4.....but now Giant Bomb is playing through it for me lol.So should I still bother to actually play through any of these games? I know they're really long games so that already throws me off a bit. Should I get P3FES since I'm watching P4? Or is it just not as good a P4? Or should I just wait until P5? Lol. There's no rush. Basically, with me watching P4, are any Persona games actually worth my 60+ hours of playing through?"

Get both of them. Both are the best JRPG experiences in years and beat out any of their current-gen competitors through a combination of unique (very un-JRPG-like) mechanics, amazing aesthetic, and strong character and story. If you've been watching the Endurance Runs of P4 you should already have an idea about what to expect, and whether or not you'll be able to stand 50-70 hours of that kind of playing, juggling duties, social relationships, powering up, etc.

It all feels better if you're the one making those decisions, and obviously it might look more tedious when just watching Jeff and Vinny do it for you (funny commentary or not). Both P3 and P4 are great, but P4 certainly made almost every possible iterative improvement over P3, mechanically, aesthetically, and even in more nebulous qualities such as story. I would still recommend you get both of them as each has something unique to offer in terms of theme, storytelling and character.

If the time costs are a turn-off for you, play with a walkthrough. You will not suffer at all. Actually, I enjoyed it more, playing with a walkthrough, as I never felt as if I had wasted my time for a particular day or if what I had decided to do for a day was the wrong thing. P3FES demands more exacting time management to unlock all of the best events, so if I would recommend only one walkthrough for you it would be for P3FES. P4 is more forgiving in that respect.

I could go on and on, as I am a terrible fanboy, but they're ridiculously cheap compared to their next-gen competitors and in many ways much better. If nothing else, do it, because those are likely the last, best games to ever appear on the PS2, at least until that rumored adaptation of Sakura Taisen 5 drops :)
    vinyl_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By vinyl_warrior

The time commitment is what's keeping me from it. I think I'd rather spread my time out to a bunch of different games than sink it all into one.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14  Edited By kush
    vinyl_warrior said:
    "The time commitment is what's keeping me from it. I think I'd rather spread my time out to a bunch of different games than sink it all into one."
    ...but one AMAZING game is better than a bunch of "alright" games!
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Binman88
    Kush said:
    "vinyl_warrior said:
    "The time commitment is what's keeping me from it. I think I'd rather spread my time out to a bunch of different games than sink it all into one."
    ...but one AMAZING game is better than a bunch of "alright" games!"
    Plus, there's not many games that let you become friends with a fox.

No Caption Provided

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By RHCPfan24

Just play them. They are worth it but if you have to choose one, go with P4. It takes awhile to beat, so it is not like you will finish it in a weekend or anything. P3 FES is also great, and I believe the two games are playable in no matter what order you play them in.

Avatar image for eisforextinction
    EisforExtinction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By EisforExtinction

Persona 3 and 4 are both really fun and worth a play. Persona 2 (which is actually in two parts) and the first Persona are rather different from P3 and P4. The earlier entries don't have Social Links and have a battle system that just isn't as fun as the later games. Persona 2 is still playable but I would not suggest playing the first game at all.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Hector

I just got P4 and I'm having fun. It's my first Persona game and now I'm thinking of going back and playing Persona 3 that is when I finish this one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.