Will I like this game?

#1 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

I love Persona 3 and just bought Persona 4, even though I watched the entire endurance run like twice already :P. Now I'm thinking about getting this game because it's $20 at a store near me. I understand this is a port of an old playstation game with some updates. I'm more interested in the story. If I liked previous Persona games does this scratch the same itch? 

#2 Posted by animateria (3265 posts) -

This is less Persona 3-4, more first person dungeon crawls of the older Shin Megami Tensei games. 

Hell, even the monsters are recruited and not just some cards. 

As for story, I don't know much about it.

#3 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -

It's hard to say: the story is pretty cool but it's also a grindy dungeon crawler with labyrinthine maps and a weird negotiation system that you can use to get demons to give you their cards. Combining cards allows you to fuse more powerful personae. The story and characters aren't as strongly developed and the game isn't as accessible. 

Though if you really, really like Persona you might still dig it.

#4 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -
#5 Posted by Animasta (14726 posts) -
@RE_Player92 said:
" @owl_of_minerva: Would you suggest this game over Strange Journey?  "
Strange journey definitely moves a lot faster, even if it does feel grindy. i've only played Persona 2, and all the people I've heard talk about Persona 1 say it's so much slower. Persona 2 is slow enough as it is... D:
#6 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -
@Laketown: Thanks I'll keep that in mind when I decide what to buy. 
#7 Posted by JackSukeru (5967 posts) -

There's a Quick Look of it. If you haven't seen it already, it might be a good place to start. 

Personally I don't think I could handle the random encounters and the mazes.

#8 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5818 posts) -

Start out with Nocturne to get a feel of the more traditional SMT style.

After that, try out Persona 1 and Strange Journey.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.