First Trailer

• 136 results
#101 Posted by Eirikr (1006 posts) -

@Video_Game_King:

Interesting!

But I was making a joke since you just happened to mention two names that are also in SMT. (Nagas are a race of serpentine people in Hindu myth, while Asherah was a goddess of pan-Semitic peoples)

#102 Posted by Video_Game_King (36012 posts) -

@Eirikr:

Another question has risen in my mind: the SMT wiki community and the Fire Emblem wiki community don't overlap too much. In fact, I'm pretty sure the only common thread between them is . Does this mean he's gonna do all the work filling out demon compendiums and support conversations, or will there be full-blown war between these factions for control of the SMTxFE page?

#103 Posted by Eirikr (1006 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: That thought had totally crossed my mind!

It's probably fitting to leave it mostly up to Hailinel, but I'm totally going to add demons and compendiums if/when they become available. I expect a peaceful co-management, similar to how I expect the FE and SMT protagonists to go all buddy-buddy in the game.

#104 Posted by Hailinel (23901 posts) -

@Eirikr said:

@Video_Game_King said:

So Naga can bitch-slap Izanami while Ashera watches :P.

???? (Izanami is obvious)

@Hailinel said:

It's a very interesting combination. I have to imagine that demons will make up some part of the gameplay. But when I think of things that SMT and Fire Emblem have in common (aside from being different breeds of the RPG genre), they both place a certain amount of focus on communication. SMT has demon negotiation, while FE has support conversations. So it's possible that some sort of communication element, either with demons or between party members, could factor into the gameplay. But there's also the question of how the basic premise would even be set up. I mean, yeah, weird-ass crossovers have their goofy plot contrivances, but taking one franchise known for medieval fantasy and combining it with a franchise known for modern/post-apocalyptic demonic action will take some footwork.

I admit I know practically nothing about FE, other than some of the more popular characters. I already pre-ordered Awakening, and it'll be my first real exposure to the series. I'm really looking forward to it!

But like said, all SMT protagonists and no demons makes for dull crossover potential. If whomever the big baddie is in the FE universe isn't teaming up with Lucifer, I'll eat my hat.

To be fair, they only showed Fire Emblem protagonists in that trailer. I'm sure that the antagonists and other characters from both franchises will be unveiled in time.

#105 Posted by Video_Game_King (36012 posts) -

@Eirikr:

I'd like to think of any fictional quibbles, but my experience with the franchise is mostly of the Persona variety. (I have played the first SMT, but didn't get even near far enough to say anything about it.)

#106 Posted by Hailinel (23901 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Eirikr:

Another question has risen in my mind: the SMT wiki community and the Fire Emblem wiki community don't overlap too much. In fact, I'm pretty sure the only common thread between them is . Does this mean he's gonna do all the work filling out demon compendiums and support conversations, or will there be full-blown war between these factions for control of the SMTxFE page?

@Eirikr said:

@Video_Game_King: That thought had totally crossed my mind!

It's probably fitting to leave it mostly up to Hailinel, but I'm totally going to add demons and compendiums if/when they become available. I expect a peaceful co-management, similar to how I expect the FE and SMT protagonists to go all buddy-buddy in the game.

I'm so screwed. O_o

#107 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11477 posts) -

So apparently there were some SRPG spinoffs to SMT before Devil Survivor. Majin Tensei. Perhaps it could resemble those games? Either way, I don't think they'll go the route of Phoenix Wright x Layton and have two entirely separate gameplay styles. Yeah. I'm still entirely baffled on how franchises with such different tones will be able to mesh. Either way, if it ends with Eliwood being forced to fight Satan, consider me more on board.

#108 Posted by pyromagnestir (4246 posts) -

Allow me to add my voice to the chorus saying "Yay it's an rpg!"

I may run out and buy a Wii U the day this game drops.

#109 Posted by Eirikr (1006 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

I'm so screwed. O_o

*pats on the back* Yer gunna do fine!

#110 Posted by Video_Game_King (36012 posts) -
#111 Posted by Hailinel (23901 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

Majin Tensei. Perhaps it could resemble those games?

Nooooope.

If I had to guess, the basic perspective and structure of the battles will be like Fire Emblem, but there will be some sort of MegaTen twist thrown in. Whether that's making battles play out like Devil Survivor or something else, I have no idea.

#112 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11477 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

Majin Tensei. Perhaps it could resemble those games?

Nooooope.

I assume you have played that game, then? I was just scrounging around in the wiki and those came up.

#113 Posted by Video_Game_King (36012 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater:

No, but I have read about it being so ungodly terrible that it killed SMT strategy RPGs for a while.

#114 Posted by probablytuna (3537 posts) -

@audioBusting said:

@probablytuna said:

This and the Wind Waker remake is starting to tempt me.

WHAT?! (One Google search of "Wind Waker remake" later) Dang, between those 2 games and the Platinum Games stuff I'm really tempted to get a Wii U too.

Also that new Monolith Soft game as well. That looks pretty darn rad.

#115 Posted by Wraith1 (555 posts) -

time to get a wii u I guess

#116 Posted by Zeik (2223 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: Majin Tensei is pretty well regarded actually. Well, before Ronde.

#117 Edited by Animasta (14648 posts) -

I started up the sacred stones again after hearing this trailer, I got through a large portion of the game today (that is by amply abusing save states) I have no idea how they're gonna tie the two together storywise.

Permadeath fucking sucks though, it's so terrible and makes me really paranoid

I like the game (even if I find parts of it really annoying and the fact that I kinda have to go through with a FAQ sucks), but man that story could not be any further removed from SMT

#118 Posted by Video_Game_King (36012 posts) -

@Zeik:

That's why I linked to Ronde when I said "Noooope".

#119 Posted by JoeyRavn (4948 posts) -

If I had to guess, I would assume it will be something like Pokémon Conquest: Nobunaga's Ambition's gameplay with Pokémon elements. In this case, Fire Emblem gameplay with SMT elements (units, characters, demons, etc.). Either that, or Devil Survivor gameplay with Fire Emblem characters.

Ultimately, I don't care. I'm hyped as fuck for this game. This latest batch of announcements has cemented my decision to get a Wii U ASAP. I can't believe people are already shitting all over this game. The premise looks fantastic.

#120 Posted by buft (3301 posts) -

@Neurotic said:

Wait...What? NO! I don't want to buy a Wii U, why would they do this?

Oh wait, it'll never come out in Europe. Problem solved!

its so sad but so true

#121 Posted by crusader8463 (14412 posts) -

So have they said what this game is actually going to be like? Is a a turn based strategy game? an RPG? A fighting game?

#122 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

@crusader8463 said:

So have they said what this game is actually going to be like? Is a a turn based strategy game? an RPG? A fighting game?

index said an RPG

this does not preclude TBS, however

#123 Posted by Video_Game_King (36012 posts) -

@Animasta:

I'm guessing it's gonna be a strategy RPG, though, since I can't name any Fire Emblem games that don't fall into that category.

#124 Posted by crusader8463 (14412 posts) -

@Animasta: @Video_Game_King: I will be interested to see what they go with. I have been dying for a good turn based strategy RPG on something other then a handheld for ages. So if they can pull off this in some interesting way I may have to break down and by a WiiU.

#125 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3745 posts) -

@crusader8463 said:

It's "presented by ATLUS", so that implies it will be more RPG (though I'm sure they'll adapt portions of Fire Emblem as some kind of combination). Nintendo showed it after mentioning that they "didn't have enough time to make new games in all of their popular franchises" and said there was more to come, so it looks like, instead of farming out Mario and Zelda characters like they did in the GC era, they might be letting other companies try making games in their franchises themselves, like when Sega made F-Zero (the only one I liked).

#126 Posted by crusader8463 (14412 posts) -

@Wrighteous86: It's hard to get excited for a game with so little info, but it's certainly in my keeping an eye on list. Maybe at E3 they will have some gameplay trailer to show off.

#127 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

The Wii U keeps getting more and more interesting Japanese games. I may have to actually pick one up. I think if it reaches a critical mass of about 7 games I want, then I'll get one haha.

#128 Edited by awadnin (275 posts) -

Amazing, I didn't see that coming! I'm looking forward to hearing more about this game!!

#129 Posted by loyalroyal1989 (43 posts) -

I like how just showing some pictures and saying it is happening has sparked so much conversation. Also who things that this should maybe be the next endurance run from GB team.

#130 Posted by Video_Game_King (36012 posts) -

@loyalroyal1989 said:

I like how just showing some pictures and saying it is happening has sparked so much conversation.

Mainly because this announcement came from absolutely nowhere. I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but Fire Emblem isn't known for experimenting around, and now it's going straight into crossover country? That'd be like if the first Mega Man spin-off outside the original series was Virtua Mega Man.

Also who things that this should maybe be the next endurance run from GB team.

So much no but so much yes.

#131 Posted by endaround (2138 posts) -

A whole thread and no one wondering if the real Dante was going to show up in the game?

#132 Edited by Catolf (2653 posts) -

A whole thread and no one wondering if the real Dante was going to show up in the game?

if both parties don't wanna be involved in this flame war around DMC still, i think they might not wanna touch it/ deal with capcom. But who know's, nintendo is being rather bold lol. (project X zone Dante anyone?)

I just heard about this a day ago. nearly choked on some granola (yeah i'm working too much so VG news is sparse as is game playing ;_;) But man I'm excited. This sold a Wii U for me. I know the ps4 is on the horizon but giving that thing time to go down in price while enjoying this puppy will be great. Also I guess US release was stated, so no need to wonder about it (i worried a little, but i guess no need!)

Only thing I have noticed (not here which I was delighted about) is the wars going on between the FE community and the SMT one. Seems majorly either side dosen't know what the other side is for the most part, while this is good to open up doors for new fans, it's been causing quite a bit a conflict... holy crud. Welp, glad it's not going on here!

#133 Posted by Metalisticpain (71 posts) -

I hope they have more info at E3... however i think the possibility is like 2% chance of that happening.

#134 Edited by ch3burashka (5009 posts) -

I forgot this was happening. Now I'm psyched again.

#135 Edited by believer258 (11635 posts) -

This doesn't quite sell me a Wii U but it's a hell of a step in the right direction.

#136 Posted by skooks (85 posts) -

If we don't see something about this at E3, I'm flipping every table I see.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.