Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shovel Knight

Game » consists of 36 releases. Released Jun 26, 2014

An action-platformer paying homage to 8-bit classics like Mega Man and Castlevania. It is developed by a small group of former WayForward employees, with funding through Kickstarter.

Just finished Shovel Knight.

Nags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Got it on Wii U. Amazing game. Short but great. Really scratches that Megaman and Castlevania itch.
    Some real love was put into that game. Was expecting a polished pixel art indie title (and it was that) but it was much more. The end actually got me misty eyed. As well as every time you have to catch the Shield Knight, just to wake up at the campfire the next day. Gave me those feels.

The Mole Knight and Tinker Knight level (music) themes are my favorites in the game.

What version did you get?

Are you enjoying it?

Did you beat it?

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

I got the PC version. Runs perfectly and looks phenomenal on my monitor. Plays pretty damn well with the Dual Shock 4, too. I've beaten, including all music sheets and upgrades, and had a great time with it. My only real complaint is the usage of the "knocked back when being hit" trope of this style of game, since I feel it adds bullshit artificial difficulty. Will probably do the NG+ at some point in the near future. As for the music, I found most it to be fine but not really memorable. Kinda disappointed by it actually, especially coming from Jake Kaufman. I do really like the second-to-last level stage music though--it's pretty damn good.

Nags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Wii U version lets you use the touchscreen to switch sub-weapons on the fly. No need to pause the game to do it. You can still do it the old-fashioned if you want. I got so used to using the touchscreen for weapon switching that I can't really play the game any other way. No steam version for me. Besides, I would consider the Wii U version to be the definitive.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Played through it on Wii U. Overall I'd say I really enjoyed it. The game has a lot of heart and although it takes a lot from older games, it still feels like its own game. (Which is something that's crucial when there's so many of these 8 bit throwback games)

Definitely gonna play through it again on new game plus, and I'm looking forward to the inevitable sequel.

ShorefireMS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've finished it on 3DS. Fantastic game, very well made and I was surprised by how affecting the ending was to me.

That game controls very well with a Dpad, and although the 3D effects didn't add much, I'm very glad they released a version for 3DS.

That game is a good portable game, taking it to work and playing a few screens during break or a longer session during lunch was very convenient.

They'll be posting more and more content in updates, so I can't wait for this great game to grow even more.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By development

Played on the PC.

I liked the first half much more than the latter levels. Way too much use off the insta-death falls in later levels. Sometimes that was the only gimmick for large portions of levels. Just isn't fun, and it's silly when the game seems to make a point to give you those heart containers. It should be giving you parachutes instead. Maybe if the damage was like Zelda, and it just took a couple hearts of damage away instead, it'd be better.

Anyways, I really enjoyed the rest of the game, and the animations, sounds, and music were all top notch. 13/19 stars.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I finished it on PC with the 144fps bug and it was so much fun. I tried playing it without the high frame rate and it was just toooo slow.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing on PC. I wish they gave you an Easy / Normal difficulty option at the start instead of just making NG+ harder, it's closer to old Mega Man levels of difficulty with no turkey, double damage and all but two checkpoints off. The boss rush gets a lot more interesting with turkey only after every other encounter. I'm slowly going for the no deaths / destroy all checkpoints run on a fresh save file, only taking on levels I'm comfortable with. Treasure Knight's up next.

The dream sequences still give me chills, the music is so hauntingly serene and melancholy.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Beat it the other day, ended up liking it more and more as I went. Though the phase locket kind of broke the game. I'd patch out the ability to hit dudes while phasing.

Nags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shorefirems: Oh, I had no idea they were going to add content to the game. Definitely looking forward to it.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@esrever said:

I finished it on PC with the 144fps bug and it was so much fun. I tried playing it without the high frame rate and it was just toooo slow.

What bug is that?

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Tennmuerti

@development said:

Played on the PC.

I liked the first half much more than the latter levels. Way too much use off the insta-death falls in later levels. Sometimes that was the only gimmick for large portions of levels. Just isn't fun, and it's silly when the game seems to make a point to give you those heart containers. It should be giving you parachutes instead. Maybe if the damage was like Zelda, and it just took a couple hearts of damage away instead, it'd be better.

Anyways, I really enjoyed the rest of the game, and the animations, sounds, and music were all top notch. 13/19 stars.

Yep well put, that's mostly my feelings on it too.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13 rmanthorp  Moderator

Moved this to the game page instead of the character page.

I've not played the game yet but I can't wait to pick it up - glad people are enjoying it!

ShorefireMS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ShorefireMS
    No Caption Provided

@nags: I'm very excited about the upcoming updates, and from what I understand they will all be free content updates to the game.

On a side-note, it looks like they'll be releasing merchandise and apparel as well. Gonna have to get some Shovel Knight rep out on the street.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By conmulligan

How's the 3DS version? I don't have a Wii U and I'm not really that keen to play it on PC. I was going to wait until the inevitable Xbox One or PS4 version, but given how well it's been received I'm getting antsy to give it a go...

ShorefireMS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conmulligan: I've beaten the campaign on 3DS and working through New Game+ right now. The platforming handles real well with the D-pad and face buttons on the 3DS. Music is clear and the screen comes through nice and pretty on my 3DS XL. I found it real easy to pick up and play at work or at home.

I haven't had much use of the Streetpass arena, I live in Mississippi so a streetpass is rare enough, much less a Shovel Knight Streetpass. The 3D layering of the screen is fine, it works well but isn't anything to write home about.

Tip: if you play it on 3DS, you may want to adjust your button layout. The default way to use a relic is Up and Y, which I found very annoying. The alternate option is to use R, which I found much much better.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shorefirems: Nice, that's great to hear. I'll check it out this weekend.

Miyuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 14

I have the Wii U version, and I love it. Fantastic throwback, but it manages to improve the genre. I haven't finished yet!

Zornack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Zornack

I beat it the other day on 3DS. It's great. Looks great, controls great and sounds great. I do think the balance is a bit whacked, though. You get way too much health way too quickly which trivializes combat too early in the game. By the third boss I could pretty much just tank and spam attack and I'd be in no danger of dying. I would have preferred a difficulty curve which forced me to dodge more.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I have the Wii U version and I'm enjoying it. I'm only a few stages in, but it's a fantastic game and the perfect way to do make a retro-themed platformer. The Wii U/Miiverse-specific features are also a fantastic touch. The 8-bit style Miiverse interface is amazing!

retrovirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Just finished it on PC after 5 hours, 121 deaths. Really enjoyed the measured difficulty of the game. A minor quibble, though, was the loss of gold and subsequent corpse runs to grab the floating bags. It's not a huge deal, but I did find it aggravating more often than not trying to get them and ending up dying. Then again, there's enough treasure to go around that it doesn't impact you too much.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@bollard said:

@esrever said:

What bug is that?

Loading Video...

This is how the game played for me. If you enable vsync on a monitor with a high refresh rate, you get this.

triumvir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By triumvir

Really liking the game so far (currently at Mole Knight's stage). Though I will admit to finding the difficulty to have strange spikes and a general unevenness (like how is Spectre Knight such a fucker while Treasure Knight is a joke?).

Knock back is annoying but they give you plenty of tools to deal with it. My biggest gripe is that the loot bags you drop when you die should always be placed in areas where you can actually retrieve them without dying again, which is a frequent problem when you die in pits. Dark Souls may put your blood stain in tough places from time to time, but it is never impossible to retrieve as is so often the case in Shovel Knight. It sort of defeats the point of the system, when you can't reliably get your loot back. The treasure magnet potion is a poor substitute for a more reasonable placement system for the loot bags. If that was a design choice on the part of the devs, then I'd say it was a poor one.

tophar01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

Beat it the other day, ended up liking it more and more as I went. Though the phase locket kind of broke the game. I'd patch out the ability to hit dudes while phasing.

Yea I used the phasing to just kinda brute force my way through boss fights, felt pretty cheesy, but hey cheesing is gaming.

tophar01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By tophar01

I thought it was pretty good, I do think shovel knight sometimes feels a little slow compared to everything else going on and I definitely enjoyed the earlier stages more than the later ones but that's probably because I was terrible at it. Really dug the soundtrack though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played on 3DS and had a blast. Controls felt right at home on that d-pad. Also probably the first game I played all the way through with 3D turned on. Some of the layering with the backgrounds looked really good. Brought a little something extra to a visual style I was a little tired of. Just starting New Game + which is kind of a let down because it doesn't seem to change much other than removing a lot of checkpoints and health pickups. I'll still finish it again though.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanted to get this on wii u, but of course I'm letting my brother borrow it so I got it on PC. Just beat it. Thought the fight with the Enchantress was a real pain in the ass lol. Great game though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.