Why does this guy put his name on every game he makes?

#1 Posted by lucas_kelly (769 posts) -

It seems kind selfish to me. It just makes him look like a stuck up douche bag who wants everybody to know his name. 
Someone needs to give this guy a good punch in the face.

#2 Posted by elliooo (293 posts) -

It's because he's an amazing Game Designer and people will be enticed to buy a product just because it has his name on it. Seriously, if Sid Meier's: Playland Adventures came out, I would actually look it up and see what it was about rather than just rejecting it.

#3 Posted by calf_exercises (858 posts) -

I think its more of the game's publicist idea rather than Sid miers idea. either i dont really see a problem with it

#4 Posted by HipHopHitler (59 posts) -

He's the main man behind every one of the games that bear his name:

He created the Civilization series, why shouldn't he get fair dues?

It's not pomposity to want to be credited for your very own creation, is it? And besides, he seems like a nice fella.
#5 Posted by ferretzor (38 posts) -

Does it really matter? If the games are good, it shouldn't be a problem.

#6 Posted by Carlos (504 posts) -

I'd be doing the same thing if i made the game

#7 Posted by TheBeast (1931 posts) -

Because every game he's created so far has been extremely well designed, the name 'Sid Meier' and the concept of a great game have become increasingly synonymous.

What better marketing tactic than to tell everyone that this is yet another game from that brain?

#8 Posted by Axersia (1613 posts) -

It's not Sid Meier who puts his name on the box, it's the marketing side.

I listened to a podcast interview with American McGee once, and he said it was never his choice to continue adding his name to his games either.

#9 Posted by Legend (2649 posts) -

People wouldn't have bought half of his games if his name wasn't in the title.

#10 Posted by NeoTheta (222 posts) -

Adding the name "Sid Meier" to a product gives it a certain...credibility. It lets the consumer know that they are buying something quality. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised at seeing "Cliffy B's Gears of War 2." XD

#11 Posted by Leewow (118 posts) -

It would be a lot better if Uwe Boll put his name in giant letters on the cover of his movies that way more people wouldn't waste there

#12 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

It's not really him putting his name on the game as much as it is because of the publishers. His name is like a brand...it gets people interested the game. People will either see a game called Pirates or a game called Sid Meire's Pirates. That is just an example, but his name is something that will draw people to the game.

#13 Posted by packster (29 posts) -

Doesnt really matter I guess, but do you see

Shigeru Miyamoto's Super Mario Galaxy?

:P

#14 Edited by Foil_Charizard (345 posts) -

It's probably the execs that decides to put it on there, his name sells games so why wouldn't they?

#15 Posted by Psynapse (1064 posts) -
DualReaver said:
"He puts it on there cause HE'S MOTHERFUCKING SID MEIER. Anymore questions?
"

I totally agree, Sid Meier is a ledgend among the gaming industry, he has made some amazing games. If he puts his name on a game, i'll more than likely give it a chance to impress me.
#16 Posted by Scorched (691 posts) -

I don't think it's him.  I'm pretty sure they pay him a lot of money for his name to be on the box.

#17 Posted by epic_pets (1339 posts) -

Why would it bother you

#18 Posted by Foil1212 (444 posts) -
packster said:
"Doesnt really matter I guess, but do you see

Shigeru Miyamoto's Super Mario Galaxy?

:P"
No, but you DO see "Mario" which is pretty much the same thing.  As someone above said, if you saw "Pirates" in a store, would you get it? Maybe, probably not. If you saw "Sid Meier's" pirates, would you get it?  Probably.  Mario isn't a good comparison.  Mario is a big name whereas stuff like "Pirates" and "Golf" are generic games, that haven't been previously branded by a character.  The only brand they can really apply to it to make it sell is "Sid Meier."  Makes total sense if you think about it.
#19 Posted by SSbabel (1141 posts) -

Becasue he can.

#20 Posted by Nibbz (203 posts) -

if i made a game/movie/book/anything i'd put my name. so ppl know who the fuck was the brains behind the operation was.

#21 Posted by Termite (2398 posts) -

Because he has a great name, and people recognize him.

#22 Posted by MagusMaleficus (1035 posts) -

It's branding, dude. Name recognition sells more products than any other form of advertising. Give people a name they trust, they'll buy your stuff by the truckloads.

#23 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

Because if it says Sid Meier, that's a name you can trust.
Besides, authors put their names on the cover of their books, often as big as the title itself, and directors do the same thing with movies.  Why can't game designers do the same thing?
I don't think it has anything to do with selfishness, I think it has to do with the fact that if you saw a name like Pirates! on a game, you wouldn't know what to expect.  If it says Sid Meier's Pirates!, now I'm intrigued.

#24 Posted by Wolverine (4276 posts) -

Sid Meier name on games is like Tom Clancy in a way, it basically says that the game is quality.

#25 Posted by Rowr (5476 posts) -

at this point hes more or less told to put his name on there.

I remember hearing American Mcgee whining about how they always told him they were putting his name on his games.

#26 Posted by Foil1212 (444 posts) -
Wolverine said:
"Sid Meier name on games is like Tom Clancy in a way, it basically says that the game is quality."
Except that Tom Clancy doesn't always remind me of quality :P
#27 Edited by Regal (434 posts) -

Most of you are wrong.

While I do recognize that by now it is probably nothing more than corporate tradition and marketing that stamps his name on every product,
I also realize that even the early games he made, when no one ever knew what a Sid Meier was, got branded "Sid Meier".

In a time when his name meant nothing and in an industry where games aren't branded by one of ther creators, he put out a product and yes, putting "Sid Meier" on the title was a bit of a douchie act.

This is coming from a Meier fan, he is talented, but this part is indeed a bit embarrasing, a stain on the otherwise great series of games.

Today it shouldn't bother anyone though, for a number of reasons, including that it is probably not by his incentive and it is now established tradition.

#28 Edited by Rowr (5476 posts) -

Well the early civs were a fair accomplishment in gaming. The depth and complexity. Taking a civilisation from start to finish. Fair enough for him to put his name on it.

I dont think its embarrasing. A smart move in the long term. If he had never done that would he be so well recognised in the gaming community?

If it was a game in any other genre im not sure he would have gotten away with it.

#29 Posted by EntwineX (74 posts) -

It's a stamp of quality....most of the time.

#30 Posted by Branthog (7342 posts) -

Yeah, and while we're at it authors should stop putting their name on their books. Directors should stop putting their names on their movies and musicians should stop putting their names on their albums. The audacity of these people to put their names on things that they are responsible for creating. How dare they!

#31 Posted by Chaoman223 (39 posts) -

douche bag sid is one of the greatest game creators of all time and you're going to criticize him with your petty fifth grade insults, I dont think so.

#32 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
I WILL DESTROY YOU! BWAHAHAHAHA!
#33 Edited by Guest (41 posts) -

At this point, it's branding.  People associate the name with quality games and just having his name on something I'm sure increases its sales.  They do it with Tom Clancy too (even though he isn't a game developer) and he sold the rights to his name...whatever sense that makes.

#34 Posted by CitizenKane (10502 posts) -

It's the same reason why they have "Steven Spielberg's _______" in movie adds.  It's branding to get a game more media attention, nothing to do with him wanting his name on it.  Which games sounds more exciting to you:  "McDonald's Playground" or "Sid Meier's McDonald's Playground"?

#35 Posted by BoG (5181 posts) -

I personally think this trend should expand. One problem with gaming is the great number of sequels and spinoffs we see. There are so many Mario games these days, and I'm one of the few people who don't care. You don't see the volume of sequels and spin offs in Hollywood, they still exist, but are not nearly as numerous. The problem is the 'star factor' of games. Mario can't be in platformers, sports titles, shooters, action games, stealth games... It just wouldn't work. Brad Pitt on the other hand can be in action movies, comedies, romances, all of the above.

Putting the creator of the game on the box can help the name be recognized, and help expand variety. I hope that someone can look at a game, see "a Shigeru Miyamoto game" and have that drive the purchase, rather then a character.
#36 Posted by Ma7moud (805 posts) -

Stamp of quality and a bit of selfishness. I think the stamp of quality should be the team developing the game not the lead designer only.

#37 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Yeah, it's because he's awesome. When I see his name on a game, I'm more likely to play it.

#38 Posted by TheGamerGeek (2498 posts) -
TheBeast said:
"Because every game he's created so far has been extremely well designed, the name 'Sid Meier' and the concept of a great game have become increasingly synonymous.

What better marketing tactic than to tell everyone that this is yet another game from that brain?
"
That's the reason.
#39 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -
CitizenKane said:
"It's the same reason why they have "Steven Spielberg's _______" in movie adds.  It's branding to get a game more media attention, nothing to do with him wanting his name on it.  Which games sounds more exciting to you:  "McDonald's Playground" or "Sid Meier's McDonald's Playground"?
"
Sid Meier's McDonald's Playground sounds like the greatest game ever made. :)
#40 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6081 posts) -

I'm a Sid Meier product whore.  If it has his name on it, odds are I'll buy it.  Most of the games I've played with that prefix have been right up my alley.

Moderator Online
#41 Posted by Player1 (3851 posts) -

It seems like hes kinda proud of himself. But until he puts out a shit game, it doesn't matter to me. 

#42 Posted by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

I of course thinks he has every right to put his name on every game he makes but I heard the official story was that after finishing the Civilisation series Meier's studio wanted the public to know that they were buying a game with the same quality as Civ. and so the Sid Meier's prefix was born.

#43 Posted by maimran91 (358 posts) -

He wanted to be known as the greatest game developer ever

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.