Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jan 31, 1999

Compete as one of seven ideological factions vying for control of a distant planet in the Alpha Centauri star system while uncovering the secrets of the planet they inhabit.

A Day of AC

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

Edited By ahoodedfigure

AC apparently translates into a lot of things. Advanced Civilization, a game I've played quite frequently is one (and it's related indirectly to the game I'm going to talk about today). Some might think of Armor Class, or Adam Curtis.** Another is Assassin's Creed, which is probably what most gamers think of when they see those two letters together (if not Air Conditioning).

Nah, I'm talking about Alpha Centauri.

I bought the game for about ten bucks after it was mentioned on Rock, Paper, Shotgun. The transhuman themes appealed to me, and whatever problems I have with the aesthetics of Sid Meier's Civilization I don't have with AC, because you never have anachronistic units standing beside each other, or static empires that always seem to resemble their ancient founders. There are other problems that I have with the Civ system that are present in this game, but more on that in a bit.

Civ... in Spaaaaace! By Space, though, I Mean a Different Planet. Named Planet.

In AC you represent one of several factions who broadly mirror earth philosophies, or at least how one might imagine how they would act if caught in a 4x style strategy game. As your civilization grows and you plow through the expansive technology tree, you learn new ways to mod your society, and you can shift around the social order pretty quickly whether you ostensibly run a democracy or a dictatorship. All these factions find themselves on a planet in orbit around Alpha Centauri, escaping a troubled earth and trying to begin things a new. Naturally complications ensue, both from the planet itself and from the many factions who are often antagonistic toward one another in ways that are not always clear.

Each society is also static, unable to be influenced by its neighboring societies without express permission from the ruling dictators in the form of changes to social structure, or technological exchanges in the better-than-average diplomatic interface. This is, of course, not how real societies work. Often dictators wind up fighting their own populations to stop them from doing what seems natural: learning about things outside their little world and at the very least buying strange looking pottery at a flea market. This weirdly primitive, isolated view of the way human civilizations build as if in completely isolation, even in war, is nothing new in games like this, but it irks me nonetheless, at least on a conceptual level.

But the last thing Alpha Centauri needs is more complexity. I have never played a Civ game in my life, but I get the feeling they were sort of expecting some level of Civ experience going in. It was a bit overwhelming at first to learn about what to do, and although the tutorials (which you can turn off OR ON at will, which I wish more games would do instead of considering the tutorial to be content) helped me get my bearings as far as the basics, after a few games I realized there was a lot more going on in the game that the tutorials alluded to. This is one of those games where the manual is still king, but I'm not going to read the pdf through cover to cover--  I'll just look up how to do a few things and, only when I've managed to beat the thing maybe, I'll check to see if there's anything I've missed. The last thing I want to do is spoil some minor detail, because one of the nice things about playing this game is that I'm playing it fresh, with few preconceived notions about what I'm supposed to do about how things work.

"No! This One Goes here, That One Goes there!"

The game's complexity only really dawned on me on this attempt, my third (which I'm still in the middle of). The first two resulted in me getting wiped out by one of the more aggressive factions. This time I took control of probably the most aggressive faction so I didn't have to be attacked by them, and then proceeded to make a technology-focused island nation (wasn't my choice about the island, though. The random map sort of cheesed me, unless all that water is why I haven't been attacked very aggressively of yet). I learned to terraform the land to bring about different benefits, to find proper places to colonize, to develop advanced machines to fly around and spy on stuff. In other games of this type, Master of Orion 2 I'm thinking of specifically, I grow to hate micromanaging each world, but here each city has its own development history and resources, so they feel a bit more personalized and I actually enjoy developing them a lot more. It's still a chore to catch a new city up to its older peers, though. There are automated governors, but I haven't used them a whole lot except to show me how to best arrange workers so they don't riot on me and still give me the most material benefits.

For all this game's focus on hostilities, it's not terribly involved when you actually get in a fight, since most of the random rolls happen behind the veil. You see the results of the combat quickly, sometimes too quickly, and move on. Other than having to watch diligently while the enemy moves the game is turn-based, so I never feel like the game is running away from me (if there's any problem its due to my own decisions and luck, not where my camera happened to be), and each turn takes about a year of game time so that makes sense.

Since it's only a full day of playing, I have yet to figure out if this is a long-term game for me, but so far I know that for whatever blockheaded single-mindedness the game has with how it approaches civilization building, the actual building of a civilization is still fun and varied enough that I'll be able to experiment with different strategies for quite a while.

I Don't Wanna Know What Nerve Stapling Is

As for the aesthetics of the game, for all the nice transhumanism in Alpha Centauri you find a profound totalitarian streak in the way you run even the most lenient of societies, and this feeling is backed up by some of the brief narrative interludes the game supplies for flavor. I hope to Whatever that humanity never manages to be this horrible to itself, but if this tone is interpreted as a satire of unchecked ambition, it works well.

Anyone out there play Civ or Alpha Centauri? I'm sorta new to this whole thing, but I think I see why some people like it.

** or Asheron's Call, or Armored Core, or Ace Combat...
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ahoodedfigure

AC apparently translates into a lot of things. Advanced Civilization, a game I've played quite frequently is one (and it's related indirectly to the game I'm going to talk about today). Some might think of Armor Class, or Adam Curtis.** Another is Assassin's Creed, which is probably what most gamers think of when they see those two letters together (if not Air Conditioning).

Nah, I'm talking about Alpha Centauri.

I bought the game for about ten bucks after it was mentioned on Rock, Paper, Shotgun. The transhuman themes appealed to me, and whatever problems I have with the aesthetics of Sid Meier's Civilization I don't have with AC, because you never have anachronistic units standing beside each other, or static empires that always seem to resemble their ancient founders. There are other problems that I have with the Civ system that are present in this game, but more on that in a bit.

Civ... in Spaaaaace! By Space, though, I Mean a Different Planet. Named Planet.

In AC you represent one of several factions who broadly mirror earth philosophies, or at least how one might imagine how they would act if caught in a 4x style strategy game. As your civilization grows and you plow through the expansive technology tree, you learn new ways to mod your society, and you can shift around the social order pretty quickly whether you ostensibly run a democracy or a dictatorship. All these factions find themselves on a planet in orbit around Alpha Centauri, escaping a troubled earth and trying to begin things a new. Naturally complications ensue, both from the planet itself and from the many factions who are often antagonistic toward one another in ways that are not always clear.

Each society is also static, unable to be influenced by its neighboring societies without express permission from the ruling dictators in the form of changes to social structure, or technological exchanges in the better-than-average diplomatic interface. This is, of course, not how real societies work. Often dictators wind up fighting their own populations to stop them from doing what seems natural: learning about things outside their little world and at the very least buying strange looking pottery at a flea market. This weirdly primitive, isolated view of the way human civilizations build as if in completely isolation, even in war, is nothing new in games like this, but it irks me nonetheless, at least on a conceptual level.

But the last thing Alpha Centauri needs is more complexity. I have never played a Civ game in my life, but I get the feeling they were sort of expecting some level of Civ experience going in. It was a bit overwhelming at first to learn about what to do, and although the tutorials (which you can turn off OR ON at will, which I wish more games would do instead of considering the tutorial to be content) helped me get my bearings as far as the basics, after a few games I realized there was a lot more going on in the game that the tutorials alluded to. This is one of those games where the manual is still king, but I'm not going to read the pdf through cover to cover--  I'll just look up how to do a few things and, only when I've managed to beat the thing maybe, I'll check to see if there's anything I've missed. The last thing I want to do is spoil some minor detail, because one of the nice things about playing this game is that I'm playing it fresh, with few preconceived notions about what I'm supposed to do about how things work.

"No! This One Goes here, That One Goes there!"

The game's complexity only really dawned on me on this attempt, my third (which I'm still in the middle of). The first two resulted in me getting wiped out by one of the more aggressive factions. This time I took control of probably the most aggressive faction so I didn't have to be attacked by them, and then proceeded to make a technology-focused island nation (wasn't my choice about the island, though. The random map sort of cheesed me, unless all that water is why I haven't been attacked very aggressively of yet). I learned to terraform the land to bring about different benefits, to find proper places to colonize, to develop advanced machines to fly around and spy on stuff. In other games of this type, Master of Orion 2 I'm thinking of specifically, I grow to hate micromanaging each world, but here each city has its own development history and resources, so they feel a bit more personalized and I actually enjoy developing them a lot more. It's still a chore to catch a new city up to its older peers, though. There are automated governors, but I haven't used them a whole lot except to show me how to best arrange workers so they don't riot on me and still give me the most material benefits.

For all this game's focus on hostilities, it's not terribly involved when you actually get in a fight, since most of the random rolls happen behind the veil. You see the results of the combat quickly, sometimes too quickly, and move on. Other than having to watch diligently while the enemy moves the game is turn-based, so I never feel like the game is running away from me (if there's any problem its due to my own decisions and luck, not where my camera happened to be), and each turn takes about a year of game time so that makes sense.

Since it's only a full day of playing, I have yet to figure out if this is a long-term game for me, but so far I know that for whatever blockheaded single-mindedness the game has with how it approaches civilization building, the actual building of a civilization is still fun and varied enough that I'll be able to experiment with different strategies for quite a while.

I Don't Wanna Know What Nerve Stapling Is

As for the aesthetics of the game, for all the nice transhumanism in Alpha Centauri you find a profound totalitarian streak in the way you run even the most lenient of societies, and this feeling is backed up by some of the brief narrative interludes the game supplies for flavor. I hope to Whatever that humanity never manages to be this horrible to itself, but if this tone is interpreted as a satire of unchecked ambition, it works well.

Anyone out there play Civ or Alpha Centauri? I'm sorta new to this whole thing, but I think I see why some people like it.

** or Asheron's Call, or Armored Core, or Ace Combat...
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By nintendoeats

I have the tech tree for this game on my ceiling. I never actually played the game, but I put the poster up just for fun.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it's been there for about 6 years. Still haven't bothered to play the game.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @nintendoeats:  Ha! Did it come with the box? I got the main game and the expansion, but it was just in a DVD case with no documentation. Just the pdf.  Bleah.

Six years, though-- You think it's left a mark on your ceiling by now?
    Egge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Egge

I don't care much for Civilization-style games in general, but Alpha Centauri is still easily one of my favorite games of all time. Because their various motivations and world views are so clearly based on actual ideologies from the real world (not counting the enjoyable but somewhat absurd expansion Alien Crossfire), for me the faction leaders in AC are among the most interesting characters in all of gaming. Alpha Centauri's addictive turn-based gameplay is fine on its own, but the main draw for me have always been hearing those wonderful quotes - sometimes taken from classic philosophical works and sometimes written by the developers specifically for individual faction leader - which accompany the tech discoveries and Secret Projects. That, and exterminating the annoying fundamentalist leader Sister Miriam Godwinson (although even she has some smart things to say once in a while)...

As always with me and games, everything I say has already been expressed a bit more clearly in the video description to one of my YouTube clips;

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By nintendoeats
    @ahoodedfigure: I have a big old 90s box. It's absolutely huge, real pain to store. Came with all the documentation. 2 bucks.
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @Egge: Some of that feel for the characters deadened for me when I realized that their dialog, while different, often wound up falling along the same basic lines. But their characterization, you're right, is a lot more detailed than you'd expect for a game like this, and you do get a feel for them.

I also like that the factions sometimes make ideological diplomatic decisions (I think the Hive went to war with me, ostensibly just because I chose to have a democracy...  heh, *I* chose a democracy. Isn't that nice of me?)

Miriam DOES have a few smart things to say, but that's why this game's factions are much better than the usual stuff you'll find. You get reasonable statements from just about everyone, at least sometimes, and some duplicitous behavior too (in my current game, the eco folks pushed to melt the polar ice caps on purpose for some undisclosed reason).  I find I don't side fully with any of the factions, though. I'm not loading up the expansion until I need to boost my interest in the game, but some of the factions seem more sensible than others conceptually. Does it add anything else to the game other than factions?
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @nintendoeats: 2 bucks?  Man. I think I paid more than 10 all told. Ah well, I missed my real chance back when the thing was generally available, and the game isn't tampered with so I can't really complain.
    Egge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Egge
    @ahoodedfigure: It's a bit hard for me to say exactly what is specific to the expansion since I haven't played SMAC without Alien Crossfire installed since the year 2000 when I "upgraded" to the Planetary Pack edition of the game. What I do know is that Alien Crossfire adds new tech upgrades and numerous minor tweaks to the basic gameplay (supposedly including the AI), and there's no need to deal with any of the new factions if you don't want to (the aliens in particular can be as unbalanced as they are physically unattractive). When I set up a new game of SMAC I usually end up including most of the original leaders and maybe one or two of the expansion-specific factions.
    buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9  Edited By buft

I remember playing this when i was in my Civ phase but for the life of me i cant remember that much about it.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @buft: It may be because it's almost like Civ two-and-a-half in terms of development. I hear they even used some of the ideas from Alpha Centauri toward their development of Civ III. Since you've played a lot of Civ games they might have blended in a bit.  That and it was like, what, ten years ago?

@Egge: The AI's doing OK right now, and frankly I have enough tech developments to deal with at present. I'll hold off for a while, I guess.
    Egge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Egge
    @ahoodedfigure: Ok, but it's better to think of the expansion as "SMAC 2.0" rather than something strictly for the Alpha Centauri veteran who wants shiny new stuff to complicate the basic gameplay with. Indeed, if it were the latter I wouldn't have wanted anything to do with it given just how laughably bad I've always been at strategy games (especially the Civ series).
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @Egge: I do feel a bit of my old Strategy Game Angst that I used to have. I never used to get near games like this because I was intimidated, and to be honest I felt that way with a lot of role-playing games, too. Now entry-level games tend to be a bit too soft on players, but I wonder if I was afraid because of how games used to be: unforgiving for those who didn't already get it coming in.

The angst here is that I feel like you have to keep several things going at once, and I don't really have a grasp on what all needs to be done to make a successful faction, since I don't use everything to its full potential. I guess that's all part of the learning process, though.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#13  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I think I've mentioned it before, but this is probably one of my more favorite Sid Meier games (along with Colonization and its remake for being a little more focused and small scale than your average Civ scenario). Alpha Centauri is basically Civ II in space, but because Activision still had the Civilization license firaxis couldn't legally make Civ III until they bought it back in like 2000. In this interim two games bearing the civ name were made and then quickly forgotten by the general populace.

it has a lot of the same gameplay systems as it's predecesor, but it has a little more personality than your average 4X game. All the factions are varying caricatures of earthly philosophies (I don't see why anyone would want to play as the fundamentalists or the hive though, as both get crappy research) and the way a quote is read every time you research something is an aspect that I appreciate for no real reason other than it's kind of classy. (they did that in Civ IV as well, but with Leonard Nimoy reading all the quotes. Can't complain about that either). I've messed with the Alien Crossfire expansion, though not to a very great degree. The factions there are more weird in nature (Cyborgs, Hackers, Pirates, even more extreme environmentalists, worker drones, and two fairly overpowered alien factions.) and it's a pain to run in XP. You should take a look if you ever get around to it.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @ArbitraryWater: I think personality goes a long way. If all these sorts of games had was mechanical innovations, I'd quit the whole lot of them, because I guess I'm a bit dreamy in the head and want to imagine actually experiencing different dynamics instead of being expected to extract it all. Few, if any games do what Alpha Centauri does in terms of glimpsing possible futures of humanity, which is just great. 

Yeah, the voiced pronouncements totally are classy, and are sometimes laced with humor or really dark undertones that make them fun to listen to (and they're easy enough to skip. I'll probably not listen to them too much past the first one, but I appreciate the effort that went into them).

As for the expansion, that actually came in the thing I bought. I just haven't put it on there because I want to experience stuff in order. What's cool is that this game runs perfectly on my machine, and takes up less than half a gig (as long as I don't install the movies).

The only Sid Meier game I've played so far to any great degree has been his old EGA train game, Railroad Tycoon, I think. I loved that, even though I'm pretty sure I never played it optimally since my trains would always get stuck in places or I'd run out of money.
    NicksCorner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By NicksCorner

This was the first game I ever bought on launch day and it is still my favorite Civ game. The social engineering tab was genious. I loved the Workshop; Not that usefull all the time. But once in a while the need for a special unit could arise, and the ability to tailor each part was neat.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.