Am I playing Civ 4 wrong?

#1 Posted by spartica (75 posts) -

I just got Civ 4 and it seems kinda fun, but I find that I'm constantly ending turns and waiting a good portion of the time. Is this the type of game that takes a long time to learn how to properly play it? Can someone give some direction as to what types of paths I can take besides the usual amass an army? I'm having trouble understanding how to take different paths.

#2 Posted by Jams (2966 posts) -

Usually I just keep expanding and exploiting whatever resources the area you colonized has. I guess it's hard for me to explain since I'm not really good at those games either and haven't really played Civ 4 in a while. There's probably a youtube let's play out there that could help you.

#3 Posted by itspizza (445 posts) -

Expand early, it is much harder mid to late game to get land that might have the resources you want. Luxury resources are key as well, they add happiness to your empire, and can come in handy when trading with other empires. Having cities on a river or on the sea adds benefits to them as well

#4 Posted by Arabes (345 posts) -

It's a 4x game so it defintely takes a long time to understand. What difficulty are you playing it on? If you set it to easy then there is no challenge, the AI won't take the initiative and you will never have to react, you can just dictate the course of the game (I find this very boring).I would advise against playing on chieftain, try a prince short game with 4 or 5 ai on a small map and you'll get a better idea of what it's like to play (civ is most fun when you run the risk of loosing).

There are 4 paths to victory - science, domination, culture and wealth. Pick one and go for it.Domination - focus on building up armies and attacking other empires. Science, take more of a turtle approach, generate as much research as you can, the same for culture and money. Generally you'll play a mix of these tactics.

If you need guides go look at civ fanatic.

#5 Posted by MentalDisruption (1670 posts) -

The amount of waiting depends on what speed you're playing and how much you're micromanaging the systems in place. For example, if you're automating workers and letting your governors choose where your pop should be working then you'll spend a lot of time just hitting the next turn button. And as others said, expand early and check out civfanatics for good Civ IV guides. There should still be guides to the different victory types there.

#6 Edited by Zevvion (2340 posts) -

Expand early, it is much harder mid to late game to get land that might have the resources you want. Luxury resources are key as well, they add happiness to your empire, and can come in handy when trading with other empires. Having cities on a river or on the sea adds benefits to them as well

This.

Civilization really is the type of game where you learn how to play by playing. Just remember to focus on expanding, set the AI not too hard, but definitely not to easy either. Get defeated and learn where you went wrong.

Tutorials still won't teach you how to play the game, as ultimately, you'll have to be mindful of every of the countless aspects that come into playing it. You'll have to lose a couple of times and each time you'll think: 'Oh, I should've done this and shouldn't have done that'.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.