Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sid Meier's Civilization IV

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Oct 25, 2005

The fourth official installment of the empire-building turn-based strategy game Sid Meier's Civilization, adding 3D graphics, a simpler user interface, and numerous gameplay enhancements.

How do the Civ PC games compare to that on the 360?

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By whackmypinata

First off, let me say I was never into RTS games. I was put off by the thought of waiting for things to happen. Recently, I purchased Civ Rev for the 360 and was blown away. It was great, and was very rewarding. The multiplayer in that game was superb, although it moved at a horrendously slow pace.
    My question is, how does this game compare? Barely anyone plays on the 360, and I could use a competitive PC game. I hear there is a lot more depth in the PC versions, and that the 360 version is basically a stripped down version for mostly newcomers to the franchise. Would it be hard to learn for a noob to the PC? The 360 game took me a while to figure out, but once I did, it was great.
    How similar is the 360 game to the PC games? I'm not limiting my options to buying Colonization, because it sounds kind of shallow only being set in the set era. Which is the most accessible Civ game for the PC? If a Civilization vet can help me out here, I'd truly appreciate it.
    Thanks!

shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By shotaro

depends not played the 360 games but on the PC and its so much easier to play and I think a lot more in-depth

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By jakob187

The PC games involve a LOT of micro-management...and it's not a RTS.  It's a TBS...turn-based strategy.

It's not impossible for someone new to the franchise to learn how to PLAY the PC game...on single-player...with low AI adjusted.  If you are looking to do multiplayer on the PC, better be good...because those guys are brutal.

Also, hope you aren't planning on spamming all the Civ forums with this same comment.  =  /
    whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By whackmypinata
    jakob187 said:
    "The PC games involve a LOT of micro-management...and it's not a RTS.  It's a TBS...turn-based strategy.
    It's not impossible for someone new to the franchise to learn how to PLAY the PC game...on single-player...with low AI adjusted.  If you are looking to do multiplayer on the PC, better be good...because those guys are brutal.

Also, hope you aren't planning on spamming all the Civ forums with this same comment.  =  /
    "
    What is micro-management exactly?
    And how long do you think it will take to learn how to play the PC game?
    PS: There was a glitch in my first post which is why I posted it twice. It didn't show my username in the first one.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jakob187

Do I seriously have to look up the definition of micro-management for you?

As far as how long it will take to learn the PC game...here's a comparison I can give to you:  Civ Revolution is to Civ PC games : Viva Pinata is to Black & White

In other words, it's not easily accessible to everyone, and if you plan on getting good at it and really enjoying it, then you need to really be up for quite a few hours and a lot of micro-management.  Plus, while Civ Rev games will typically last about 3-4 hours (if you drag them out), a Civ IV game can take a couple days.  If you get really hardcore and go back to Civ III or Civ II, then you are talking about a week or two.  If you want to go back to when I started the franchise, back on Windows 3.x in the middle school library...it would definitely take me a while to beat a game.
    Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Out_On_Bail

micro-management is this:  all the tasks in the civ rev (360) version plus a ton more.  You handle everything.  If you think Civ Rev was a bunch to handle well strap your seatbelt.  People that play the PC version (not all, but some) were complaining about how civ rev was a step down.  It wasn't at all, for reasons I think the OP already understands.   I'd give any of the PC versions  a shot, with the understanding you have of civrev the learning curve won't be bad at all.

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By whackmypinata
    jakob187 said:
    "Do I seriously have to look up the definition of micro-management for you?
    As far as how long it will take to learn the PC game...here's a comparison I can give to you:  Civ Revolution is to Civ PC games : Viva Pinata is to Black & White

In other words, it's not easily accessible to everyone, and if you plan on getting good at it and really enjoying it, then you need to really be up for quite a few hours and a lot of micro-management.  Plus, while Civ Rev games will typically last about 3-4 hours (if you drag them out), a Civ IV game can take a couple days.  If you get really hardcore and go back to Civ III or Civ II, then you are talking about a week or two.  If you want to go back to when I started the franchise, back on Windows 3.x in the middle school library...it would definitely take me a while to beat a game.
    "
    What the hell? Games taking couple of days? Do multiplayer games last that long, or is it just the single player?
    Out_On_Bail
    said:
    "micro-management is this:  all the tasks in the civ rev (360) version plus a ton more.  You handle everything.  If you think Civ Rev was a bunch to handle well strap your seatbelt.  People that play the PC version (not all, but some) were complaining about how civ rev was a step down.  It wasn't at all, for reasons I think the OP already understands.   I'd give any of the PC versions  a shot, with the understanding you have of civrev the learning curve won't be bad at all."
    Thank you.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jakob187

Multiplayer games can typically be saved and players come back to them later on.  The single player, you can drag it out forever.

I think Out On Bail gave a good description.  It's very much about handling every little thing.  It's really something you just have to give a shot, which is why Civ on PC has always been a very hardcore fanbase.  It doesn't really allow much room for new folks to come into it.  Civ Rev did that.

By the way...I loved Civ Rev just as much as I loved the Civ games.  I thought they did a fan-fucking-tastic job of bringing Civ over to the consoles in the proper fashion that it deserved.
    whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By whackmypinata
    jakob187 said:
    "Multiplayer games can typically be saved and players come back to them later on.  The single player, you can drag it out forever.
    I think Out On Bail gave a good description.  It's very much about handling every little thing.  It's really something you just have to give a shot, which is why Civ on PC has always been a very hardcore fanbase.  It doesn't really allow much room for new folks to come into it.  Civ Rev did that.

By the way...I loved Civ Rev just as much as I loved the Civ games.  I thought they did a fan-fucking-tastic job of bringing Civ over to the consoles in the proper fashion that it deserved.

I was initially expecting the same kind of multiplayer thats on Civ Rev (just the same as single player). The way you described it, I'm a bit unclear on how it works. How do turns work if the players aren't always playing at the same times?
    I was hoping for the same kind of multiplayer, sit down for 3-4 hours on a boring day and cram a game in. Is it like that?
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jakob187
    whackmypinata said:
    " I was initially expecting the same kind of multiplayer thats on Civ Rev (just the same as single player). The way you described it, I'm a bit unclear on how it works. How do turns work if the players aren't always playing at the same times?
    I was hoping for the same kind of multiplayer, sit down for 3-4 hours on a boring day and cram a game in. Is it like that?
    "
    It's unclear because there isn't really a way of describing it without filling about seven pages with random crap that, unless you've played the games, will make absolutely no sense.
    If you are this confused or unsure from just a forum thread, I would suggest sticking with Civ Rev.  That alone is a fun-as-hell game that still holds a good level of depth to it.  The only reason you need to move up to the PC games is if you are trying to upgrade from pot to heroin.
    whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By whackmypinata
    jakob187 said:
    "whackmypinata said:
    " I was initially expecting the same kind of multiplayer thats on Civ Rev (just the same as single player). The way you described it, I'm a bit unclear on how it works. How do turns work if the players aren't always playing at the same times?
    "
    It's unclear because there isn't really a way of describing it without filling about seven pages with random crap that, unless you've played the games, will make absolutely no sense.
    If you are this confused or unsure from just a forum thread, I would suggest sticking with Civ Rev.  That alone is a fun-as-hell game that still holds a good level of depth to it.  The only reason you need to move up to the PC games is if you are trying to upgrade from pot to heroin.
    "
    Civ Rev is great. I love it. I think I want something more in depth, however.
    And my veins are too perfect looking.
    kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By kmdrkul
    whackmypinata said:
    "First off, let me say I was never into RTS games. I was put off by the thought of waiting for things to happen. Recently, I purchased Civ Rev for the 360 and was blown away. It was great, and was very rewarding. The multiplayer in that game was superb, although it moved at a horrendously slow pace.
    My question is, how does this game compare? Barely anyone plays on the 360, and I could use a competitive PC game. I hear there is a lot more depth in the PC versions, and that the 360 version is basically a stripped down version for mostly newcomers to the franchise. Would it be hard to learn for a noob to the PC? The 360 game took me a while to figure out, but once I did, it was great.
    How similar is the 360 game to the PC games? I'm not limiting my options to buying Colonization, because it sounds kind of shallow only being set in the set era. Which is the most accessible Civ game for the PC? If a Civilization vet can help me out here, I'd truly appreciate it.
    Thanks!"
    I am a FIRM believer that Civilization 3 is easily the best in the series.  I have played IV and Revolution and both are great games, but in the end I would choose Civilization 3 and its expansion packs.  It still has an incredibly loyal online community which does not seem to be going anywhere anytime soon.  Revolution removes workers, which are crucial in all player strategies in the PC counterparts.  Revolution introduces more of a find and conquer style whereas the PC games have many varied strategies.
    ppallo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By ppallo

I came to the franchise in 2002 with civ 3 and have gone on to play civ 4 plus expansions If these ar your 2 choices go with civ 4 definetly it allows much more auto managing for the new player and has the same kind of graphics style to civ rev. Also in the civ games for the pc you might be able to win games on any difficulty and still go online and be crushed civ online = Civ Crazy Hard.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Diamond

The AI cheats far more in the PC versions of 3 and 4 than in Civ Rev.  To me the gameplay isn't fun at all there at anything but the lower difficulties because of the way the game cheats.  CivRev's AI cheats, but it's much more manageable.  I really like the religion system in 4, and the theme and style is also better in 4.  Diplomacy is a little too simple in CivRev IMO.  Also levels can be much bigger in the PC versions of the game, they really should have given that option in CivRev.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By mracoon

There's a lot more detail and depth in the PC version. I also find it easier to control.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.