Was this your first Civ game?

#1 Posted by rexCo (28 posts) -

Personally, I had never played any Civ games before this, but I downloaded the demo and was hooked. Its got a great learning curve and really addictive gameplay. I bought it a few days ago and just last night I had my first domination victory as the aztecs.

#2 Posted by JRSPipBoy2008 (9 posts) -

My first Civ game was Civilization II in 1993?  We put it on the computers in the library's comp lab at my college and we would come in all the time to play it.  I've been playing Civilization ever since.

#3 Posted by Zaxex (586 posts) -

This is also my first civ game, a very similar story to rex's. Tried the demo (over 5 times) and shortly after, bought it. Been hooked since, a very good game; which makes me curious how much more open the PC Civ IV is.

#4 Posted by Chaos (97 posts) -

My first was Civ III. I got it as a free bootleg. So it was missing all the animation, and music, but the basic game was there.

#5 Posted by Dolphin_Butter (1915 posts) -

My first Civilization game was Civilization II.  But I got introduced to it about 2 years ago.

#6 Posted by Bruuin (21 posts) -

My first was the PC original, where soldiers and cities were just represented by little squares with a picture on them.  It was ridiculously addictive, even back then!

#7 Posted by JacobBrodersen (321 posts) -

My first was the original, but i was a little young to understand anything, so when Civ2 i really got into it! :D

#8 Posted by RVonE (4638 posts) -

Civ II was my first civ game. However, it was Alpha Centauri that really made me get into it; it is also the one I still like the most (while it is strictly not a civ game).

#9 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

Yep, this is my first Civ game, and although I'm aware that it isn't the most true or complete Civilization title, I'm enjoying it thoroughly and want more Civilization. MORE!

#10 Posted by Gargantuan (1882 posts) -

My first Civ was Civ 4 that I borrowed from a cousin but I've played a lot of  Alpha Centauri before. I really need to buy Civ 4 since I had to give it back to him.
I hope that Sid makes a new Alpha Centauri soon...

#11 Posted by rexCo (28 posts) -
rexCo said:
"Personally, I had never played any Civ games before this, but I downloaded the demo and was hooked. Its got a great learning curve and really addictive gameplay. I bought it a few days ago and just last night I had my first domination victory as the aztecs.
"
ugh, oh man i didnt mean what i typed in that last part there. What i meant to say was that last night i had my first domination victory on DEITY as the aztecs.
#12 Posted by Mindphaser (20 posts) -

I think I actually played Colonization first. Civ II was my first Civ game though. But I was more into Space Empires.

#13 Edited by Player1 (3868 posts) -

Considering buying this. The only thing stopping me is Halo Wars looming in the distance. I dont want to be all RTS'ed out by the time that comes out.

Is it worth it??

#14 Posted by videogameman (45 posts) -
Player1 said:
"Considering buying this. The only thing stopping me is Halo Wars looming in the distance. I dont want to be all RTS'ed out by the time that comes out.

Is it worth it??"

Yes. Very much worth it. And yes, this is the first one I played.
#15 Posted by PixieNinja (172 posts) -

This is the latest in a long line of Civ games for me - my first experience was with the original game back on the good old Amiga, not sure back when though - early 90s perhaps?

I moved onto Civ II on the PlayStation, then Civ III onwards on the PC.  Had some truly EPIC games on the PC - a recent play-by-email game against one of my friends lasted for over a year! The actual playtime added up to around 20 hours though, to give you guys an idea of just how much longer those games can take.

#16 Posted by CylonCreator (5 posts) -

First Civ game for me and now I'm hooked.  Going to have to get Civ 4 for my PC and am also keeping a close eye on the new Colonization

#17 Posted by wildnine00 (15 posts) -

Guess I kind of got on board late. My first was Civ III, which straight up ate several months of my life after I first got it. I still play it occasionally to this day.

#18 Posted by MetalExile (22 posts) -

I was always interested in the Civilization games, as they looked really interesting, but I was intimidated by them at the same time.  I don't have a particularly friendly history with strategy games, you see, as I tend to suck at them.  Still, I've wanted to get better at them and I always did want to play a Civ game.

When Civ Revolution came around it was the first in the series I had actually tried.  I downloaded the demo and absolutely loved it.  I'm sold on the game, although I have yet to buy it.  I can't wait to get my hands on it and play more.

#19 Posted by SuicideFLip (27 posts) -

I had tried Civ 4 after my friend told me how much he liked it, but I just couldn't get into it.  Then the demo for Civ Rev hit and I time warped from about 11 pm to 3 am playing it one night.  After that, since the full game wasn't out yet, I tried Civ 4 again and still didn't like it much.  I just got Civ Rev the other day and can't stop playing.  Online team mode is a ton of fun.

#20 Posted by LouChou (458 posts) -

Surprisigly I was addicted to Civ 2, and understood it fully, at the age of 11. But revisiting Civ 4 recently I was just warped by it. I didn't know what the fuck I was doing. However, I checked out Civ Rev and managed to get along with it okay. Mind you, Civ Rev is like My First Civ. I half expect it to be made by Tomy and have a playful, child-friendly cartoon character on the front - a true testament to my lack of brain cells, I'm sure, but one that keeps me amused.

#21 Posted by ethanmmm (25 posts) -

yeah i dont think i could get into it if it was not cartoony like this one is

#22 Posted by damswedon (3191 posts) -

this is my first civ game

#23 Posted by scriptorum (5 posts) -

I'm old. My first civ game was the first Civ game. It set the bar against which I compared all strategy games.

#24 Posted by ItalianHammerUS (32 posts) -

I had seen Civ a long time ago but never got in to it. I was very surprised i got so hooked to the demo and i bought 4 to try and make the wait easier. I have to say though i did not enjoy it as much as Revo.

Civ Rev'lution is defenetly the first Civ i enjoy and i do enjoy it a whole lot

#25 Posted by evilhomer (429 posts) -

not even close.  Ive spent way too much time on civ games....

One more turn...

#26 Posted by MrCynical (66 posts) -

My first Civ game was the fairly rare CivNet that came free with our family's first PC. Since I was relatively young at the time I didn't have the attention span to play it through all the time, but it was still great. 

#27 Posted by JJGIANT (755 posts) -

Yep my first civ game, I think its probably a good entry level because i'm guessing the pc ones are way more complex!

#28 Posted by tGrip (2 posts) -

i honestly can't remember if Civ II or III was my first.  i know i played the snot out of Civ IV though.  i just gameflied Civ Rev though, so i haven't gotten my hands on anything but the demo at this point.  i look forward to checking it out from the comfort of my couch, b/c i'm...well, lazy.

#29 Posted by HoldSteady828 (165 posts) -

Civ 2 owned me in high school. I'd put it on a disk that could run on any computer so that i could play it on the school computers when i was supposed to be learning how to program pascal or basic.

#30 Posted by Systech (4078 posts) -

I played a little bit of Civ IV, but that was only about 3 sit-downs.

#31 Posted by NateDogg (465 posts) -

I haven't played a Civ game since the very first one... and back then i was way to young to understand the game :P

#32 Posted by Turtlefuzz (257 posts) -

I really want to try this one out, I think it looks sweet. I've never really played any civ games before in-depth, but I played Civ 3 at my friends house, I thought it was pretty cool.

#33 Posted by Artie (690 posts) -

This is my "2nd" civ game, after Civ 4 and Civ Beyond the Sword, but I guess those are the same thing.

I really didn't like Civ Rev though, it's too simple, it's like a really bad Age of Empires clone or something. 2/5 stars, seriously.

#34 Posted by Bartiemus (253 posts) -

first game was civ one been playin ever scince

#35 Posted by Dimpley (126 posts) -

This is my first actually! Never really been into RTS games but gave this a shot when looking for a new game, and it payed off! I think its awesome! And am actually learning a lot :P

One thing though is that i wish they added a custom game option. Where you can set the game rules, length and stuff. But otherwise I'm loving it!

#36 Posted by Relys (984 posts) -

This was my first one and I was very disappointed with the lack of depth in some areas.

#37 Posted by Manks (836 posts) -

No, my first Civ was Civ 3.  

#38 Posted by KennyTheSober (50 posts) -

Original civ back on the commodore 64, took some time to boot up a game back then! 4  disks i think

#39 Posted by Hexpane (1397 posts) -

my first Civ brand game but I've played quite a few TBS titles on various platforms.  WAAAAAY back in the day I used to play some free TBS games for the mac that had a similar "cartoony" look

My only complaint is no carry over, I don't like how the game just ends and you have to start all over again with nothing.

#40 Posted by jakob187 (21672 posts) -

I played the first Civilization on Win 3.1 in the school library when I was in 6th grade.  It changed my life.  = D

#41 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"I played the first Civilization on Win 3.1 in the school library when I was in 6th grade.  It changed my life.  = D"
Huh.
I thought you were born an adult. I can't imagine you as a child.
#42 Posted by Foxdemon2k (261 posts) -

My first one was the 3rd one. Been following the series from then.

#43 Posted by randiolo (1091 posts) -
rexCo said:
Personally, I had never played any Civ games before this, but I downloaded the demo and was hooked. Its got ... [more]
yea in the same boat here, it wasnt too bad but i got over it afer a month or so, still a good game thoe.
#44 Posted by Tebbit (4465 posts) -

Civ 2 for me. On the freaking Megadive (Genesis for you folks up north).

And man was it awesome.
#45 Posted by Grilledcheez (3947 posts) -

Civ 4 was my first but my older brother played a lot of 3. :)

#46 Posted by Karmum (11519 posts) -

No, but it is probably my favorite of the series.

#47 Posted by Jedted (2364 posts) -

This is the first Civ that i really got into, i played a little bit of Civ4 but i found it a little slow for my tastes and there was too much to keep track of.  CivRev however is a bit more simplified and made to work with a controller.  I also find it somewhat relaxing because i don't have to micromanage that much stuff. 
#48 Posted by SSully (4191 posts) -
@Jedted said:
" This is the first Civ that i really got into, i played a little bit of Civ4 but i found it a little slow for my tastes and there was too much to keep track of.  CivRev however is a bit more simplified and made to work with a controller.  I also find it somewhat relaxing because i don't have to micromanage that much stuff.  "
HOLY POST BUMP BATMAN!!!!!!!!!! 

But i guess to be on topic my first civ game was civ 4. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.