Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Jun 13, 2008

The long-running Civilization series of strategy games makes a brief (yet smooth) transition to both video game consoles and handheld devices with Civilization Revolution.

Why do I like this game?

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By whackmypinata

First off, I have never played an RTS game seriously before. A couple friends got into it, so I decided to give it a shot. Now I love this game. Is it because this game itself is amazing, or is it because its a good RTS game? If I had played a good RTS before, would I have felt the same playing this one? I'm sure if I had never played a FPS before and played Halo I would be amazed.

Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By Artie

This isn't a true RTS game.

Most RTS games require resource management (there isn't any in CIv Rev). Also RTS have real time combat, as in you have to select and tell guys where to move on the fly, there's no "turns." So maybe you like the game because it's really "easy" (no offense) and you have a lot of time to think about what to do, or explore what you COULD do, before doing it.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Arkthemaniac

RTS means "Real Time Strategy". Nothing in Civ is real time.

If you like it, get Civ 4. Revolution is the poor man's Civ.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By TheJollyRajah

Ahh, Civ Rev isn't the poor man's Civ!!! It's an awesome game, and it costs more than the outdated PC ones.

Anyways, seriously, if anyone has this on the PS3, send me an invite, and I'll play.

Immunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Immunity

I had a lot more fun playing Civ Rev than I did playing Civ 4. It really is a great game so there's no reason why you shouldn't like it.

poopoohgoboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By poopoohgoboom

RTS = Real Time Strategy (Red Alert, Starcraft, Warcraft, Age of Empires)
    Civ Rev = Turn Based Strategy

I've only played Civ 2 and never really got into it after that. But playing the demo has changed my mind. I'm getting it tomorrow so I can challenge my friend in it.

MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MisterSpiffy
    whackmypinata said:
    "First off, I have never played an RTS game seriously before. A couple friends got into it, so I decided to give it a shot. Now I love this game. Is it because this game itself is amazing, or is it because its a good RTS game? If I had played a good RTS before, would I have felt the same playing this one? I'm sure if I had never played a FPS before and played Halo I would be amazed.
    "
    I think you should give some RTS's on the PC a shot and see how you like them.  Note that Civ4 is actually a TBS, as others have said, but some of the mechanics would be the same.  If you decide to look for some RTS's, I recommend Age of Empires 2, Age of Mythology, or Dawn of War.
    TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By TheJollyRajah
    poopoohgoboom said:
    "RTS = Real Time Strategy (Red Alert, Starcraft, Warcraft, Age of Empires)
    Civ Rev = Turn Based Strategy

I've only played Civ 2 and never really got into it after that. But playing the demo has changed my mind. I'm getting it tomorrow so I can challenge my friend in it."
    TWO MONTHS!...........................................TWOOOOO........MONTHS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    A perfect example of thread-necromancy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, I still play this game on a daily basis. This game is ultra addictive. They're also releasing downloadable content on October 30 (they have some add-ons right now) and a patch wil be released within a week which will fix numerous bugs and exploits. 

And by the way, I've started playing the PC version a few moths ago, and I still don't find them as good as Revolution. Revolution may be a bit simplified but it's also much more multiplayer friendly.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Welcome to the world of Sid Meier, dude. He's quite an awesome guy. I'd strongly recommend Sid Meier's Pirates. You can download it as an Xbox Original on the 360. Anyway, I actually just rented this game and have just gotten done beating it for the second time (yeah, on the easiest difficulty, but now that I know how it works I'm gonna bump up the difficulty level). Oh, okay, I guess this thread is two months old. Super!

MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MisterSpiffy

I don't really think that it's that much of an issue when it's a game-specific thread.  I mean, people searching for the game will stumble across this sooner or later, so they might have similar questions or discussions.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.