Empires of the Smoky Skies: A sign of things to come?

#1 Posted by BoG (5187 posts) -

I recently purchased Gods & Kings, and it's consumed about 48 hours over the past week. I love it. I spent almost my entire day playing Empires of the Smoky Skies twice, and it's got my head churning. First of all, I think that steampunk is awesome, and we need more of it in all forms of media. It's a welcome diversion in Civilization V. I enjoyed the civilizations, characters, units, and other little things created for the scenario (all this aside from the small gameplay changes made specifically for the scenario).

I, personally, would love it if Firaxis expanded upon the scenario, perhaps creating a new IP. They're currently working on a new X-COM game, so perhaps once that's done they can make a steampunk strategy game, building off of what we saw in G&K.

What are your thoughts on this? Is it possible? Or am I just dreaming?

#2 Posted by Grimhild (723 posts) -

I think there's definitely a market for it. The great thing about Steampunk is that the setting itself is extremely flexible, and can be very diverse as far as the general mood and aesthetics go. It can be completely whimsical and fun or totally abhorrent, like science gone off the rails in a more crude, retro-tech fashion than genetics or cybernetics. It's also something that doesn't have to beat you over the head with it's presence constantly to be effective as long as it supplements the plot or gameplay (see: the Thief franchise). Also, anything that has a sort of alternate twist on Baroque and/or Victorian settings already has my vote.

#3 Posted by sickVisionz (1268 posts) -

It probably doesn't need to be a separate IP. They could just make expansion packs based solely around it.

#4 Posted by druid42 (17 posts) -

I just finished my second play through of the scenario, and while I appreciated how quickly the pace went, I was ultimately left wanting a lot more. I remember reading that the Steampunk in he expansion were just going to be a scenario, but even then I held out hope that somebody would use the assets to make a mod where you can either play as one of those Steampunk civs in a regular campaign or even extend the premise of the scenario. So far, I haven't found a mod that does that.

#5 Posted by Wuddel (2082 posts) -

Doubt this will get featured on a new game. This is stuff for modders. I'd rather see them make another alpha centauri etc.

@druid42: I think there is a mod out there where you can at least use the landships.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.