Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sid Meier's Civilization V: Gods & Kings

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Jun 19, 2012

The first expansion pack for Sid Meier's Civilization V adds religion and espionage along with expanded diplomacy options and additional content.

Will Gods and Kings make you play again?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#2  Edited By MuttersomeTaxicab

My fiancee and I have put a stupendous amount of time into Civ V. It's been a blast. Super excited for Gods and Kings.

Towers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Towers

Definitely stoked. I hope my gear on D3 sells so I can afford the new Xpac. :D

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By AndrewB

Yup. I've been playing in anticipation.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Ravenlight

Nah. I was big into Civ V about a year ago but I burned myself out on it. I may jump back in when Gods and Kings inevitably goes on sale. Thanks, Steam!

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#6  Edited By galiant

@MuttersomeTaxicab said:

My fiancee and I have put a stupendous amount of time into Civ V. It's been a blast. Super excited for Gods and Kings.

Hell yes, my situation exactly! Who would've thought my fiancée's interest in The Sims translated so well onto Civ V!

Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By Dustpan

Yeah, already pre-purchased it on Steam. Started playing Civ5 after not touching the game in over a year.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@AndrewB

Yup. I've been playing in anticipation.

Same.

I've been playing a long game on a map of Westeros. I built Rome near White Harbor and have been struggling to drive my enemies from the North. I need to get a hold of the Neck, and build my own Fort Cailan.
    Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Phatmac

I recently bought it on steam so I'm interested. I don't have a lot of cash at the moment so I'll wait for this dlc to get on sale so I can buy it. I'm in no rush.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

Of course. Didn't realize it was optional.

I saw it at PAX East and I was blown away by how much they've added.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Superkenon

@Brodehouse said:

Same.
    I've been playing a long game on a map of Westeros. I built Rome near White Harbor and have been struggling to drive my enemies from the North. I need to get a hold of the Neck, and build my own Fort Cailan.

!!!

Also been playing lately, with some of the posse. Adun is still beating me to pyramids without fail.

God, this game. Simultaneously the best and worst thing that can happen to me on Sundays.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#12  Edited By StarvingGamer

Yep, the only reason I ever stopped is because other, shinier games came out. Once the expansion drops tomorrow, Civ V will once again be the shiniest game in my collection.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By sickVisionz

I've been playing on and off ever since Civ5 came out and am looking forward to the expansion. I'm upset that you probably can't flip a city purely off of culture alone (my favorite way of getting global domination) but everything else seems cool. It's minor, but I think I'm most excited that you might be able to upgrade crossbowmen into ranged units.

Cyrus_Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Cyrus_Saren

I still want to play just good ol' Civ V first. Sadly, I lack money and have resorted to playing Civilization IV since it's free on Gamefly.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By musubi

I am awaiting the quicklook as I'm actually still in the dark as to what this expansion actually even adds.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AndrewB

@Cyrus_Saren: Civ V has been on sale for $7.50 and the complete pack for $12.50. You should definitely get it the next time it pops up that cheap.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MikkaQ

I never stopped in the first place, so I'm pretty pumped. But... sadly it'll have to wait cause I'm pretty goddamned broke right now.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By SteamPunkJin

Still playing the base game, but since I nabbed it on the cheap I can't bring myself to pay double for the expansion. C'mon Steam sale!!!

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#19  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Never stopped. I'm definitely picking it up.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By RVonE

Yes. I've been meaning to return to Civ for some time now and this expansion provides the perfect opportunity to do just that.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By ThePickle

Absolutely. I'm getting a slammin' new PC in a few days and Gods and Kings will be my first game on it. Also, I've only stopped playing Civ 5 because I've started playing Civ 4.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mandude

I will make the Celts the rightful rulers of the world!

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By konig_kei

I have had civ 5 sitting in my steam list all ready to be played but I'm too afraid it's gonna suck me in and all my time will disappear in the blink of an eye.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By project343

Never stopped. Will probably grab it if it goes on sale for this summer's Steam sale. :D

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By ThePickle

@konig_kei said:

I have had civ 5 sitting in my steam list all ready to be played but I'm too afraid it's gonna suck me in and all my time will disappear in the blink of an eye.

Do not be afraid. Brace it. It's worth the insane amount of time you'll sink in it.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By benspyda

Nope, I've spent like 2 hours total in the game. More content is not something I need. However by reminding me that I need to play more of it maybe it has, I just won't be buying the expansion till its super cheap on steam.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By MezZa

I haven't really stopped playing it to begin with, but this expansion will cause me to play it more in the upcoming weeks.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MrKlorox

Not applicable. 

Only madmen have completely cashed the base game and DLCs. Civilization is a game that normal people play in random spurts when they get the itch. So no, this new expansion won't have any impact on my Civilization playtime because content was never an issue. Having said that, I'll probably pick it up the first time it goes on Sale and will play it whenever I feel like it.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Does anyone know any videos that details what the expansion will add? I understand religion but I would like it to go more in-depth.

Also, what will happen to in progress games?

Saseav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Saseav

@NekuSakuraba: I can give a brief rundown from my playthrough if you'd like. basically you want to get the 10-15 faith points fast its a first come first serve bonus i think. there's 3 stages to religion, first is the pantheon, then the establishment and then an enhancement thing. first stage you get one bonus, every stage after 2. usually from the same list at least for the ones following the first. after you get to establish a baase pantheon you have to accumulate 200 faith points or more for the great prophet. at this point you can choose a religion/rename it. at this point civ is played as it usually is with the exception that every (starting at)200 faith points you can buy a missionary/inquisitor or wait for a prophet. Many of the bonuses are based on how many you can convert so, you need to keep on that. At some point around mid game if you've been converting as many as you can/upgrading your religion you unlock a great person as a buyable unit(i think it has to do with a culture unlock as well, having finished certain trees, i want to say tradtion,rationalism,commerce,honor) via faith points but like everything else with faith points price increases (great person increases by 500 point cost after buying them i believe, great prophets goes if i remember 1000,1200,1300, 1700,2000, etc.) anyhow it seemed to follow my playstyle and unlocked great engineers(id gone down tradition and chose a bonus which gave me +15% productivity on ancient/classical wonders) for me to buy later Merchants because i suppose id completed Mercantilism/passed a threshold. at least its what i noticed. spying is also just sending spies from a list to other places. you don't realy have to touch that since it does the rigging elections/notifying you of moving armies and steals tech automatically.

AI wise, they seem to be a lot more backstabbing in even prince difficulty, an example from my game is spain/washinton attacking me because i was busy finishing arabia. However Washinton instead went and attacked spains undefended capital forcing spain who would have taken my cities to retreat. Barbarians are a lot more common, they spawn a lot, i felt that you cant leave your capital alone too much even at the beginning because barbarians would screw you otherwise.

well thats all i can remember off the top of my head.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AndrewB

This is why I needed the expansion.

No Caption Provided

PS: It says "install" because I took the screenshot on my Mac, where I don't have it currently installed.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @StarvingGamer

Yep, the only reason I ever stopped is because other, shinier games came out. Once the expansion drops tomorrow, Civ V will once again be the shiniest game in my collection.

Just how shiny sir? How shiny?
    Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Arabes

@Cyrus_Saren said:

I still want to play just good ol' Civ V first. Sadly, I lack money and have resorted to playing Civilization IV since it's free on Gamefly.

Stick with Civ IV, it 's a better game, especially if you get the "beyond the sword" expansion. Espionage is really good and the diplomacy makes sense, even the AI is alright for a civ game. Civ V, meh. The hexes are cool and the combat's more interesting for sure, but the lack of depth in diplomatic options is terrible, you can't even see why people are pissed at you and they change their fucking mind for no reason. Also the AI is terrible even for a civ game :) I've played all of them and 4 was definitely the best and also had much better expansions, Gods and Kings seems weak from everything I've read. Civ VI should keep the hexes and one unit per tile but they need to invest more deeply in the game.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Wuddel

1000h in steam tell me I never lost interest

polydeukes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By polydeukes

@Arabes said:

@Cyrus_Saren said:

Stick with Civ IV, it 's a better game, especially if you get the "beyond the sword" expansion. Espionage is really good and the diplomacy makes sense, even the AI is alright for a civ game. Civ V, meh. The hexes are cool and the combat's more interesting for sure, but the lack of depth in diplomatic options is terrible, you can't even see why people are pissed at you and they change their fucking mind for no reason.

FYI, you can see why opponents feel the way they do through that Diplomacy side bar (NOT the overview window). You just mouse over that civ's relations status (FRIENDLY/GUARDED/etc).

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By Nentisys

Nope. Endless Space dunked my interest in civ.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Just a question, what does other cities having my religion do and once it's their main religion, does converting more of their citizens do anything?

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jrinswand

I've never played any of the Civilization games. I have felt guilty for years because I'm a PC gamer but don't play any strategy games, the PC's bread and butter. I'd really like to play Civ 5 but I won't have the money for a long time.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The espionage goes a long way to keeping the world in some sort of balance. I'm 210 turns in, I have 46 techs, Caesar has 45, and two others have 44. Maybe that's my fault for not stomping them earlier, but it's definitely a bit more realistic (no riflemen and tanks blowing up crossbowmen).

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Wuddel

@Brodehouse: I always hated this in Civ4 (there in the form of the AI furiously trading techs). It makes a heavy tech strategy obsolete. But on Immortal and up it happened in vanilla anyway.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@Wuddel said:

@Brodehouse: I always hated this in Civ4 (there in the form of the AI furiously trading techs). It makes a heavy tech strategy obsolete. But on Immortal and up it happened in vanilla anyway.

If you want to go for a tech win, maybe focusing on a small empire and keep spies stationed there and sending the rest to get technology?

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AndrewB

@NekuSakuraba said:

Just a question, what does other cities having my religion do and once it's their main religion, does converting more of their citizens do anything?

You get a bonus of your choice for cities where yours is the most influential, plus a bonus that applies to both your civilization and theirs. There's a pretty long list of stuff to choose from, but it all boils down to more gold, more gold per turn, more culture, more religion, more influence with City-States, more happiness, etc. It basically enhances your path to any of the win conditions.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@AndrewB said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

You get a bonus of your choice for cities where yours is the most influential, plus a bonus that applies to both your civilization and theirs. There's a pretty long list of stuff to choose from, but it all boils down to more gold, more gold per turn, more culture, more religion, more influence with City-States, more happiness, etc. It basically enhances your path to any of the win conditions.

Why would I want to help my enemy by giving them more gold, culture etc?

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By AndrewB

@NekuSakuraba: Because the bonus you choose affects you and you get another bonus as well. Cities under your religion only benefit from one of those, and the choice of what that is is yours to make. You can choose something that won't be so helpful to the civilizations surrounding you, but will be immensely helpful to you. You could also always choose to not spread your religion to enemies and focus on your own empire.

There's no actual religious victory condition, but religion can enhance everything else.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Started it up, but it's just no fun when you're not hotseating. My girl is on a trip for a week more, then we'll hopefully start playing again! Best "co-op" game ever.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Wuddel

While I agree that it makes science a corollary practice, I do find it keeps the games at least somewhat interesting. Every game of Civ5 I've played up until now has a clear winner by the industrial era, and then it's just busy work of getting to a win condition. The exciting part was always the struggle to get ahead, but securing dominance was pretty simple. The other thing is it'll make it less irritating when you fall behind if you can actually catch back up and take the lead. The nature of exponential growth says if you start in first place, you'll finish in first place.

And the more real thing is that technology travels, it's the production capacity and the economics that really determine who rules the world. Any of us can look on the Internet and find how to build a gun or a rocket; but we're not about to finance our own private military complex.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.