75% off purchase - and free to play - until Monday on Steam!

#1 Edited by ashleychittock (136 posts) -

Yes! I played the demo of this back in February and loved it but decided not to play the game of russian roulette that is buying stuff at full price on Steam. Now it's free to play for a weekend plus you can get the GOTY edition for only £7.50 (and I assume whatever that works out to in dollars).

Right in the middle of uni exams though, oh my life.

#2 Edited by ShaggE (6348 posts) -

Just once I'd love for this to happen when I actually have money. If I had a penny for every major Steam sale I missed out on, I'd have... a few pennies.

#3 Posted by Marcsman (3125 posts) -

Damn I wish this would come to the consoles.

#4 Edited by Lagaroth (169 posts) -

It is $7.49 for the normal, $12.49 for Game of the Year. All of the DLC is also 75% off.

I love how in the game industry $7.50 = £7.50

Edit: Oh, and 'free weekend' ends on Sunday at 1PM Pacific. So not really a weekend but Thursday-Sunday afternoon. 

#5 Posted by Marz (5646 posts) -

is any of the DLC any good? i used to play Civ 5 a ton at launch.

#6 Posted by Jazz2 (151 posts) -

Well, there goes my weekend :)

#7 Posted by EndlessObsidian (473 posts) -

Civ 5 is such a good game and well worth the full price let alone a 75% off deal. A must have pc game in my opinion.

#8 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

@Marz said:

The new expansion that is coming out soon is supposed to be (adds religion and tons of new stuff), everything else was just new civs.

#9 Posted by bwheeeler (423 posts) -

@mosdl said:

@Marz said:

The new expansion that is coming out soon is supposed to be (adds religion and tons of new stuff), everything else was just new civs.

Nothing worth getting, then?

#10 Posted by Zor (654 posts) -

@bwheeeler said:

@mosdl said:

@Marz said:

Yeah, i would like to know too, if the added dlc (since it isn't all of it either) is worth the 5 extra dollars.

#11 Edited by AndrewB (7512 posts) -

@bwheeeler said:

@mosdl said:

@Marz said:

New Civs are only worth getting if you've exhausted all the current content. They can alter the way you play the game with their different bonuses, which is cool, but either wait for a sale on the DLC (just realized the DLC *is* on sale alongside the main game right now) or wait for the expansion.

All of the DLC civs *are* kind of nifty, like Spain focusing on finding and settling cities near natural wonders, the Incans getting bonuses for building on mountainous tiles, or Polynesia getting to explore the seas from the very start of the game.

#12 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

More civs are always great, five bucks is probably worth it.

#13 Posted by Strife777 (1504 posts) -

Buy that shit!

#14 Posted by theoldhouse (439 posts) -

Man I need the expansion now. Cannot wait any longer!

This is a total steal.

#15 Posted by Svenzon (718 posts) -

That is a great deal, really great! I only ever played one session of Civ 5, but on the other hand it lasted for 25 hours. Will probably reinstall it and actually finish the game someday.

#16 Posted by AndrewB (7512 posts) -

So Gods and Kings doesn't come with any of the current DLC, does it? Because if not, I might pick up the only Civ I haven't bought yet.

#17 Posted by Doctorchimp (4069 posts) -

I'm in the middle of building a brand new video editing/gaming PC. And once I get it started I have 2 projects and Diablo 3 to play, but fuck it I'm buying Civ 5 for 12 dollars to play god knows when.

#18 Posted by Ninja_Welshman (481 posts) -

Bought this for my mac last year in one of the steam sales. Great game. The "matches" can last forever!! Never

#19 Posted by Ninja_Welshman (481 posts) -

cont.... played the multiplayer but I can imagine that being cool.

#20 Posted by Capum15 (4822 posts) -

I grabbed pretty much everything Civ V on Steam for...$14.50? a while ago (So I don't think that recent pack was in it yet). I'd definitely say it's worth it.

#21 Posted by ashleychittock (136 posts) -

Man, I made a critical mistake of turning Civ 5 on at 11pm last night. Four hours later and I'm only 70 turns in. Slightly false information to name the speediest mode "quick".

#22 Posted by crusader8463 (14415 posts) -

@AndrewB said:

@bwheeeler said:

@mosdl said:

@Marz said:

New Civs are only worth getting if you've exhausted all the current content. They can alter the way you play the game with their different bonuses, which is cool, but either wait for a sale on the DLC (just realized the DLC *is* on sale alongside the main game right now) or wait for the expansion.

All of the DLC civs *are* kind of nifty, like Spain focusing on finding and settling cities near natural wonders, the Incans getting bonuses for building on mountainous tiles, or Polynesia getting to explore the seas from the very start of the game.

I put off buying them because I found it insulting what they were charging for such little content. Eventually they had a sale on all of them and I picked up all the Civs for around $10. If you can get that I think it's much easier to justify it if you think of it as a $10 add on pack, but if they are still asking full price then don't buy them. They don't add anything to the game other then a couple of them being very over powered compared to the buffs the folks in the base game get.

The expansion looks neat, but from what I have read about it I feel that it's best to wait for it to be on sale for $15-$20. Not sure what they are launching it as, but it doesn't feel like they are adding much. Especially if you are the type to play online with people, as you can not use the spy aspect of that expansion online. Which really blows.

#23 Posted by tds418 (190 posts) -

Just wait until you start playing on Marathon :D

Not adding much? I don't know, religion + espionage seem like game changing mechanics that will definitely have a huge impact on my strategies.

Anyway this game is worth the full price so anyone who doesn't have it should be jumping at this opportunity. If anyone ever wants to get a group of bombers together for an online match I would be down.

#24 Posted by Superkenon (1397 posts) -

I was already planning to get Civ V, so I couldn't say no to this deal.

#25 Posted by yoshisaur (2665 posts) -

@ShaggE said:

Just once I'd love for this to happen when I actually have money. If I had a penny for every major Steam sale I missed out on, I'd have... a few pennies.

#26 Posted by super2j (1654 posts) -

@Svenzon: i know where ur coming from. i finally worked up the courage to try online. but i cant find people to play with. i hoped this sale would bring in a whole bunch of players (not that i had any experience to compare to).

#27 Posted by Vextroid (1362 posts) -

Right as I'm broke dammit, right as I'm broke.

#28 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I wish I hadn't tried this out, I think I'm addicted. My first experience with a Civilization game and I'm having a blast.

#29 Posted by tds418 (190 posts) -

I lost last summer to Civ, essentially. Sitting around 150 hours played on Steam.

#30 Posted by buft (3303 posts) -

haveny played since 2, grabbed this over the weekend, no chance to try it yet since diablo fever but just watched the quick look and im psyched

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.