Am I playing the game the wrong way?

#1 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

So I am playing Civ 5 on Beginner to begin with and I feel like I am playing the wrong way. All I am doing is spamming units and attacking other civs with no trade route going and have all my workers set on automatic. Now while I am having fun I feel like I am playing it in the wrong way buy just killing everything. 

What do you guys think? 

Also, how do you build boats? I have the research done but I see no units that are boats.

#2 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

There should be naval units available if you make your city next to the ocean. Also, all units can go on water once you unlock "embark".

#3 Posted by Dork_Metamorphosis (251 posts) -

That's precisely the right way to play Civ 5.  This installment of Civ is heavily focused on combat.  Be ruthless and have fun.  

#4 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

There is no wrong way to take over the world. 

I do it through economy.  Hit me up on steam and we'll play.  :)

#5 Posted by plop1920 (448 posts) -

Sounds like a totally legit way to play civ, thats exactly what  I did my first game :P

#6 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -
@plop1920 said:
" Sounds like a totally legit way to play civ, thats exactly what  I did my first game :P "
So as I play more and bump up the difficulty, the game will become more strategic?
#7 Posted by Dork_Metamorphosis (251 posts) -

#8 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -
@Dork_Metamorphosis: Haha, nice. 
@KaosAngel: Sure! How does multiplayer work? I suppose it is just like single player? In that case, would it be all war or some peace?
#9 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba: Yeah, pretty much the same as single...but some humans are dicks and some aren't.  Depends on if it's full PCs or PCs with some NPCs, etc.  You can play with a timer too, so turns don't take forever.
#10 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba said:
" @plop1920 said:
" Sounds like a totally legit way to play civ, thats exactly what  I did my first game :P "
So as I play more and bump up the difficulty, the game will become more strategic? "
Yup, the first 2 levels are really to get a grip on the game. 
#11 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -
@KaosAngel: Okay, we shall play! I hope you don't mind playing with a newbie, I suppose you don't since you read my post but still offered. xD
#12 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba: ...dude I'm fucking noob.  I'm on the same boat as you, I got it last week.  :|
#13 Edited by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -
@KaosAngel: Then it shall be a fair game! VIVA LA CIVILIZATION V!!!  

EDIT: Oh, and I just added you on Steam.
#14 Posted by MB (12044 posts) -

I'm on my second game, in 1050 AD, and haven't built a single military unit yet....I still have my original warrior unit and that's it. I'm concentrating on culture and economics and buying the allegiance of city-states. I just finished researching Chivalry and am about to go into Banking which will seriously increase my gold output. Eventually, when I have enough allies, I'll try declaring war on an isolated Civilization and let all of those allies I've been buying off all these years do the fighting for me.

I played my first game as an aggressor, essentially cranking out as many military units as I could and then trying to annex every city-state I could find. I'm going a different direction this time, I'm finding it to be more fun, but maybe that's just because I'm starting to understand the game more. 

#15 Posted by plop1920 (448 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba said:
" @plop1920 said:
So as I play more and bump up the difficulty, the game will become more strategic? "
Yes, but you can still play like that, other civ's just wont be pushovers is all
#16 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

Civ is like life, theres no wrong way to play it at all. Sure just killing everything isn't elegant and there are more ways to win, but past civ leaders like Vlad the impaler wasn't exactly known for being the best diplomat. Finally, get off easy mode, thats like a reviewer saying they thought the AI was dumb, after playing the game on easy. 

#17 Posted by Addfwyn (1917 posts) -

Generally in Civ, I prefer to play peacefully (Cultural or scientific) but that's really hard to do in Civ5.  Playing militarily seems to be where the focus of the game is, as they are very proud of their new combat system (which IS a lot of fun).  So they wanted to make sure you got to see it by making sure every civ declares war on you.  It's the most straightforward victory by far. 

But you can do the more peaceful paths too, just expect that you WILL have to fight.  

@MB: As soon as you declare war on that person, expect everyone to hate you.  I've tried to buy off other civs too, and they all inevitably declare war on me, even though I am giving them tons of shit.  

#18 Posted by Kindrik (71 posts) -
@MB said:
"Eventually, when I have enough allies, I'll try declaring war on an isolated Civilization and let all of those allies I've been buying off all these years do the fighting for me."
In my experience the city states are terrible as war-time allies. Aside from the militaristic states giving you the occasional unit, they'll rarely go on the offensive during wars.
#19 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -
@KaosAngel: You ready?
#20 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I want this game, but I have other games that need my attention. Shit, I want this game.

#21 Posted by Milkman (16540 posts) -

If you're having fun, then no one can tell you that you're playing the game "wrong".  

But I will say that that is not the way I play AT ALL.

#22 Posted by MB (12044 posts) -
@Kindrik said:
" @MB said:
"Eventually, when I have enough allies, I'll try declaring war on an isolated Civilization and let all of those allies I've been buying off all these years do the fighting for me."
In my experience the city states are terrible as war-time allies. Aside from the militaristic states giving you the occasional unit, they'll rarely go on the offensive during wars. "
Yeah...I just had Japan surrounded by four allied city-states, declared war, and all that happened was that units that happened to be too close to a Japanese city started fighting. The rest just stood around. Eventually Japan killed off the stragglers and offered up a peace treaty. I took it since I had no military of my own. 

I'm not sure what I'm going to do now. I'll probably tech up to the point where I can start building an advanced mechanized infantry and then start destroying other civs one by one, if the game lasts that long. Oh well. 
#23 Posted by crusader8463 (14415 posts) -
@MB said:
" @Kindrik said:
" @MB said:
In my experience the city states are terrible as war-time allies. Aside from the militaristic states giving you the occasional unit, they'll rarely go on the offensive during wars. "
Yeah...I just had Japan surrounded by four allied city-states, declared war, and all that happened was that units that happened to be too close to a Japanese city started fighting. The rest just stood around. Eventually Japan killed off the stragglers and offered up a peace treaty. I took it since I had no military of my own.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do now. I'll probably tech up to the point where I can start building an advanced mechanized infantry and then start destroying other civs one by one, if the game lasts that long. Oh well.  "
That's what's ruining this game for me in the long run. No matter how I try to play the game it always comes around to war. Even on games when I set out to be nothing but friendly to everyone they always start bitching about something, then a few turns later it's war and I have to start building an army or die.
#24 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -
@crusader8463 said:
" @MB said:
" @Kindrik said:
" @MB said:
Yeah...I just had Japan surrounded by four allied city-states, declared war, and all that happened was that units that happened to be too close to a Japanese city started fighting. The rest just stood around. Eventually Japan killed off the stragglers and offered up a peace treaty. I took it since I had no military of my own.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do now. I'll probably tech up to the point where I can start building an advanced mechanized infantry and then start destroying other civs one by one, if the game lasts that long. Oh well.  "
That's what's ruining this game for me in the long run. No matter how I try to play the game it always comes around to war. Even on games when I set out to be nothing but friendly to everyone they always start bitching about something, then a few turns later it's war and I have to start building an army or die. "
So it's realistic then? Ho ho ho!
#25 Posted by SSully (4129 posts) -
@TheMustacheHero said:
" @crusader8463 said:
" @MB said:
" @Kindrik said:
" @MB said:
That's what's ruining this game for me in the long run. No matter how I try to play the game it always comes around to war. Even on games when I set out to be nothing but friendly to everyone they always start bitching about something, then a few turns later it's war and I have to start building an army or die. "
So it's realistic then? Ho ho ho! "
How is that realistic?? Many countries remain peaceful in our world. I was trying to play peacefully and Gandhi declared war and defeated me, FRIGGEN GANDHI! I did nothing to him. Needless to say i started a new game and as soon as i found the tree hugging freak i kicked his teeth in.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.