Auto Workers

#1 Posted by Hooded (435 posts) -

If I Auto my workers to make improvements will they do wasteful things? Like build over something because they have nothing else to do. I ask because I have a ton of workers and I auto'd them all. I wanted to build a few Forts around my boarders to build a better defence where the enemies kept invading me so I asigned them to do so, then after I auto them again, I swear  they built over them and removed them for some farms or something, I know the forts may not of been the best thing there, but it was helping me a some.

So do they build over something thats already built? And is it worth me micro managing my workers to be most benificial?

#2 Posted by Addfwyn (1914 posts) -

Yes, they'll build over your own improvements, though you can change a number in a file to prevent them from doing that. 

I micro my workers cause I am never pleased with the automation.  I was playing Iroquois for one game, and my workers started tearing down all my forests, rendering my trait kinda useless.

#3 Posted by Hooded (435 posts) -
@Addfwyn said:
" Yes, they'll build over your own improvements, though you can change a number in a file to prevent them from doing that.  I micro my workers cause I am never pleased with the automation.  I was playing Iroquois for one game, and my workers started tearing down all my forests, rendering my trait kinda useless. "
Wow, that sucks. I'll try to keep an eye on my Workers and make them do what I wanna in future. I cant have them messing my game up.
#4 Posted by Binman88 (3679 posts) -

I don't think I'll ever set them to auto again. So much more control when you tell them what to do manually. Also I'm finding you don't need too many workers even with a large network of cities, so it's not even hard to manage them. My Egyptian empire of about 8 cities on one side of the map did fine with about 4 or 5 workers, with some of them doing nothing for some turns because there were no available tiles for them to improve.

#5 Posted by Shirogane (3560 posts) -

Workers also do stupid things, like walk/sail off to some random spot they didn't need to go, just to get killed.
#6 Posted by Addfwyn (1914 posts) -
@Binman88: Yeah same, I start with a pretty heavy saturation of workers earlier on, to establish trade networks and get improvements on all the tiles (a few a build, a lot more I get off barbarians or ruins) and scale it back as the game gets later.  Eventually you reach a point where you only need a few workers in order to work new tiles that you acquire, and they otherwise can stay idle.  So then I just delete a bunch of workers and keep a few to work new tiles (either from conquest or culture) and connect new cities as I get them.
#7 Edited by Osaladin (2503 posts) -

I would set them off of auto, but I usually have so many military forces to worry about, that the game will probably get 2 times longer for me if I micro every one of my workers.

#8 Posted by Wuddel (2057 posts) -

Micro them. Seriously.

#9 Posted by StartAndPause (115 posts) -

I usually set them to auto when it comes time to build roads or if I'm at war and they usually do ok but yeah for forts and stuff it's gonna be a micro job!

#10 Posted by threeve (199 posts) -

Haven't played Civ V but in Civ IV I always controlled all of my workers manually until I ran out of things for them to do, at which point I would usually set to "build trade network" rather than "automate".  In Civ IV there is an option also to disallow workers from building over improvements.  Anyway, the computer really doesn't know what's best for you, as illustrated by the above comment about the Iriquois.

#11 Posted by Hooded (435 posts) -
@Binman88 said:
" I don't think I'll ever set them to auto again. So much more control when you tell them what to do manually. Also I'm finding you don't need too many workers even with a large network of cities, so it's not even hard to manage them. My Egyptian empire of about 8 cities on one side of the map did fine with about 4 or 5 workers, with some of them doing nothing for some turns because there were no available tiles for them to improve. "
I have loads of workers in the game i'm playing at the moment. Its a pain because not only did it take time and gold to build the unit, they do stupid stuff and they also cost per turn (i think) which hurts my gold game. I'll post later on how many workers i have. 

Thanks for the tips guys.
#12 Posted by FirePrince (1762 posts) -
@Wuddel said:
"Micro them. Seriously. "

This.
#13 Posted by Mesklinite (803 posts) -

I find that auto gave me the impression that I needed a bunch of workers. Not the case, maybe 1 per city? And I manually control them.
#14 Posted by mason (254 posts) -

I don't like customizing AI. I really didn't like programming my AI companions in Final Fantasy 12, nor Dragon Age, so I'd micro them. 

But in Civilization V, I'd prefer to just let workers automate, but I have to keep an eye on them. They'll fuck the whole thing up if left to their own devices. 

I wish there was an easily available system of checkboxes that allowed me to tweak my workers behavior. Things like "Don't replace forts", "Don't cut down forests", "don't swap one improvement for another unless directed to". If it could differentiate between manual improvements and automated ones, I would set it to only change ones that were placed automatically. 

But I can't customize, so I set them on auto and constantly cancel their actions when they do wrong. The problem is that this usually means wasting their move for that turn or sending them back to another area. I haven't found the perfect balance of micro & auto just yet.

#15 Posted by Rehehelly (414 posts) -

Start of the game I auto them, then when all the tiles near a city have improvements, I manually control them. Fuckers make my cities starve.

#16 Posted by brandt (66 posts) -
@Rehehelly said:
"Fuckers make my cities starve. "
This happened to me too. So, I've built 5 cities, and I'm concentrating on building an army for expanding some and I go back to look at my capital and realize ALL my farms have been turned into trade posts.  
City produced 2 food and 17 gold. Well, shit, that's really what I wanted since half my tiles are not being worked. Made me quit the game and go on the forums to rant about it, hence this.

Workers need patching, until then, it's micro all the way.
#17 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

I want to manually do everything, but as a Civ noob...do you guys recommend someone like me do it?

#18 Posted by Binman88 (3679 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" I want to manually do everything, but as a Civ noob...do you guys recommend someone like me do it? "
Yes. I'm also new to the series, but was able to find my way to victory on King difficulty, having manually ordered all my workers from start to finish. The game generally provides you with recommendations for what you should build on each tile anyway - just make sure you have enough food generated in your city by building enough farms (at least +1 food to keep your city growing - you can see how much is being produced by clicking on the city's name), otherwise your city will stagnate or starve and start losing citizens (the invisible people who actually work the improvements your workers build - you can allocate your available citizens manually too in the event that you have a greater number of improved tiles compared to your citizen count, and you wish to change up that particular city's output).
#19 Posted by subyman (561 posts) -

You have to micro them.  I had some on auto and they built mines and trade posts over all my farms around one of my cities which caused the city to starve.  They are very stupid.  Too bad you can't set them to auto improve only roads to rails in the middle of the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.