Civilization 5's Mod Tools Are Out On Steam Now

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
2K Games and Firaxis have been talking up mod support for Civilization V since this past summer, and now it's finally time for the series' dedicated and active mod community to test their creative mettle in this latest Civ. The first release of the game's mod tools is now available on Steam for free consumption. To get the release, just navigate to the Tools section of the Steam client and download at will (via Big Download).

In addition to pushing out the tools necessary to muck with the game, 2K has set up a detailed wiki about mods and modding and has also busted out some information on what can be done in this latest Civ as compared to others. For example, you can now combine mods with a cute "enable" button that scans to see if two or more mods can be mixed together. This wasn't possible in Civilization IV, so expect to have an easier time mixing and matching mods this go-around. 
 


As you'll notice in the wiki text, there's one big thing missing from this release: the ability to use mods online. "Multiplayer and modding is something we wanted to take extra time on in order to ensure a stable and fun experience," 2K has written in the wiki.

More support will be coming in the future. 2K has said that it is aware that some stuff isn't working as well as it could, while other things aren't as "extensible" as they could be. Upcoming patches will, however, address all issues.  
 
Don't know what Civ 5 is all about? Check out this Quick Look:  

  
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
2K Games and Firaxis have been talking up mod support for Civilization V since this past summer, and now it's finally time for the series' dedicated and active mod community to test their creative mettle in this latest Civ. The first release of the game's mod tools is now available on Steam for free consumption. To get the release, just navigate to the Tools section of the Steam client and download at will (via Big Download).

In addition to pushing out the tools necessary to muck with the game, 2K has set up a detailed wiki about mods and modding and has also busted out some information on what can be done in this latest Civ as compared to others. For example, you can now combine mods with a cute "enable" button that scans to see if two or more mods can be mixed together. This wasn't possible in Civilization IV, so expect to have an easier time mixing and matching mods this go-around. 
 


As you'll notice in the wiki text, there's one big thing missing from this release: the ability to use mods online. "Multiplayer and modding is something we wanted to take extra time on in order to ensure a stable and fun experience," 2K has written in the wiki.

More support will be coming in the future. 2K has said that it is aware that some stuff isn't working as well as it could, while other things aren't as "extensible" as they could be. Upcoming patches will, however, address all issues.  
 
Don't know what Civ 5 is all about? Check out this Quick Look:  

  
#2 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -

#3 Posted by sixpin (1303 posts) -
@fwylo: lol good stuff
#4 Posted by ThatFrood (3377 posts) -

Sweet maybe now someone can fix the game.

#5 Posted by Raviyn (45 posts) -
@fwylo:
lol best image ever
#6 Posted by FritzDude (2279 posts) -

Your next Brad Nicholson:

 


 

#7 Posted by knownspace (85 posts) -
@fwylo: Mini Patton Oswalt is pleased!
#8 Posted by Jerome85 (258 posts) -
@ThatFrood said:
" Sweet maybe now someone can fix the game. "
exactly.  knowing the mod community they will make this game better than what firaxis shipped.
#9 Posted by Brenderous (1107 posts) -

Does this include Mod Buddy?

#10 Posted by MikkaQ (10335 posts) -

Sounds fun, but I won't be needing mods for a good long while.

#11 Posted by Aaron_G (1617 posts) -

I really need to buy Civ V. 

#12 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

Ryan arrested by FU?! Boooh!

#13 Posted by kratier (223 posts) -

not enough modding in the world will fix the issues this game has, it will take a year + of desconstructing and streamlining the coding process before we see some real improvements made, til then just expect generic shoddy addons

#14 Posted by oliveshark (52 posts) -
@FritzDude: Thank you for this.
#15 Posted by zomgenius (56 posts) -

Dude. Awesome. I haven't played Civ 5 yet, but I really want to.
 
@Jerome85 said:

" @ThatFrood said:
" Sweet maybe now someone can fix the game. "
exactly.  knowing the mod community they will make this game better than what firaxis shipped. "
@kratier said:
" not enough modding in the world will fix the issues this game has, it will take a year + of desconstructing and streamlining the coding process before we see some real improvements made, til then just expect generic shoddy addons "
 
This is the first time I've seen negative comments, though. Was the game really that bad? All I've really heard is how amazing it is.
#16 Posted by cwmartin (5 posts) -

Very nice!

#17 Posted by Rhombus_Of_Terror (2151 posts) -

Awesome, mod maps with heavy resources here I come, just like the old days :D

#18 Posted by kratier (223 posts) -
@zomgenius: 
go to any forum about the game and youll see countless posts about the issues. The AI is just plain broken, people with top of the line hardware cannot even run DX10/11 exe remotely smooth, and the way the turns are handled, "huge" maps are basically impossible to complete if they go into a high amount of turns
#19 Posted by zomgenius (56 posts) -
@kratier: 
Ah, I see. Well, that's pretty disappointing, then. I was thinking about getting it soon, but I may wait a little longer before doing so. Hopefully patches or mods will be able to fix the problems.
 
And now that you mention it, I do remember reading a topic about someone having a bunch of problems with the AI. :/
#20 Posted by nmarchan (175 posts) -

Don't listen to these jokers, the game is great. 
 
Yes there are technical issues, but I've never seen such a nitpicky whiny bunch about the tiniest things like I have with these supposed Civilization fans.  Don't let these people dissuade you from picking the game up.  It's fantastic.

#21 Posted by jangie (1 posts) -

Goodbye, what little life I had...

#22 Posted by bloodsoul5 (193 posts) -
@nmarchan: I'm at a point in my first major playthrough where the game crashes everytime I capture a city. So yea, it is a broken ass game that desperately needs fixing.
#23 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -

The technical issues are mostly overblown, in my opinion. As for the AI ... well, it does sometimes behave a bit strangely. But, then, leaders of countries in the real world do that, too. The game is great, even as it is today.

#24 Posted by bloodsoul5 (193 posts) -
@haggis: The AI gave me about 75% of their cities in order to negotiate peace, even though they were winning the war. The AI is quite broken.
#25 Posted by Vigilance (270 posts) -
@nmarchan:  I agree. This game is amazing.
#26 Posted by Vigilance (270 posts) -
@bloodsoul5 said:
" @haggis: The AI gave me about 75% of their cities in order to negotiate peace, even though they were winning the war. The AI is quite broken. "
 
That particular issue was addressed in the first patch. 
 
No Civ game has shipped perfect, but the game is overall excellent and will be supported post launch.
#27 Posted by nmarchan (175 posts) -
@bloodsoul5 said:
" @haggis: The AI gave me about 75% of their cities in order to negotiate peace, even though they were winning the war. The AI is quite broken. "
How big was their treasury compared to your treasury?  How many citizens did they have?  How many other civs were they hostile to?
#28 Posted by css_switchfoot (119 posts) -

i've been playing since the game came out and i have had absolutely no problems playing the game.  it hasn't even crashed once.  I'm playing on DX11 with no performance issues on the highest settings with an 800 dollar rig and i've had several major playthroughs and i dont see anything wrong with the AI or any performance drops. 
 
as usual its probably a mix of pirates complaining on legit forums about how the game won't run and a select few percentage of people who are unhappy with the game who are doing all the complaining.   

#29 Posted by ThatFrood (3377 posts) -
@css_switchfoot: 
Hey.
I own the game and I can't run it in dx10/11. After 2-3 hours of playing it becomes unplayable, with bizarre brown lines covering the screen. Other times it just crashes. It alt tabs terribly as well.
On top of it, the lack of an option for something other than simultaneous turns, and the unsatisfying diplomacy and ai, make the game feel unpolished in some of the worst places.
 
Don't get me wrong, I love the game. I've played it for probably 20 hours already. I've finished 4 games. But the game isn't better than Civ IV in every way, and has a good number of issues to work out. The improvements made are very nice, but I'd like to see some of the complexity of Civ IV work it's way back into the game for those people who want it.
#30 Posted by Gunharp (337 posts) -
@haggis said:

" The technical issues are mostly overblown, in my opinion. As for the AI ... well, it does sometimes behave a bit strangely. But, then, leaders of countries in the real world do that, too. The game is great, even as it is today. "

I don't believe it is overblown at all.
 
 @nmarchan said:

" Don't listen to these jokers, the game is great.  Yes there are technical issues, but I've never seen such a nitpicky whiny bunch about the tiniest things like I have with these supposed Civilization fans.  Don't let these people dissuade you from picking the game up.  It's fantastic. "

The game is great, but does have a plethora of bugs. The bugs are amplified by the many vocal customers true. But hey I am stopped by a blocking issue, the game is a crash fest for me and that sucks. Most likely will never be able to recover the saves that run into the appcrash error as well, they seem to be corrupted. I have yet to actually complete a game in Civ V : (
 
You have never seen such super nitpicky whiny bunch? I doubt that. Just mosey on over to any comment thread to every trailer posted by GiantBomb.
 
The nitpick is present because Civilization is a pretty advanced strategy game and it has a lot of roots with those hardcore types that will bring out these bugs, who play other titles like Total War, Hearts of Iron etc. I fully expect nitpick, who wouldn't? The history of CIv is full of it.
#31 Posted by NickLott (793 posts) -

Finally I can truly create my Dune: All Spice Wars mod I'd been formulating.

#32 Edited by haggis (1677 posts) -
@Gunharp:  As you say, it's a complicated game. And no matter how many beta testers they had, they're going to run into problems when a million people start playing. I have a circle of about a dozen guys that play the game, most on rigs much better than mine (which barely meets the low-end requirements). None of them have had any issues. The bugs are relatively minor, and do come off as a bit of whining. The DX11 problem doesn't seem to be effecting everyone the same, which means it's likely more difficult to fix. Of course, you can always play DX9 until the next patch comes out. Sure, it won't look as pretty, but it probably won't crash on you.  
 
@css_switchfoot: "as usual its probably a mix of pirates complaining on legit forums about how the game won't run and a select few percentage of people who are unhappy with the game who are doing all the complaining." I had similar thoughts about some of the complaints, though not all. The DX11 bugs seem to be legitimate complaints to some extent, and I had some initial problems as well. But the answer is simple: report the bug, play in DX9 until the patch comes out. It's not difficult.
 
As for the AI "bugs", part of the problem is that we don't always know the full story with the other AI civs, and don't know precisely how they make decisions. The whole "AI is broken" thing usually can simply be translated as "The AI didn't do what I thought it should do." Personally, I hate AIs that don't make mistakes, or whose calculations are always perfect. At least if I'm not on the highest difficulty. I'm finding that the AI behaves very differently for each Civ, and I like its unpredictability.
#33 Posted by sander_dutch (49 posts) -

Loving the game so far.  
It's just so addictive. 
Played one game: 36 hours!

Had one snafu where the game crashed everytime on turn 620, but could continue playing after realizing there is a 69 city cap on huge maps. Just razed a few of my puppet cities a few turns in advance and then could continue playing past turn 620.
Turn 621: Took both Beijing and Paris for the Domination victory.
Warlord, huge map, epic game. Sweet!

#34 Posted by Gunharp (337 posts) -
@haggis said:

" @Gunharp:  As you say, it's a complicated game. And no matter how many beta testers they had, they're going to run into problems when a million people start playing. I have a circle of about a dozen guys that play the game, most on rigs much better than mine (which barely meets the low-end requirements). None of them have had any issues. The bugs are relatively minor, and do come off as a bit of whining. The DX11 problem doesn't seem to be effecting everyone the same, which means it's likely more difficult to fix. Of course, you can always play DX9 until the next patch comes out. Sure, it won't look as pretty, but it probably won't crash on you.  
 
@css_switchfoot: "as usual its probably a mix of pirates complaining on legit forums about how the game won't run and a select few percentage of people who are unhappy with the game who are doing all the complaining." I had similar thoughts about some of the complaints, though not all. The DX11 bugs seem to be legitimate complaints to some extent, and I had some initial problems as well. But the answer is simple: report the bug, play in DX9 until the patch comes out. It's not difficult.  As for the AI "bugs", part of the problem is that we don't always know the full story with the other AI civs, and don't know precisely how they make decisions. The whole "AI is broken" thing usually can simply be translated as "The AI didn't do what I thought it should do." Personally, I hate AIs that don't make mistakes, or whose calculations are always perfect. At least if I'm not on the highest difficulty. I'm finding that the AI behaves very differently for each Civ, and I like its unpredictability. "

The game works for you which is awesome, in fact it works great for a great many and I understand that. But hey bugs exist,  just because you don't run into any doesn't mean they don't exist or can only be 'minor'.  Also your assumptions about pirates causing ruckus, select percentages, and how DX11 bugs seem legitimate is plain assumption, you can't spit that text out like it is factual info.
 
You also state the problems are easily fixed by playing in DX9. Well they are not, I have the exact same crashing issues in DX9, 100% repro. Anyways I just downloaded the new patch so lets hope I don't have to wait any longer for a fix. Lastly I don't mean to cause heated argument. I work in QA/Testing and I just fucking hate to come home to this kind of shit.
#35 Posted by Capum15 (4966 posts) -
@FritzDude said:
"

Your next Brad Nicholson:


 

"
Awesome.
#36 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -
@Gunharp:  "Also your assumptions about pirates causing ruckus, select percentages, and how DX11 bugs seem legitimate is plain assumption, you can't spit that text out like it is factual info." 
 
I'm saying complaints about DX11 are legitimate. What's your problem? And as for the pirate comment, all I said was that the thought had occurred to me that this might be the case. I'm not making any factual claims, only saying that some of the complaints I've seen suggested that might be a possibility. Again, what's your problem?
 
"Well they are not, I have the exact same crashing issues in DX9, 100% repro."
 
And since I've heard precisely zero complaints about DX9 crashing until now, I suspect the problem is with your computer and not the game. Have you updated your drivers? Is DX installed correctly? Have you tried tracking down any potential software conflicts? In my mind, any bug that is not universal is pretty minor. Usually that means specific conflicts with a specific combination of hardware and software. A major bug would effect everyone, such as a specific feature failure. So, unless a lot of people are complaining about DX9 failures as well, then it's likely to be a problem with your specific setup.
#37 Posted by SuicidalSnowman (396 posts) -
@fwylo: Well played, good sir.
#38 Posted by Rhombus_Of_Terror (2151 posts) -
@haggis said:
"As for the AI ... well, it does sometimes behave a bit strangely. But, then, leaders of countries in the real world do that, too."
That's a lovely analogy. Gandhi is still a dick though, he tried to start a war with me because I refused to share borders then he raged and went to war with 4 of his neighbours. Seriously.
#39 Edited by Gunharp (337 posts) -

@haggis said:

" @Gunharp: "Also your assumptions about pirates causing ruckus, select percentages, and how DX11 bugs seem legitimate is plain assumption, you can't spit that text out like it is factual info."

I'm saying complaints about DX11 are legitimate. What's your problem? And as for the pirate comment, all I said was that the thought had occurred to me that this might be the case. I'm not making any factual claims, only saying that some of the complaints I've seen suggested that might be a possibility. Again, what's your problem?

Alright sorry for the misunderstanding the language such as "seems" in front of "legitimate" makes it read as skeptical. As in you did not believe there were legitimate complaints.

@haggis said:

And since I've heard precisely zero complaints about DX9 crashing until now, I suspect the problem is with your computer and not the game. Have you updated your drivers? Is DX installed correctly? Have you tried tracking down any potential software conflicts? In my mind, any bug that is not universal is pretty minor. Usually that means specific conflicts with a specific combination of hardware and software. A major bug would effect everyone, such as a specific feature failure. So, unless a lot of people are complaining about DX9 failures as well, then it's likely to be a problem with your specific setup. "

I am not using this thread to ask for help. I have contacted support and have followed the troubleshooting guides posted on the Firaxis support board and on the Steam Forum Civ V series section. Yes drivers are updated, DX installed correctly etc.

Oh and that line about what is a universal bug is just plain dumb.

#40 Posted by k4el (120 posts) -
@haggis said: 
And since I've heard precisely zero complaints about DX9 crashing until now, I suspect the problem is with your computer and not the game. Have you updated your drivers? Is DX installed correctly? Have you tried tracking down any potential software conflicts? In my mind, any bug that is not universal is pretty minor. Usually that means specific conflicts with a specific combination of hardware and software. A major bug would effect everyone, such as a specific feature failure. So, unless a lot of people are complaining about DX9 failures as well, then it's likely to be a problem with your specific setup. "
 
 
Oooookay... i'm going to take some troll bait here because this is just too ridiculous to ignore. Haggis by your definition of a minor bug all the Halo: Reach customers who can't play fire fight on their Flash memory Xbox 360 Slims are experiencing  a Minor bug. 
 
So i'm going to go ahead and call that a poor definition of minor. The reality is, if money changes hands and the customer can not for ANY reason experience everything they've paid for that will never ever be "minor".  Also to politely and rationally complain about an issue you've discovered is never "whiny" you as a customer are not unreasonable to expect everything you've paid for.
#41 Posted by Nathed (9 posts) -

Any idea how much control modders will be able to exert over Civ V?  Specifically, to what degree can they actually improve/modify the AI? Because that shit needs some major overhauling.

#42 Posted by Erupit (1 posts) -

Ok, I know I sound like a total idiot... but I can't get this to work. Once I create a map, how in the blazes do I actually PLAY on that map once I'm in-game? I've tried all sorts of save folders... I've decided to suck it up, look like a dumba**, and ask a forum. help?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.