Civilization V... charity donation?

#1 Posted by ThatFrood (3375 posts) -

Accepted terms of use, verified my steam files, installed diretctx (for like the millionth goddamn time goddamnit steam!)
Started booting up Civ V and a window pops up saying that 2k is giving 250,000 dollars to four different charities, and you vote which one you want more of the money to go towards.

It wasn't something that was even advertised. Civilization V is already sure to be an incredibly successful game, but Firaxis and 2k felt like doing this anyway... I dunno, just kind of touching to me.

#2 Posted by AlisterCat (5520 posts) -

I think it says so on the Steam page. It sure is nice of them. It's not like they needed to boost their companies image or anything, like Activision.

#3 Posted by Wuddel (2082 posts) -

Well. They announced it on their website, but did not promote it much further.

#4 Posted by Sanity (1896 posts) -

Yea, it was up on the page where you buy the game on steam. Really nice of them to do.

#5 Edited by ThatFrood (3375 posts) -

Right, I mean, no fanfare, no trumpets and snare drum.
Just, hey you guys, we're gonna give money to charity, thanks for buying our game and making that possible.

#6 Posted by InsanePenguin (18 posts) -

I swear I thought I was going to come in here and you were going to be asking for someone to gift you Civ V on Steam, lol. Very classy of 2K, though, yeah.

#7 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

WHY WOULD I WANNA GIVE MONEY TO A CHARITY!

#8 Posted by Red12b (9084 posts) -
@ThatFrood:  
It's on the back of the box, and yeah they have said it a couple of times,  
It's still cool though. 
#9 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -

Its BS, I want to vote for an animal charity.
#10 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

A lot of advertised charity work is also a PR mechanism. It brings in good publicity, so not it's not free to them.

If they were genuine about giving to charity, completely altrusitically, then give in secret. No need to advertise it.

#11 Edited by IrishCoffee (111 posts) -

I have to say, I did NOT see this anywhere when I bought the game so when it showed up on the load screen it made me feel really great about my purchase. Regardless of it being completely altruistic or not, it was still a VERY awesome thing to do. I would like to see more game companies do this because aside from the good nature towards your fellow man part of it, it also gives games as a whole a good image, and we REALLY need as many brownie points as we can get. 

@ sins_of_mosin Yes god forbid we try to help children in Africa get an education so they can try to end the cycle of pain and hatred that plagues most parts of their country. I wanna make sure Mr. Snufflebottom get's a good home! I love Dogs, alot, but if it came down to it I will always choose humans first.

#12 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

Makes me want to buy the game.

#13 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -
@scarace360 said:
" WHY WOULD I WANNA GIVE MONEY TO A CHARITY! "
What does God need with a starship?
#14 Posted by Cretaceous_Bob (506 posts) -
@FourWude: I really don't think they're getting a quarter of a million dollars worth of advertising out of this charity thing, dude. And clearly it isn't very good advertising if the people who actually follow the game don't know about it.  

And did it ever occur to you that maybe more money ends up in charities because of advertising potential? Surely you can't be stupid enough to believe that exactly the same amount of corporate donations to charities would happen if they couldn't advertise it.   

2K is a great company that provides a ton of good entertainment and is giving 250,000 to charity. I don't see what's to get cynical about.
#15 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -
@Cretaceous_Bob said:
" @FourWude: I really don't think they're getting a quarter of a million dollars worth of advertising out of this charity thing, dude. And clearly it isn't very good advertising if the people who actually follow the game don't know about it.  

And did it ever occur to you that maybe more money ends up in charities because of advertising potential? Surely you can't be stupid enough to believe that exactly the same amount of corporate donations to charities would happen if they couldn't advertise it.   

2K is a great company that provides a ton of good entertainment and is giving 250,000 to charity. I don't see what's to get cynical about. "
Plenty of companies give money without advertising about it. And I have no qualms about advertising the fact you're gicing money, just don't make it out to be some sincere altruistic sentiment.

And you'd be absolutely astonished at just how much advertising costs. The advertising from good PR off this charity work is worth far more than $250,000, and they KNOW it. They know the act would be voluntarily advertised around the Internet and gain media attention, it's what they wanted in the first place.  What bothers me is when people start praising these companies on intentions they NEVER had.

They're a business first and foremost and if using charity work to expand their profile and image is good for them, then fine. Just don't make it out to be anything other than what it is.
#16 Posted by Cretaceous_Bob (506 posts) -
@FourWude said: 
Plenty of companies give money without advertising about it. And I have no qualms about advertising the fact you're gicing money, just don't make it out to be some sincere altruistic sentiment.  And you'd be absolutely astonished at just how much advertising costs. The advertising from good PR off this charity work is worth far more than $250,000, and they KNOW it. They know the act would be voluntarily advertised around the Internet and gain media attention, it's what they wanted in the first place.  What bothers me is when people start praising these companies on intentions they NEVER had.  They're a business first and foremost and if using charity work to expand their profile and image is good for them, then fine. Just don't make it out to be anything other than what it is. "
You're not listening to me. I'm saying stop waving your dick about some meaningless measure of altruism. $250,000 to charity is $250,000 to charity. And its hard to see your PR argument holding any water; if it's so cost-effective, why don't we see this more often? Why doesn't this happen, oh, for every game? Because every game pays for conventional PR. And that's the point here. Instead of paying $250,000 to some PR firm, 2K gave it to charity. If that gets them the PR they wanted, good.  

Nobody's forgotten they're a company. Nobody's talking about how genuinely altruistic and saintly 2K is. You just wanted to wave your poor person dick around, and you did that. But what's only been said is that it was "nice", and it is that.
#17 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -
@Cretaceous_Bob said:
" @FourWude said: 
Plenty of companies give money without advertising about it. And I have no qualms about advertising the fact you're gicing money, just don't make it out to be some sincere altruistic sentiment.  And you'd be absolutely astonished at just how much advertising costs. The advertising from good PR off this charity work is worth far more than $250,000, and they KNOW it. They know the act would be voluntarily advertised around the Internet and gain media attention, it's what they wanted in the first place.  What bothers me is when people start praising these companies on intentions they NEVER had.  They're a business first and foremost and if using charity work to expand their profile and image is good for them, then fine. Just don't make it out to be anything other than what it is. "
You're not listening to me. I'm saying stop waving your dick about some meaningless measure of altruism. $250,000 to charity is $250,000 to charity. And its hard to see your PR argument holding any water; if it's so cost-effective, why don't we see this more often? Why doesn't this happen, oh, for every game? Because every game pays for conventional PR. And that's the point here. Instead of paying $250,000 to some PR firm, 2K gave it to charity. If that gets them the PR they wanted, good.   Nobody's forgotten they're a company. Nobody's talking about how genuinely altruistic and saintly 2K is. You just wanted to wave your poor person dick around, and you did that. But what's only been said is that it was "nice", and it is that. "
I never once said that giving $250,000 to charity was bad. I never once said that Firaxis should do otherwise. All I said, which is the abolsute norm in these types of threads, is that the REASON they've done it is for PR purposes. And it happens on a frequent basis/ So when companies do these sort of things you need not over indulge in how "GREAT" they are. And by the way, your defending of Firaxis makes you look like some corporatist twat in bed with them.
#18 Edited by Cybexx (1162 posts) -

Well I'm not going to say that the Charity had nothing to do with a PR move, I will say that they are not doing much work to advertise this fact. It instead comes off as a nice gesture and I doubt it will sway many people who were not already going to buy the game at some point. At most it may sway some people to buy it sooner before the charity poll ends but that is about it.  

This is not Farmville where they are continually posting about it and sending out press releases and pasting it anywhere they possibly can in the game, that is obviously super PR driven and they are going to make much more money because of it. There has been almost no PR work apart from the little bit of text on the Steam page that you could and probably will miss. It is not posted across the Civ V ad on the Steam front page, its not a sticker on the box, it comes off in much better light because of it.

#19 Posted by Branthog (7458 posts) -
@scarace360 said:
" WHY WOULD I WANNA GIVE MONEY TO A CHARITY! "
You're not. Firaxis is. You're voting for what charity it should go to.

It's too bad they weren't interesting charities, like Child's Play or the EFF or something.
#20 Posted by vogon (96 posts) -
@Branthog said:

"It's too bad they weren't interesting charities, like Child's Play or the EFF or something. "

not singling you out but... 

Firaxis/2K's chosen charities may be less sexy than Child's Play or the EFF or a chapter of the ASPCA, but they're: 

- giving people in South Africa and East Asia access to resources to help them become literate (http://www.roomtoread.org/
- helping Americans get college scholarships (http://scholarshipamerica.org/
- building schools in Africa (http://www.schoolsforafrica.co.uk/
- and helping girls in Pakistan and Afghanistan become educated (https://www.ikat.org/). 

Child's Play and the EFF do great work, but honestly, I think these sorts of charities make a bigger difference in the world than giving another $250,000 to Child's Play would.   to be blunt, there are people on Earth who have bigger problems than "my constitutional right to jailbreak my cell phone isn't assured" and "sick children do not have video games to play in hospitals that are perfectly capable of providing them with modern health care."
#21 Edited by Branthog (7458 posts) -
@vogon said:

" @Branthog said:

"It's too bad they weren't interesting charities, like Child's Play or the EFF or something. "

not singling you out but... 

Firaxis/2K's chosen charities may be less sexy than Child's Play or the EFF or a chapter of the ASPCA, but they're: 

- giving people in South Africa and East Asia access to resources to help them become literate ( http://www.roomtoread.org/
- helping Americans get college scholarships ( http://scholarshipamerica.org/
- building schools in Africa ( http://www.schoolsforafrica.co.uk/
- and helping girls in Pakistan and Afghanistan become educated ( https://www.ikat.org/).  Child's Play and the EFF do great work, but honestly, I think these sorts of charities make a bigger difference in the world than giving another $250,000 to Child's Play would.   to be blunt, there are people on Earth who have bigger problems than "my constitutional right to jailbreak my cell phone isn't assured" and "sick children do not have video games to play in hospitals that are perfectly capable of providing them with modern health care." "
Frankly, I think they just went for "the safe bet" when choosing charities. Something that nobody could rightly take issue with (my aunt spent twenty years in Kenya and Mocha, Zambia teaching at and running a nursing school). Frankly, I think they could have made a bigger difference in the world giving $250,000 to a charity that helps people in most of these same places have clean drinking water. What good is being able to read, if you can't even drink without being infested with some sort of liver-destroying colony of worms?

Charity is charity, so it's all great. But what an odd selection they gave. Especially considering their audience. They basically said "would you like bread or bread? Or maybe bread or bread or even bread? Or you could try some lovely bread. Or even tonight's special -- bread."
#22 Posted by eccentrix (1539 posts) -

I didn't get a vote when I started it up.

#23 Posted by eroticfishcake (7783 posts) -
@eccentrix said:
" I didn't get a vote when I started it up. "
Same here. I bought the game retail but I don't think that makes any difference since it mentions the charity thing on the box.
#24 Posted by Shirogane (3566 posts) -

Yeah, i didn't get the option. Probably not available in my region. As it does say, not available in all regions.
#25 Posted by vogon (96 posts) -
@Branthog said:
"Frankly, I think they just went for "the safe bet" when choosing charities. Something that nobody could rightly take issue with (my aunt spent twenty years in Kenya and Mocha, Zambia teaching at and running a nursing school). Frankly, I think they could have made a bigger difference in the world giving $250,000 to a charity that helps people in most of these same places have clean drinking water. What good is being able to read, if you can't even drink without being infested with some sort of liver-destroying colony of worms?  Charity is charity, so it's all great. But what an odd selection they gave. Especially considering their audience. They basically said "would you like bread or bread? Or maybe bread or bread or even bread? Or you could try some lovely bread. Or even tonight's special -- bread."

yeah, there are definitely more-interesting charities out there that still do fundamental work, like the thousands of charities that build wells.  (my personal favorite charity is Doctors Without Borders.)

but I can't really begrudge Firaxis their choice of theme.
#26 Posted by Bravestar (379 posts) -
@Branthog said:
What good is being able to read, if you can't even drink without being infested with some sort of liver-destroying colony of worms?
Yeah, but clean water isn't as interesting as giving kids videogames, right?
#27 Edited by Meteora (5787 posts) -

I like how people get all controversial about a freaking charity. Christ, what's wrong with you people?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.