Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sid Meier's Civilization V

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 21, 2010

Civilization V brings brand new gameplay elements to this beloved franchise, while maintaining the "just one more turn" mentality.

Hesitant about buying this game

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Kazona

I bought Rome: Total War. Kind of liked it, but got bored with it quickly, and never finished it. Same goes for Medieval II: Total War. After that, I gave up on strategy games until Starcraft 2 came out. Bought into the hype, bought it, and regretted it ever since. I absolutely suck at it. 

Now, after reading all the praise this Civilization V has been getting, I'm once again considering giving the strategy genre a try. Even after playing the demo, however, I still can't decide if I should throw down the money for it.  

So now I turn to you, fellow gamers, to help me make this decision. Or rather, I'm curious to see if anyone can convince me that this game is different enough from my past strategy experiences that it warrants the purchase. 

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Addfwyn

It's different than SC2, which is more about the competitive nature of RTS gaming.  A large portion of Civ5 is about the single player experience, and it's as customizable in difficulty as you'd like it to be. 

Pros: 
    + Great Combat system, most improved of the series 
    + Addictive gameplay that will have you playing 'one more turn' for ages. 
    + Crack for history junkies 
    + Many different effective ways to play, not just conquering everyone.  
    + True Start Locations mod is great.

Cons: 
    -Diplomacy is gimped right now, don't expect any meaningful diplomatic encounters in this game. 
    -War is a necessity, even if you aren't going for a military victory, the AI WILL declare war on you.  It is just bloodthirsty like that. 
    -Will ruin life, marriage, relationships, children, ongoing drug addictions, studies, and your SC2 game.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By MikkaQ

The first reply's got a point, I've actually put off going for smokes because I just want to do "one more turn". This game is TOO addictive, to the point where I've purchased the iPhone and iPad civ games so I can play when I'm not near a computer. I put off basic tasks like feeding or clothing myself to play one more turn. It's just that awesome. 

But I'd reccoment only if you have a decent PC, in the late game things choke up quite a bit with all the decision making the AI's gotta do, and all the on-screen stuff happening at once. 

Oh and watch out for India, me and Ghandi have been in perpetual war for 200 years. We're stalemating, he's got waaaay more infantry, and I've got waaaaay more boats, so he can't get into my island-chain, but I can push inward mainland where my boats can't bombard their cities, leaving my weak infantry to die. Poor Brussels in smack dab on the border between us, and has switched hands many times. Maybe I'll just liberate them to fuck with Ghandi some more. 

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Jimbo

I suspect you will have a similar experience to Total War tbh.  The games have very similar rhythms:  typically a strong start, followed by the mid-game hump, followed by you absolutely steamrolling the AI.

eldiax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By eldiax

Civ 5 has no RTS, everything is turn-based. So you might like it!

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Osaladin

There are only 2 reasons for anyone not to buy this game: 

1. Your computer can't run it. 
    2. Your time is too valuable to be wasting it all on Civ 5.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Kazona
    @Jimbo: Yea, that's kind of what I'm worried about. But is it just me, or do far more people seem to really be "addicted" to this game than there were with the total war series?
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By KaosAngel

It's great for single player, shit for online right now.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By TheMustacheHero

It's not an RTS so there's no APM koreans raping you online.

Infact just play single player because Online is lame unless you're playing a private game. If you want to play multiplayer do it on a LAN.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jimbo
    @Kazona said:
    " @Jimbo: Yea, that's kind of what I'm worried about. But is it just me, or do far more people seem to really be "addicted" to this game than there were with the total war series? "
    It's a lot easier to get into that groove where you just keep playing with Civ, because it doesn't get broken up by load screens & battles - there's no obvious stopping point.
    KaiPain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KaiPain

I find that this game is great fun as long as you have some intuitive of how to play RTS games, its definately now one of my favorite games after playing for a few hours and getting used to how to play it as i start to come up with plans of what i should do to whin, i definately recommend it. :) GG HB

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By captain_clayman

just buy it.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By endaround

Get the demo.  It will give you a feel for how it plays.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@XII_Sniper said:
     Oh and watch out for India, me and Ghandi have been in perpetual war for 200 years.
    Oh god that sounds so awesome, but i tried a CIV game before got scared of all the info presented on the screen and never played it again. :)
    Teaspoon83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Teaspoon83

Played the demo and enjoyed it but part of me wonders is it worth really grabbing when I picked up Civ 4 for $5. I'll wait till it goes on sale.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MikkaQ
    @Resident4t: I was totally the same way, but Civ V seems to make it a lot easier to digest. I suggest trying the demo, you might just be converted. 
    regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By regularassmilk
    @Kazona said:
    " I bought Rome: Total War. Kind of liked it, but got bored with it quickly, and never finished it. Same goes for Medieval II: Total War. After that, I gave up on strategy games until Starcraft 2 came out. Bought into the hype, bought it, and regretted it ever since. I absolutely suck at it.  Now, after reading all the praise this Civilization V has been getting, I'm once again considering giving the strategy genre a try. Even after playing the demo, however, I still can't decide if I should throw down the money for it.   So now I turn to you, fellow gamers, to help me make this decision. Or rather, I'm curious to see if anyone can convince me that this game is different enough from my past strategy experiences that it warrants the purchase.  "
    Buy it if you have time. That motherfucker, is a timesuck from beyond time and space.
    KingTut91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By KingTut91

First play the demo it's pretty much 100 turns of a basic civ V game. If you like that then look at how much time you have in reality. Civ will consume as much time as it can so if you don't have much time to play videogames it's not a instabuy. However I would say that Civ V is definitely the right game to buy if you want a good introduction to the franchise and a great gaming experience.  I ended up not buying SC2 because I wanted this, if that means anything to you.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Kazona

Been playing the game, and loving it. I have a lot to learn as a newbie though, so I've restarted several times.

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By Brenderous

I'm not big into RTS, but Civilization V rocks my world.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Wuddel

You sir, owe it to yourself to by this game. Absolutely every gamer should in their live experience Civilization. The concept is of timeless beauty. 

Civ vs. RTS = Apple vs. Oranges

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.