How do you activate/play with mods?

#1 Posted by Fallen189 (4988 posts) -

Hi, 
I've started playing Civ5 a lot lately, and I'm a bit confused as to how you actually enable mods, as the game is very unclear on how it works, especially now that steam workshop has annoyingly taken things over. I've "Subscribed" to the mods (As workshop has no "Download" button) and in the "Mods" window, it shows them as enabled, but I can't seem to actually activate or use them in custom single player games. I've ticked them to enable them, but things like custom civs, and custom maps are just nowhere to be found. 

Thanks in advance

#2 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

@Fallen189: It is a little bit confusing. Once you subscribe in the workshop, the game takes care of downloading/updating mods. Skyrim for example does it on startup.

In Civ 5 you have to go to the mods area in the game in the main menu (under multiplayer) and that should download the mods. You then have to activate it as well.

#3 Posted by Fallen189 (4988 posts) -
@mosdl said:

@Fallen189: It is a little bit confusing. Once you subscribe in the workshop, the game takes care of downloading/updating mods. Skyrim for example does it on startup.

In Civ 5 you have to go to the mods area in the game in the main menu (under multiplayer) and that should download the mods. You then have to activate it as well.

Yeah I did that, but I can't seem to find any of my custom civs or mods. It's not very well presented
#4 Posted by Wuddel (2092 posts) -

You have to start the game through the Mods option in the main menu. Mods->Select/enable mods->click "NEXT"->shows you a list of the enabled mods then you click on "Single Player" in that window and set up your game.

#5 Posted by Fallen189 (4988 posts) -
@Wuddel said:

You have to start the game through the Mods option in the main menu. Mods->Select/enable mods->click "NEXT"->shows you a list of the enabled mods then you click on "Single Player" in that window and set up your game.

Thanks bud!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.