Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sid Meier's Civilization V

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 21, 2010

Civilization V brings brand new gameplay elements to this beloved franchise, while maintaining the "just one more turn" mentality.

How many of you rushed straight to nuclear missiles? (Pic!)

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By mike

I'm pretty late in the game, having played mostly diplomatically which I'm finding doesn't really work due to crappy city-state AI. Anyway, I just teched up to advanced nuclear missiles and I'll soon have nuclear submarines. The only real civilization that is giving me any problems is the Germans. Bismarck did some early aggressive expanding and now controls almost all of Europe and Asia(I'm playing with the True Start Locations on a realistic Earth map). I have most of Africa and Oceaniavand almost every city-state is allied with me. Anyway, I don't have much of a military and Germany keeps declaring war against me and then offering up peace treaties, then repeating. I'm thinking of parking a few nuclear submarines loaded with ICBM's off of his coastlines and then turning most of his land into glass, but I have a feeling this will only damage his cities temporarily and won't lead to anything good. 

So, what experience do you have with nukes in Civ 5? I just tested out an ICBM, and I was surprised to see that you can target the ground with this weapon even if it's in your own territory. Here's a pic of me nuking one of my little islands off the coast of Australia. The blast radius was so large, it damaged a nearby French territory and sunk a German ship that was several tiles away.  

ICBM
    ICBM
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By wefwefasdf

This game sounds so epic. I might have to pick it up soon. :D

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By rjayb89

Ah yes, my first nuke.  It wasn't the first thing I went for in my first game, I really wanted to build a space ship and see if I can go to space (sadly, you can't).  But with my first nuke, I was hoping I could just select it and target a far-off city I wanted to destroy and be done with it, but obviously it wasn't that easy.  I didn't want to rebase it to another city since I was on a continent dominated (I was playing an archipelago (?) map) by my civilization, so I just had it blast into a nearby island, too, so I can see the explosion.  No casualties.

I'm not one to make war with other civilizations unless they're really, really asking for it as I'm much more content with cultural and scientific victories.

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By BunkerBuster

"Nuclear Launch Detected - Launch Detected - Launch Detected!"
     I hope all that fucking Gold you wont give up will keep you cool in hell!

Seriously though, I can never get that far in the tech tree without controlling every country anyway so it never matters.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mike
    @BunkerBuster I haven't really been building up a military this time around, initially concentrating on a strong economy and now focusing on research. I don't think I'm going to win this one unless I can nuke Germany into defeat. Oh, and I haven't even been over to North America where it looks like Washington Is quietly controlling the entire continent.

I feel like I'm sitting in third place right now, probably no way out of that at this point.
    Mechanical_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Mechanical_Ape

I have only used the nuke once so far, and it was more of an afterthought than any sort of planned event. I was doing a Domination game on one of the bigger maps. By the time I got down to the last city on the map, my nuke was only two turns from finishing, so I decided to just wait and use it. I was disappointed though, since it didn't destroy the city. I still had to go send some troops to finish the job.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mike
    @Mechanical_Ape yeah, that is lame...an advanced nuke should make even a capital city and anything within two or three tiles of it just disappear and scorch the earth there permanently. Oh well, maybe there will be a nuke mod soon.
    BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BunkerBuster
    @MB: I'm almost 100 percent sure that you can win if you research every tech and max it out. As long as there isn't a country (Germany) that can destroy you until then you should be fine.
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By rjayb89

Science victory - assemble all 6 space ship parts
    Cultural " - build Utopia Project
    Domination victory - defeat all other civilizations
    Diplomatic victory - receive the majority of votes after United Nations is built

Research every tech earns you an achievement, I believe.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By Addfwyn

I have yet to use a nuke, I will once just for the achievement. 

Most of the time (unless I am going for a science victory) I win well before nukes become researchable.  The only time I'd probably actually use one is a military victory, and I find those tend to end LONG before nukes come into play.  When I am going for science, all my resources are dedicated towards progressing the tech tree, so I don't have the units or the unit production to really make nukes.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Wuddel

In domination mode I usually do a lot of fighting in the classical era, then nothing until "late renaissance" (riflemen). I do not know why. Combat is much more balanced between the ages now. Wars in medieval Civ 4 were annoying. That is not true in Civ 5. I really liked my Samurai^^ Maybe you get a lot of new buildings to build in that era.  I usually have defeated all enemies possible capable of making nukes by the time they come available. I tend not to build them. I like my wars down and dirty. I love the gunships. They can take cities now!

I once nuked Tokyo and then finished it of with a Giant Death Robot, after a diplomatic victory for fun/achievement.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By shirogane
    @Wuddel said:
    "In domination mode I usually do a lot of fighting in the classical era, then nothing until "late renaissance" (riflemen). I do not know why. Combat is much more balanced between the ages now. Wars in medieval Civ 4 were annoying. That is not true in Civ 5. I really liked my Samurai^^ Maybe you get a lot of new buildings to build in that era.  I usually have defeated all enemies possible capable of making nukes by the time they come available. I tend not to build them. I like my wars down and dirty. I love the gunships. They can take cities now! I once nuked Tokyo and then finished it of with a Giant Death Robot, after a diplomatic victory for fun/achievement. "

Nuking Tokyo, then finishing it off with a Giant Death Robot? Am i the only one who sees something very...ironic here?
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13  Edited By KaosAngel

...for as much as I love nukes, I sadly haven't used a single one yet.  I'm a disappointment to Americans everywhere.  :(

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Wuddel

I love that they are not really intercontinental missiles are anymore so you have to bring them on a carrier or a nuclear sub. 

*humming the russian national anthem renaming his sub "Red October"*

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By babblinmule

The first time i used a nuke was when i was playing as Japan and nuked New York. Then i noticed the irony and admittedly let out a chuckle.

Majoring in Japanese history has apparently turned me into a sick, sick man....

(Should note that i was playing for a domination victory and the USA happened to be the final nation left alive - so it was all purely coincidental)

Rehehelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Rehehelly

What's the range on ICBMs?

I raped everything with heli gunships and tanks, so didn't have a need for nukes (plus my pop was very unhappy and I was like -20 per turn in gold).

Paulus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Paulus

So what you're saying is...Intercontinental ballistic missiles...aren't intercontinental? oO

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Red12b
    @MB:  
    Fuck icbm's 

giant death robots, 

GIANT FUCKING DEATH ROBOTS! 
    Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Seedofpower

I haven't gotten civ5 yet though, my experience with nukes in civ4 never out right destroyed a city. It usually reduced its growth by 3-7 points and killed most of the military in there.

Man I need to save up some money and get this.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Wuddel
    @Paulus said:
    " So what you're saying is...Intercontinental ballistic missiles...aren't intercontinental? oO "
    Yes. I guess thats also why the games does not call them that, but simply nuclear missile. The OP only used that name.

In Civ4 there were tactical nukes and ICMBs.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HandsomeDead

Sounds amazing. Wish I could play.

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Malakhii

I haven't used nukes yet, just hasn't worked into my strategy, do they fuck up your shot at a U.N. victory? 

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By Rayeth

Nukes are rad.   I bombed Hiawatha back to the stone age and then razed about 50% of his cities.   Domination victory is so much more fun in Civ V than it was in any of the other Civs.

TorgoGrooves89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TorgoGrooves89

Haven't got to nukes yet but I just about managed to get atom bombs in my last game, and that was awesome. I dropped a couple on the Aztecs and then another on Boston, much to my delight. It's scary how sadistic I've realized i am because of this game. All i want to do is wipe everyone out with as many nukes as possible now, fuck the other victory types. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.