I just relapsed. I seriously need help.

#1 Posted by jerseyscum (875 posts) -

Giant Bombers....I just did something that I regret immensely. Here it goes.....

After two years of sobriety, I'm ashamed to admit that I just bought Civ 5 on Steam. After a terrible binge, I finally had the courage to admit that I had a problem and surrender over to a higher power as I understood Him. With the help of God and Bill W, I got sober. But I just threw it all away after seeing that the new expansion pack was coming out and.....I cracked.

I'll just play a little and I can stop. It's not like I'm playing Alpha Centauri again or anything. I'm in total control.

#2 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

Civ V is great. Keep indulging. There are worse things you could get addicted to. Just don't forget to eat, sleep and feed your kids.

#3 Posted by jerseyscum (875 posts) -

@Galiant said:

Civ V is great. Keep indulging. There are worse things you could get addicted to. Just don't forget to eat, sleep and feed your kids.

They wont let me see my kids anymore.

#4 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

I liked Civ4, and 5. But it was no Alien Crossfire.

#5 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -

I made the same mistake :'(

#6 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

I loved the old civ games, but civ 5 barely got 100h out of me, its realy dumbed down made for new players. I think that you will be fine.

#7 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

@jerseyscum said:

@Galiant said:

Fewer distractions = more Civ V.

#8 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

I've heard enough people talk about Civ V for a while now that I'm close to falling in as well. I'm one of the rare ones that have never played a Civ game.

#9 Posted by AndrewBeardsley (371 posts) -

@jerseyscum said:

@Galiant said:

This made my day. Thank you

#10 Posted by Ninja_Welshman (485 posts) -

Just one turn. Thats all. I'll quit then. Oh Gandhi you treacherous mother f

#11 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

well stop playing it. sorry to read that.

#12 Posted by laserbolts (5322 posts) -

Well at least it isn't heroin or something. You are strong you can overcome this.

#13 Posted by JCTango (1362 posts) -

@jerseyscum: I never played any Civ games before, as I generally don't do too well in turn-based strategy games - after rewatching a bit more of the quicklook GB did after reading your post - looks pretty fun... I can see why people can get addicted to it :).

#14 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I just bought Civ V a few weeks ago. I love it so much :'(

#15 Posted by ShaggE (6453 posts) -

"I'm really hungry, but in two more turns, I can research the wheel... ... ... okay, that's refrigeration researched, on the home stretch now... ... ... yay, I won! Just a couple of post-game turns..." - Me, yesterday.

#16 Edited by CornBREDX (5287 posts) -

This feels like this is the best thing I can post here. Hope you enjoy it:

#17 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

Oh this is bad, you'll be binging on civ 5 and then you'll spiral more and more into this addiction with the new expansion pack. When all is said and done, they will find you naked and dead in a alleyway with 10 copies of civ 5, you are already screwed my friend.

#18 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

You should try booze.

#19 Posted by jakob187 (21671 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

Well at least it isn't heroin or something. You are strong you can overcome this.

Heroin WHILE playing Civilization. Think about it.

#20 Posted by Vinny_Says (5709 posts) -

It's your right as an american to play as much Civ 5 as you want, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

#21 Posted by Raven10 (1790 posts) -

I do the same thing in other TBS games. I have mostly managed to avoid Civ save for the console version they put out. But I play a lot of other turn based strategy games and often find myself thinking it is 8:00 PM when really it is 8:00 AM. Pretty sad. Some turns in these games feel like they only take five minutes when really they take an hour. This is especially true of games with a separate battle component like Total War or the Heroes of Might and Magic games. Recently tried the King Arthur games thanks to the Paradox Steam sale. Other than running like crap and breaking every other turn they are pretty fun. Not as good as Total War but interesting in that they add the RPG element to things.

#22 Posted by Irvandus (2879 posts) -

This is like when I fired up Fallout 3 again last summer, ended up playing through it and all the dlc then New Vegas and all it's dlc. Took me two weeks of cold turkey to stop feeling the need to zoom in on peoples faces while I talked to them.

#23 Posted by Dexter_Morgan_ (314 posts) -
#24 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

You will get bored of it. For me it was when I realized that no matter what I played I won with the same strategy every time, and no matter how hard I tried I kept falling back to the same strategy. When you eliminate any value in the playing as different races aspect of things it all became dull for me.

#25 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4511 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

I've heard enough people talk about Civ V for a while now that I'm close to falling in as well. I'm one of the rare ones that have never played a Civ game.

This. Exactly this.

#26 Posted by lmenzol (271 posts) -

@jerseyscum: sorry friend you are too far gone

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.