Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sid Meier's Civilization V

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 21, 2010

Civilization V brings brand new gameplay elements to this beloved franchise, while maintaining the "just one more turn" mentality.

I'm getting bored of Civ 5 already.

jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By jack_daniels

The games seem to repeat themselves. I keep cranking up the hardness (Im on 6) and it doesnt make the game more fun. Just more of a pain in the ass. I've probably completed maybe 6 long games so far, and I am ready for something kinda different. Really I only go for one victory... I kill everyone, but the others are just building stuff. Isn't that kinda pointless. I think I may be ready to shelve this game. Atleast I got Halo Reach which never gets old, ( I love the new Swat playlist.) Any tips?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Milkman

Go for a different victory type?

jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jack_daniels
    @Milkman:  How is that more fun then killing civilizations?
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Milkman

You'd be surprised. 

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jimbo

The AI lets the game down quite badly.  It just doesn't seem capable of giving the player a challenge from the mid-game onwards.  Not to mention the quite serious and blatant bugs which somehow slipped through the net - I've played through two games and had to use dumb work arounds for otherwise game-breaking bugs in each of them.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Zurv

yeah.. took me a little over a week to get bored. I feel like i got my moneys worth of it tho...
    TheDoorman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheDoorman

Its times like these where I wish I had a pc, Civ 5 looks pretty damn fun and I dont have a pc good enough to run it. fml

Avatar image for relentlessknight
    RelentlessKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#8  Edited By RelentlessKnight

It usually does.. so does every game

rhodric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By rhodric

yes it gets boring fast. civ4 was a lot more fun for me.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By jakob187

Go get some mods!  New maps, new AI types, etc etc.  Try different victory types.  Play some multiplayer.

Civilization games are only as fun as you allow them to be.  Personally, there's nothing more satisfying in a game right now than building a Giant Death Robot!

@Jimbo said:

" The AI lets the game down quite badly.  It just doesn't seem capable of giving the player a challenge from the mid-game onwards.  Not to mention the quite serious and blatant bugs which somehow slipped through the net - I've played through two games and had to use dumb work arounds for otherwise game-breaking bugs in each of them. "

What difficulty are you playing on?  If you are playing on anything less than 5, then yeah...the AI isn't going to be top-of-the-line challenge-inducing craziness.
    gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By gamefreak9

Don't get me wrong, i love CIV as much as the next guy, but just like the 4th one i'm probably going to be fitting in a game per monthish. Starcraft is where i get my strategy fix :P, civ is more of the laid back sit around and and relax game :P. 

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Malakhii
    @jakob187: Exactly what I was thinking, try out the mods, you can find some pretty cool stuff if you look. 
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By DystopiaX
    @TheDoorman said:
    " Its times like these where I wish I had a pc, Civ 5 looks pretty damn fun and I dont have a pc good enough to run it. fml "
    This.
    Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lemoncookie01

you damn PC gamers with ya keyboards and ya cpu's don't know how lucky you guys are.
    *grumbles from behind a 02 laptop*

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By floodiastus
    @jakob187 said:

" Go get some mods!  New maps, new AI types, etc etc.  Try different victory types.  Play some multiplayer.

You are kidding right? Multiplayer is not an option at this point, lags, crashes, no-animations in multi, P2P system that frequently disconnects players, no real save feature, no lobby system, the list goes on and on mate.
    thedukehimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By thedukehimself

This game was great at first. This was my first Civ game and I've played through about 3 full campaigns on increasingly different victories and leaders. The problem is that the game offers very little incentive to play any other way than a militaristic victory. I tried to play through a science and economic victory but found my self simply clicking on the suggest production as the games progressed. There is no micro managing or city building aspects that are rewarding. When I build a coliseum, monument, circus, etc, there is nothing to show for it other than the stat progression. I can't understand how this game has had such appeal over the years. I've only recently been interested in this style of game and can say that Dawn of Discovery is a far more interesting, albeit different, game. While that game has real time elements vs turn based, I feel it is incredibly addicting and serves a similar need to Civ. Not trashing the game; it is beautiful and has an interesting risk-esque board game style to it, but it is far over hyped.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Three0neFive
    @floodiastus said:
    " @jakob187 said:

" Go get some mods!  New maps, new AI types, etc etc.  Try different victory types.  Play some multiplayer.

You are kidding right? Multiplayer is not an option at this point, lags, crashes, no-animations in multi, P2P system that frequently disconnects players, no real save feature, no lobby system, the list goes on and on mate. "
    - Granted I've ponly been playing over LAN with 4 other people, but I really haven't experienced any lag.
    - Ditto on the crashes. Sounds like someone needs to lower their settings.
    - Agreed, not having animations really takes away from the feel of the combat.
    - Can't comment on P2P, but really, if you're going to play a game that can take literally days you should be doing it with someone you trust. Practice safe Civ, kids.
    - A-fucking-greed. Not being able to save is a massive let-down, and my friends and I have actually had to quit a few games because of other commitments. Any word on whether they're going to add this, if at all possible?
    - Lobby system? Like, pre-game lobby? Almost 300% sure there is one.
    Pumpeho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pumpeho

Tried to set the AI to be more aggressive?
    If that aint enough install a mod that causes the AI to build more military stuff ontop of the aggressive AI option. Then kick the difficulty up to immortal or deity. 
     Or you can go merchant and destroy your opponents by giving the city states alot of units. In other words a diplomacy victory.

Honestly, I prefer a cultural/science victory over a military one. More satisfying on the higher difficulties. Surviving and producing enough culture isnt that easy without using cheesy methods like beelining research and shit.

What they forgot to work on was the diplomacy system. Its rubbish.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Aronman789

Play some Hearts of Iron 2, it's a lot more in-depth, there are politics, production, relations, divisions and generals, ect. Plus you can be any country you want.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Wuddel

Well, I feel the same way. Though, Civ is a game you can come back to countless times. I still find it a challenge on difficulty 6. That largely depends on the play style. I usually not have more than like 9 units (max) and still win domination games. I do try to get most wonders though. I only found maximum of 5 cities. So I go more for a cultural victory. 

Try one-city-challenge! I personally will try to move up to deity. Although, that is pretty insane. I can not see anyone winning this on big maps, where the AI has a chance to build/tech up. Get most of the achievements (want to beat the game with every leader), and then wait for total conversions.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Binman88
    @Zurv said:
    " yeah.. took me a little over a week to get bored. I feel like i got my moneys worth of it tho... "
    Same here. I enjoyed it until I felt like I'd seen everything I was ever going to see, which took about 3 or 4 full games. I can't complain about it, because it did equate to around 40 hours of fun.
    floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22  Edited By floodiastus
    @Three0neFive said:
    " @floodiastus said:
    " @jakob187 said:

You are kidding right? Multiplayer is not an option at this point, lags, crashes, no-animations in multi, P2P system that frequently disconnects players, no real save feature, no lobby system, the list goes on and on mate. "
    - Granted I've ponly been playing over LAN with 4 other people, but I really haven't experienced any lag. - Ditto on the crashes. Sounds like someone needs to lower their settings. - Agreed, not having animations really takes away from the feel of the combat. - Can't comment on P2P, but really, if you're going to play a game that can take literally days you should be doing it with someone you trust. Practice safe Civ, kids. - A-fucking-greed. Not being able to save is a massive let-down, and my friends and I have actually had to quit a few games because of other commitments. Any word on whether they're going to add this, if at all possible? - Lobby system? Like, pre-game lobby? Almost 300% sure there is one. "
    Ok, only gonna comment where you disagreed: 
    Crashes, I have no crashes myself but people I play with do and ALOT and they cannot reconnect into the game when they crash sometimes even using steam. 
    Saying P2P works because you play with people you know is just wierd, it does not work, EVEN with people you know, it is as flawed as it P2P was in demigod. 
    By lobbysystem I mean a real lobby, where people can challenge each other to games, setup games and so on, the browse game list is severly flawed, not including pings, what game modes before joining and maxing number of characters in the servername so short that you cannot write what kind of game you are creating. 

and if you have not experienced any lag, that must be because it is not using P2P or the P2P is working better on LAN. There is huge amounts of lag online, so much you start to wonder how it could be laggy, considering it is all TURN BASED!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.