Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sid Meier's Civilization V

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 21, 2010

Civilization V brings brand new gameplay elements to this beloved franchise, while maintaining the "just one more turn" mentality.

Is Civ 5 on steam compatible with non-steam expansions?

Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

I have Civ 5 vanilla on Steam, and am interested in getting Gods and Kings. My question is, if I get a non-steam version through Amazon (which is cheaper right now), will it be compatible? Or do I have to get it on Steam?

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I got Gods and Kings through GreenamnGaming as far as i recall and it was pretty much a steam key. Odds are the cd key will be in box and you can plug that into steam as im sure civ 5 is a steam linked game

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#3  Edited By Kidavenger

I don't think there is such a thing as a non steam version of the game or the expansions, check on amazon to be sure, but I think you'll find in the description that it requires steam activation even though you bought it on amazon.

lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Civilization V and all its expansions use Steamworks. There is no practical difference between buying it on Amazon or buying it on Steam.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.