Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sid Meier's Civilization V

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 21, 2010

Civilization V brings brand new gameplay elements to this beloved franchise, while maintaining the "just one more turn" mentality.

Just one more turn...

hanktherapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Edited By hanktherapper

I respect Sid Meier for what he has done for gaming. But as much as I try, I don't like his games. The first game since Alpha Cintauri and could not grasp the concept. I did not get the Civilization series (tried 2 and 3). I wasn't used to the turn-based game. It's slow-paced and I prefer the action from all the RTSes I've been playing.  I never understood the tech tree or what to do. I know I purchased and played Gettysburg, but I don't remember anything about it except for the characters disappearing when you scrolled side-to-side. I found Pirates to be a bunch of boring mini-games. I played Railroads for a few hours and never went back. The only game I had fun with was Sim Golf, and most people find that to be his worst game. I did learn my lesson and avoided purchasing Civ 4. When Civilization Revolution came out, I downloaded the Xbox360 demo on two different occasions and was promptly reminded of why I avoided the series.

Now at present time everyone is enthusiastically talking about Civ 5. Of course because I feel some imaginary peer pressure to like his games, I download the demo. It won't run on my PC. I really need to upgrade my three-and-a-half year old computer, but don't have the money. You would think I'm safe, but I'm not. Due to listening to a bunch of podcast saying how great the series is how more accessible Revolutions and Civ 5 are, I finally break down and buy Revolutions for the 360. Hey, it's only $20 and if I never get around to playing it it can sit with the other discount games I buy but never play. 

I bought the game Wednesday and decide to play it Friday. If I sit on it, I will most likely never give it a chance. After playing for an hour, the game finally clicks. I get it. I mean I don't get all the strategy and I'm still trying to learn some of the concepts. But for the first time, I'm having fun playing a Civ game. I played for three hours Friday night until I finally forced myself to quit because I had to wake up early for work. One more turn I kept telling myself.

hanktherapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By hanktherapper

I respect Sid Meier for what he has done for gaming. But as much as I try, I don't like his games. The first game since Alpha Cintauri and could not grasp the concept. I did not get the Civilization series (tried 2 and 3). I wasn't used to the turn-based game. It's slow-paced and I prefer the action from all the RTSes I've been playing.  I never understood the tech tree or what to do. I know I purchased and played Gettysburg, but I don't remember anything about it except for the characters disappearing when you scrolled side-to-side. I found Pirates to be a bunch of boring mini-games. I played Railroads for a few hours and never went back. The only game I had fun with was Sim Golf, and most people find that to be his worst game. I did learn my lesson and avoided purchasing Civ 4. When Civilization Revolution came out, I downloaded the Xbox360 demo on two different occasions and was promptly reminded of why I avoided the series.

Now at present time everyone is enthusiastically talking about Civ 5. Of course because I feel some imaginary peer pressure to like his games, I download the demo. It won't run on my PC. I really need to upgrade my three-and-a-half year old computer, but don't have the money. You would think I'm safe, but I'm not. Due to listening to a bunch of podcast saying how great the series is how more accessible Revolutions and Civ 5 are, I finally break down and buy Revolutions for the 360. Hey, it's only $20 and if I never get around to playing it it can sit with the other discount games I buy but never play. 

I bought the game Wednesday and decide to play it Friday. If I sit on it, I will most likely never give it a chance. After playing for an hour, the game finally clicks. I get it. I mean I don't get all the strategy and I'm still trying to learn some of the concepts. But for the first time, I'm having fun playing a Civ game. I played for three hours Friday night until I finally forced myself to quit because I had to wake up early for work. One more turn I kept telling myself.

UnrulyRuffian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By UnrulyRuffian

I felt exactly the same way. I've got friends who are semi-fanatical about Civ IV. I've tried a few times over the past couple of years to get into it - and despite playing for 10-20 hours, it never really hooked me on the same level as it hooked them. 

Civ V is entirely a different beast. It feels entirely more accessible now, and the change from stacking units to only allowing one unit per hex is a genius move. I no longer feel bewildered mid-game by the sheer mass of units and cities that need managing. 

I can honestly see myself playing Civ V for a very long time indeed.

Rehehelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Rehehelly
    @hanktherapper said:
    " I played for three hours Friday night until I finally forced myself to quit because I had to wake up early for work. One more turn I kept telling myself. "
    I've never played Rev, but most of my civ games are continuous gaming sessions of over 6 hours, I remember one night I started at 11pm and finished (unknowingly) at 7am. 

Civ 5 is awesome, better than Civ IV in some aspects (although I still love Civ IV). Feels way more accessible and is far easier to understand all the concepts, after playing a game I understood happiness/culture/science a bit better and now i'm blasting through and not having any negative side effects yet. I shall play it for a long time to come.

NOW UPGRADE YOUR PC!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.