Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sid Meier's Civilization V

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 21, 2010

Civilization V brings brand new gameplay elements to this beloved franchise, while maintaining the "just one more turn" mentality.

Late Game Performance Issues

mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By mzuckerm

I'm loving Civ 5 so far, but I'm wondering if there's any way to boost late game performance.  By the time I hit 1700-1800, it can take a fair amount of time between turns.  I'm pretty sure this was an issue with Civ 4 as well, but I'm wondering if there's something I can do on my end to speed things up.  I don't think it's a problem with the specs on my pc, since it's pretty new and on the higher end. 

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

.....lol. 

Welcome to Civ V.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By FritzDude

Larger cities. More stuff going on each turn because of the growth and the reveal of the map. It's just the game, but you could always play on easy so they don't build that much, or maybe choose a tiny map. 

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By mosdl

They will keep optimizing it as time goes, but that will always be an issue with big maps.  Not sure if more memory even helps.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Donos

For the time between turns late game, I think cpu is the limiting factor. There's just too many calculations to be done.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CenturionCajun

This has been a part of grand strategy games since they were invented. As has been said in the early game there are fewer cities, units, and changes which have been made to the map so the turns zip by. However, as you get into the later game there are so many things happening each turn (units moving, engaging in combat, making changes to the terrain, building improvements to cities, etc.) that the computer has to go through each individual one deciding what it's going to do. So, it can take a hot minute and unless you're rocking a monster CPU you're going to have to wait a few seconds.

As an example of this I can remember playing Star Trek: Birth of the Federation about a decade ago. God I loved that game but when you got into the later years it became almost an unplayable mess. I don't know if it was my computer or the game but turns could literally take minutes. Maybe I'll try and dig it out of whatever box it's in in my garage and see if it'll run faster now...

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#7  Edited By alistercat

To me it just seems like a matter of just how it is, not a performance issue. The game still runs the same but it has more to do. Each AI will have more units to move, cities to build in, population and tech tress to manage etc. I'm sure they can try and optimize it but it doesn't seem like there is that much they can do when as the game goes on the AI has more stuff to do.

mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By mzuckerm
    @CenturionCajun: Bummer.  I don't recall this being an issue for me in Civ, Civ 2 or Civ 3 (the last one I played a lot), but I definitely noticed it in Civ 4.  It was also an issue in Elemental, but I hesitate to compare that piece of crap to Civ 5.  I'm in the late game stages of a match on the largest map size, and it is absolutely soul-crushing.  I don't know the technical limitations involved in this, but it just seems weird that a system that can comfortably run the latest graphics-intensive shooters would have trouble with a game that seems on the surface less demanding.  Obviously, it's not the same thing.  So it goes.
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CenturionCajun

See, the thing is that while Civ V isn't nearly as graphically demanding as a cutting edge shooter it is far far more computing intensive. Every turn the comp is having to decide what every unit, city, and everything else are going to do. By the late game that is taking a large large amount of effort.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bumping this to get a sense of the latter game crashes that Civ V causes. It's pretty rediculous and such a glaring oversight. I meet the maximum requirements and yet I can only make a couple of decisions before the game just freezes up on me. Googling the problem comes with several other players experience game-freezing crashes like it. At first it occurred on the huge map / marathon game setting but now players are reporting it across many game mode types. I'm wondering if I'm not alone on this?

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Rayeth

Haven't had this issue.

Lots of slowdown late game with loading and scrolling, but never any lockups even on huge maps with tons of civs and city-states.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I haven't had that issue. 

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13  Edited By Geno

Civ V is heavily CPU-based. As you can see on these charts that used a late-game scenario benchmark, the game even scales with an overclocked Core i7 (when normally games would be based on the GPU, and would thus not scale with increased processor power). It's one of the few, if not only, games or game that is this dependent on the processor.  

(Charts from this article at Techspot)

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    It also appears to be unoptimized to an extent, since it never really fully utilizes the cores despite it giving low fps 

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.