Multiplayer and E-mail

#1 Posted by Branthog (7342 posts) -

I was really hoping for email-style turn-based options in Civilization V. You know, like "chess by email". Sure, it's extremely slow, but it's a lot of fun when you can think your moves out for quite awhile and you don't have to sit down and play it all at once.

I'm also wondering what everyone's experience has been in finding multiplayer games, so far? I fear the lack of leaderboard or stat tracking is turning a lot of people away, perhaps? I just checked this evening and there are only five games on deck.

#2 Posted by vogon (95 posts) -

the standard Civ-4-and-less PBeM solution was to start a hotseat multiplayer game and e-mail the savegame around.  did they pull that out?  :(
#3 Posted by Branthog (7342 posts) -

No hot-seat in Civ 5, though supposedly they're going to include it, eventually. Seems like a poor solution in this day and age, anyway. I mean, like most CIVs, it's probably going to have a good five year life before the next version and I can't imagine using that as a "play by mail" solution in 2015. *sigh*

#4 Posted by commandercup (500 posts) -

Play by email was never my cup of tea, but I can see it's merits. I really want hot-seat support though.

#5 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Everytime I tried online....it crashed. So the online sucks for me.

#6 Posted by Snotty (50 posts) -

I would be shocked and amazed if play by mail wasnt included eventually. Perhaps it is because pbem is only followed by a minority of players that it has been postponed

#7 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" Everytime I tried online....it crashed. So the online sucks for me. "
You didn't miss much. I enjoy CiV5 but the multiplayer was, for me at least, unbearable. Maybe it's better with hotseat with some friends, but this is certainly no starcraft 2 online.
#8 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5250 posts) -

I really want to do something like this with my buddy. Just seems like too much fun in an old fashioned sort of way.

#9 Posted by Branthog (7342 posts) -

I haven't jumped into an actually multiplayer game yet, either. Mostly because it seemed like the online was nearly dead (like I said, about five games on deck out of how many hundreds of thousands of copies?). I've heard that in multiplayer, there are no animations, though. I guess that makes it more like a "board game", but definitely qualifies in my mind as a little bit of that "jank" that Vogon posted about elsewhere in this forum.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.