Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sid Meier's Civilization V

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 21, 2010

Civilization V brings brand new gameplay elements to this beloved franchise, while maintaining the "just one more turn" mentality.

Multiplayer and E-mail

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Branthog

I was really hoping for email-style turn-based options in Civilization V. You know, like "chess by email". Sure, it's extremely slow, but it's a lot of fun when you can think your moves out for quite awhile and you don't have to sit down and play it all at once.

I'm also wondering what everyone's experience has been in finding multiplayer games, so far? I fear the lack of leaderboard or stat tracking is turning a lot of people away, perhaps? I just checked this evening and there are only five games on deck.

vogon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By vogon

the standard Civ-4-and-less PBeM solution was to start a hotseat multiplayer game and e-mail the savegame around.  did they pull that out?  :(
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Branthog

No hot-seat in Civ 5, though supposedly they're going to include it, eventually. Seems like a poor solution in this day and age, anyway. I mean, like most CIVs, it's probably going to have a good five year life before the next version and I can't imagine using that as a "play by mail" solution in 2015. *sigh*

commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By commandercup

Play by email was never my cup of tea, but I can see it's merits. I really want hot-seat support though.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By KaosAngel

Everytime I tried online....it crashed. So the online sucks for me.

Snotty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By Snotty

I would be shocked and amazed if play by mail wasnt included eventually. Perhaps it is because pbem is only followed by a minority of players that it has been postponed

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Pinworm45
    @KaosAngel said:
    " Everytime I tried online....it crashed. So the online sucks for me. "
    You didn't miss much. I enjoy CiV5 but the multiplayer was, for me at least, unbearable. Maybe it's better with hotseat with some friends, but this is certainly no starcraft 2 online.
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I really want to do something like this with my buddy. Just seems like too much fun in an old fashioned sort of way.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Branthog

I haven't jumped into an actually multiplayer game yet, either. Mostly because it seemed like the online was nearly dead (like I said, about five games on deck out of how many hundreds of thousands of copies?). I've heard that in multiplayer, there are no animations, though. I guess that makes it more like a "board game", but definitely qualifies in my mind as a little bit of that "jank" that Vogon posted about elsewhere in this forum.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.