My PC can't handle this game, sadness ensues.

#1 Posted by Jayzz (591 posts) -

:(
 
well, looks like its time to save up 900 dollars for a new pc...

#2 Posted by Sanryd (1362 posts) -

Yeah, I know what you're sayin'. I can run it beautifully, but I mainly want to play with my brother who is using a laptop running at around 6 fps. He played around 10 turns before he said "fuck it".

#3 Posted by NickLott (791 posts) -

If all the settings on low and the resolution turned down doesn't help, I might suggest using the strategic view. It's the same game with a simplified view. 

#4 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -
@tdk08 said:
" Yeah, I know what you're sayin'. I can run it beautifully, but I mainly want to play with my brother who is using a laptop running at around 6 fps. He played around 10 turns before he said "fuck it". "
6 fps? Ouch... That is pretty bad.
#5 Posted by Jayzz (591 posts) -
@nicklott said:
" If all the settings on low and the resolution turned down doesn't help, I might suggest using the strategic view. It's the same game with a simplified view.  "
tried.. the thing is, once i saw the quick look (clouds + water + overall amazing looking game), thats what i want my game to look like. but the clouds aren't clouds. they're greyed out hexagons haha. :(
#6 Posted by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -

The tragedy of PC gaming strikes again?

#7 Posted by Jayzz (591 posts) -
@thehexeditor said:
" The tragedy of PC gaming strikes again? "
yes.
#8 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -
@Jayzz said:
" :(  well, looks like its time to save up 900 dollars for a new pc... "
You don't have to save up $900 if you just need to upgrade your video card or CPU...
#9 Posted by Jayzz (591 posts) -
@OllyOxenFree said:
" @Jayzz said:
" :(  well, looks like its time to save up 900 dollars for a new pc... "
You don't have to save up $900 if you just need to upgrade your video card or CPU... "
naw i need to, I have a Laptop right now that can (somehow) run sc2 pretty well, but not civ 5.
#10 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -
@Jayzz said:
" @OllyOxenFree said:
" @Jayzz said:
" :(  well, looks like its time to save up 900 dollars for a new pc... "
You don't have to save up $900 if you just need to upgrade your video card or CPU... "
naw i need to, I have a Laptop right now that can (somehow) run sc2 pretty well, but not civ 5. "
SC2 is pretty damn optimized, as with all other Blizzard games. But yes, if you have a laptop then just getting a new video card isn't going to cut it. Civilization V is also a very heavy CPU centric game.
#11 Posted by Jayzz (591 posts) -
@Meteora said:
" @Jayzz said:
" @OllyOxenFree said:
" @Jayzz said:
" :(  well, looks like its time to save up 900 dollars for a new pc... "
You don't have to save up $900 if you just need to upgrade your video card or CPU... "
naw i need to, I have a Laptop right now that can (somehow) run sc2 pretty well, but not civ 5. "
SC2 is pretty damn optimized, as with all other Blizzard games. But yes, if you have a laptop then just getting a new video card isn't going to cut it. Civilization V is also a very heavy CPU centric game. "
yeah its kinda lame, i wish i never watched that Civ 5 quick look D:
#12 Posted by JJWeatherman (14553 posts) -
@Meteora said:
" @Jayzz said:
" @OllyOxenFree said:
" @Jayzz said:
" :(  well, looks like its time to save up 900 dollars for a new pc... "
You don't have to save up $900 if you just need to upgrade your video card or CPU... "
naw i need to, I have a Laptop right now that can (somehow) run sc2 pretty well, but not civ 5. "
SC2 is pretty damn optimized, as with all other Blizzard games. But yes, if you have a laptop then just getting a new video card isn't going to cut it. Civilization V is also a very heavy CPU centric game. "
Not to mention that upgrading a graphics card in a Laptop is more or less impossible. 
 
Good luck on the new PC purchase. I plan to build my own sometime soon. Maybe I'll wait until christmas time so my parents can buy me some of the parts.
#13 Posted by Three0neFive (2285 posts) -

Use Strategic View. It basically turns it into a boardgame.
 

If your computer can't run this, I fear for your economic condition.
#14 Posted by Jayzz (591 posts) -
@Three0neFive said:
" Use Strategic View. It basically turns it into a boardgame.
 

If your computer can't run this, I fear for your economic condition.
"
im a graphics whore
#15 Posted by sickVisionz (1268 posts) -
@nicklott said:
" If all the settings on low and the resolution turned down doesn't help, I might suggest using the strategic view. It's the same game with a simplified view.  "
Except, for me at least, strategic view crashes the game if it's open during an auto-save turn. 
 
Sucks about the OP.  All of my settings are set somewhere between off and low and the game runs acceptable, although the in-between turn slowdown that used to happen late game in Civ4 now starts happening in during BC times.
#16 Posted by Ghost407 (166 posts) -

Yeah, I finally got this downloaded onto my laptop recently...  I'm having some issues here too, I'll try to upload a screen shot eventually.  My comp has more than the minimum, but not up to the "recommended".  I wish this would work.  SAD FACE!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.