Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sid Meier's Civilization V

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 21, 2010

Civilization V brings brand new gameplay elements to this beloved franchise, while maintaining the "just one more turn" mentality.

Need some clarity on strategic tiles near your city

wutaiSTYLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By wutaiSTYLE

If I have an aluminum tile and a gold tile near my city, will my citizens only work on one of them? There's so  much information to process in this game that it's overwhelming. Don't get me wrong though. This is my first Civ game and I'm loving it so far.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

I think you need to be able to do those in terms of abilities...I saw some iron or some shit, and it told me I can't do anything there.  :| 

Game is confusing.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TheMustacheHero

You can make more than 1 worker unit to work on each tile.
    Also you need to change your research project to learn about mining ( I think it's masonry at the start) and that's located at the top left of the screen.

This is my first Civ game, so this is noobie advice to another noobie haha.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By StaticFalconar

If you have enough citizens in the city, they will work on both. It all matters on what the populaton on the city is. Small city with lots of resources is not as good as fully developed city with no resources since fully developed city has bigger pop to use all the tiles around them.  

To check, click on your city name, then in the upper right corner, click citizen allocation focus. Any tile you see has a head in it is being worked on, Any tiles with a black space it in means its not being worked on. So in the begginning of the game it doesn't matter if you have all the resources around you or not, you can't use them yet and by the time you can, you could have built an army to take a city with the resources if you didn't have them (or if you had them, you just grow your city). 

wutaiSTYLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By wutaiSTYLE
    @TheMustacheHero: Ya, I understand that but even after the tiles are improved by my workers, my city isn't taking in any of the resources.  For instance: I have a gold and aluminum near my city but the citizens are only bringing in the aluminum which is what I don't understand. 

Man I just built a huge civilation with five cities and my gold income is -25 lol. I was going for a diplomacy victory but it doesn't look like it's going to work. =(
    CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CoverlessTech

Each city has a number of citizens. Usually starting with one. Once you get enough food a new citizen will be "born".

You can assign each citizen to a single task. 

These task include 

• "farming" a tile, in which case you will gain the production/food/gold generated by that tile.
    • Unassigned, in which case I believe they generate 1 production per turn
    • Assigned to a special building. Later game buildings like the University can have citizens assigned to them, in this case you get what the building supplies, usually science

If you have aluminum and gold near your city you should build the appropriate tile enhancement to get the resource(mines in this case I believe).  You can then assign a citizen to each tile to gain the extra production and or gold. I don't think you need a citizen there to add the resource to your trade network though.
    wutaiSTYLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By wutaiSTYLE
     @StaticFalconar:  Ok thanks for clearing that up. I think I understand now. 

@CoverlessTech:
      Thank you too sir! 

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KaosAngel
    @CoverlessTech: How do you auto the citizens?
    wutaiSTYLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By wutaiSTYLE
    @KaosAngel: Click on the city you want to auto the citizens. Once you do that, there are boxes you can check off in the top right.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KaosAngel
    @wutaiSTYLE: Thank you.  
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#11  Edited By alistercat
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @CoverlessTech: How do you auto the citizens? "
    If you bring up the interface for assigning citizens to tiles, then click on the green city icon over you city (should be different from the other 'head' style icons, but similar in styling) the city will automatically distribute the citizens to the tiles that it thinks is right. Best part is you can mix and match. Head icons are ones chosen by the city, lock icons are ones you have placed yourself.
    CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CoverlessTech
    @wutaiSTYLE said:
    " @KaosAngel: Click on the city you want to auto the citizens. Once you do that, there are boxes you can check off in the top right. "
    Correct, you can also manually assign them by clicking the tile you want to use. If you click a tile that has someone already it will un-assign them as above.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @CoverlessTech: How do you auto the citizens? "
    citizzens are always on auto, its just a matter of what type of tiles to focus on. See my above post to make your city specialize in something.  

@wutaiSTYLE said:
    "  Man I just built a huge civilation with five cities and my gold income is -25 lol. I was going for a diplomacy victory but it doesn't look like it's going to work. =( "
    Perhaps you need some banks and other economy driven buildings and tech. Big civilizations doesn't mean you always bring in the money, America runs on a deficit almost every year. The money you get per turn isn't based on your GNP but taxes and such that the government takes in. But if you are going to diplo victory I'm assuming you have no need for big army so get your cities to produce wealth. 
    mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By mosdl

Also remember that some resources require a certain tech before they can be harvested.

wutaiSTYLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By wutaiSTYLE

@StaticFalconar said:

@wutaiSTYLE said:
    "  Man I just built a huge civilation with five cities and my gold income is -25 lol. I was going for a diplomacy victory but it doesn't look like it's going to work. =( "
    Perhaps you need some banks and other economy driven buildings and tech. Big civilizations doesn't mean you always bring in the money, America runs on a deficit almost every year. The money you get per turn isn't based on your GNP but taxes and such that the government takes in. But if you are going to diplo victory I'm assuming you have no need for big army so get your cities to produce wealth.  "

That's exactly what I was going for but clearly I messed up somehow.  All of my cities have been upgraded with economic buildings every chance I could get. I only have three workers and two military units.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By mosdl

I believe you can hover over the gold icon on the top left to see where the costs are coming from. 

Snotty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Snotty

Allocate citizens to those tiles in the top right of the city screen, if the city manager is not doing it for you

Improve the amount of gold brought in my some resources by getting a worker to build an improvement on that tile

If your economy is struggling consider turning farms into trading posts

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By yinstarrunner

remember that gold is a luxury resource. The only place its reflected is on your citizens happiness and the fact that you get a little extra money from a tile with that on it.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#19  Edited By Undeadpool
    @CoverlessTech said:
    " Each city has a number of citizens. Usually starting with one. Once you get enough food a new citizen will be "born".

You can assign each citizen to a single task. 

These task include 
    • "farming" a tile, in which case you will gain the production/food/gold generated by that tile.
    • Unassigned, in which case I believe they generate 1 production per turn
    • Assigned to a special building. Later game buildings like the University can have citizens assigned to them, in this case you get what the building supplies, usually science
    If you have aluminum and gold near your city you should build the appropriate tile enhancement to get the resource(mines in this case I believe).  You can then assign a citizen to each tile to gain the extra production and or gold. I don't think you need a citizen there to add the resource to your trade network though. "
    Oh SHIT! Do you have to do that actively or will the game just do it for you if you don't assign them anything? Cause if not...I've had a VERY unproductive 4 hours...
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Undeadpool: 
    By default citizens are auto assigned to working tiles, so you're fine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.