Need some help with Civ V

#1 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

Started playing Civ V yesterday. First time playing a Civ game and loving it so far. But I have a question. 
  
So Stockholm and Beograd weren't really that into Copenhagen and wanted someone to "take care of them". I assumed I was the "someone" and started a war against Copenhagen and eventually defeated them. Stockholm and Beograd both promised that the one that took care of Copenhagen for them would receive gifts or something, but I haven't gotten anything from either of them. A similar thing happened a while back when a city wanted someone to kill the Barbarians that were lurking around their city. I did that, but I didn't receive anything. 
 
And when I click on their city, it still says that they'd appreciate it if someone took care of Copenhagen, even though I've taken over Copenhagen now. What the hell am I supposed to do to receive my "award"?

#2 Posted by GreyFox (137 posts) -

When you help city states, your relationship with them goes up. You can a bar under their name on the map or when clicking on them. When the relationship points reach a certain threshold, you become friends, and later allies. The points degrade over time, so you need to either bribe them with money or do quests for them to keep them up.
 
The gifts you get depends on the city state type, Militaristic CS will give you units occasionally, cultural will give you extra culture per turn, seafaring will give you extra food per turn in every city you have. Also, when you are friends with the,m, you can freely cross their territory, thy wont get angry, and when you are allied, they will declare war on whoever you declare war.

#3 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2695 posts) -

Did you raze the city? Occupy it?

#4 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -
@Rolyatkcinmai said:

Did you raze the city? Occupy it?

Yes, I annexed it. Should I have made it a puppet?
#5 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2695 posts) -

@Twilight said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

Did you raze the city? Occupy it?

Yes, I annexed it. Should I have made it a puppet?

It may have been asking you to raze it. I'm not really sure. It's been a while.

#6 Posted by GreyFox (137 posts) -
@Rolyatkcinmai
I don't think it matters.
#7 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -

I don't think it matters either way what you do with the city. It simply increases your relationship status. Get it high enough and they'll offer you units, culture, cash, etc., depending on what type of city state it is.

#8 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -
@haggis said:
I don't think it matters either way what you do with the city. It simply increases your relationship status. Get it high enough and they'll offer you units, culture, cash, etc., depending on what type of city state it is.
Ah, so there's no immediete award? But they help me with units and such in the future? Thats cool. But I still don't get why they're still saying that someone should "take care of" Copenhagen, even though I've clearly occupied them. Shouldn't the text change to something like "thanks for your help" or something?
#9 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -
@Twilight said:
@haggis said:
I don't think it matters either way what you do with the city. It simply increases your relationship status. Get it high enough and they'll offer you units, culture, cash, etc., depending on what type of city state it is.
Ah, so there's no immediete award? But they help me with units and such in the future? Thats cool. But I still don't get why they're still saying that someone should "take care of" Copenhagen, even though I've clearly occupied them. Shouldn't the text change to something like "thanks for your help" or something?
I'm gonna take a calculated guess that they explicitly wanted you to raze the city and remove it from the game permanently instead of annexing it or making it a puppet.  You would have to destroy it in order to complete that task, but with a new city as part of your network, it may be a fine substitute reward depending on how you are building your Civilization.
#10 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -
@Twilight: There *is* an immediate reward: the bar representing your relationship with that city state goes up. You can raise this a few different ways, like gifting them units or giving them money. If you aren't rolling in cash, doing them favors (like taking out other city states) is the most efficient way of increasing the relationship bar. I've never had a problem: if I'm asked to "take care of" a city, I always annex. I never raze city states. And I think I've always gotten the bonus. In any case, I think you can still go into the city management screen and raze it if you like.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.