Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sid Meier's Civilization V

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 21, 2010

Civilization V brings brand new gameplay elements to this beloved franchise, while maintaining the "just one more turn" mentality.

One thing about Civ V, it always throws your plans out the window

StupidGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By StupidGamer

I just finished up a science victory last night playing as Japan on a pangea map with 8 Civs and 16 city states, but the reason I chose Japan was because I wanted to go for a Domination victory. I started out strong by expanding quickly and getting a good number of units out, but I was unlucky to have Greece below me and they were expanding very quickly as well. It took two wars to put Greece away because he kept expanding East as I was doing battles with him in the West and South. Thankfully his expansion to the East caused him to fight on a second front with Siam. After finishing off Greece I made easy work of Siam and China. It was after sending a Trieme around the map that I realized that the Iroquois and English had both become massive; each bigger than my own empire and they were both stocked up on military units. At this point I decided to keep pushing for the military victory and I invaded America who was actually down to one last city (an occupied city state) on the other end of the map. I liberated the city, and then paid Hiawatha to go to war with England. I watched that war until England was down to one last city. I had a big landing party ready to swoop in and take that last city. 

Now it was just me and the Iroquios and a few city states. I never met the other two Civs before Hiawatha conquered them. I decided that a war would be a huge time and resource commitment, so I set to keeping Hiawatha and all the city states happy. Quickly I shifted gears to pump out Culture and Production. Money was rolling in, my citizens were very happy, and I started blazing through both the tech tree and building production. I could see that a Science victory was possible within the time limit as long as I kept Hiawatha happy. I didn't plan to win this way, but it was probably the best way to go. In the end I got my first ever Science victory, and it was quite fun. Out of curiosity I did the "one more turn" option and started  a war. I got absolutely devastated, so in the end I chose the better route.  

So how often do you typically end up winning the game the way you planned from the beginning? It's only happened to me once in many games.

mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By mason

I played Civ 4 unplanned. Just fudged around until the industrial age while being a jack-of-all-trades. Then I'd later chose a victory path depending on my opponents tactics. If I was forced to change tactics again, then my civilization would already be well-rounded enough to change course.

With Civ 5 I've been more serious about choosing a direction from the start and working specifically towards it. Since I can't just spam every building in every city, specializing has become more important, it seems. Of the 3 games I've played. All of them finished exactly the way I intended (on Prince difficulty). Staying the course pays off since the AI is rarely that focused enough to min-max.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @StupidGamer: I hope you know all you gotta do is just take over thier original captials for the domination victory. Really great for those times when its down to two ppl and all you gotta do is bring a special strike force to take down thier capital ftw
    JammyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By JammyJesus

This is one of the best things about the game. I don't like to be forced into combat though, but who does?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ryanwho

Your plan should always be to kill the first 4 civs you come across no matter what and take their city/workers. Otherwise you think you're doing good then 3 people decide to go to war with you at the same time on 3 different fronts. And none of them feel like negotiating. I don't care what victory you're going for, kill the first 4 fuckers you see no matter what. Its easy to do early game.

StupidGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By StupidGamer
    @StaticFalconar said:
    " @StupidGamer: I hope you know all you gotta do is just take over thier original captials for the domination victory. Really great for those times when its down to two ppl and all you gotta do is bring a special strike force to take down thier capital ftw "
    Yeah, but Hiawatha's capital was dead center in the middle of a huge empire. It would have taken a huge amount of time and resources to get there. 
    Saseav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Saseav
    @StaticFalconar:  
    that rule saved my ass last game. i went bankrupt once or twice going down a domination route. i was barely in front of the others in tech(except babylon, which made taking them down that much easier) i hate the romans, and arabs they kept forcing a two front war.
    19nazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By 19nazzy

There's nothing better than one of the leaders taunting you for not having a large army, then devoting everything to building a massive army and wiping that leader off the face of the earth. 

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Winternet

I never go to a match trying to go for one specific goal. As the match unfolds my civilization goes towards one goal or another. I try to keep it balanced as much as possible. But, I haven't got the Culture one. That seems like it would need a different approach from the get go.

Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Mayu_Zane

I start with trying to set up three cities then have one focus for culture, one for building wonders (usually settler) and another for science. If I can, I make a settler and start another city that focuses on getting gold (a hunt for luxury items and gold/silver comes before that). Convert to total military as soon as someone knocks on my borders.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By mrfizzy
    @StupidGamer: i generally do something along the lines of this but the other way round. I plan to get a science victory and end saying "fuck it" and invading others. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.