Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sid Meier's Civilization V

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 21, 2010

Civilization V brings brand new gameplay elements to this beloved franchise, while maintaining the "just one more turn" mentality.

Should there be a better ending?

FriedGold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FriedGold

Does anyone else feel like there should be a more climactic conclusion when you win a game? I finally finished a game and was a little underwhelmed at the victory screen.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By haggis

I really liked the graphs from the previous game that showed the proportion of power over time. I don't really miss it that much, though. I always want more stats, etc., so I can adjust my play style the next time. They don't give me as much as I want, but I'm happy with what's there. The last thing I want at that point is a long cutscene though. I'm not sure what they could really do that would be different.

FriedGold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FriedGold

It's true, a long cut scene would be annoying, I guess I just have to dive back in.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By crusader8463

Ya, I would even be happy with a canned 5-10 seconds cinematic that played depending on how you won. Like if you got the space ending then it showed a space ship flying into the sky, or if it was a military victory show a tank rolling over a statue or something. Or they could have even used those faction leaders to show the last ones left alive bowing down to you, or saying something along the lines of "Our Alliance will forever hold strong."

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Undeadpool
    @crusader8463 said:
    " Ya, I would even be happy with a canned 5-10 seconds cinematic that played depending on how you won. Like if you got the space ending then it showed a space ship flying into the sky, or if it was a military victory show a tank rolling over a statue or something. Or they could have even used those faction leaders to show the last ones left alive bowing down to you, or saying something along the lines of "Our Alliance will forever hold strong." "
    I think this would've been the best way to go about it if they were going to go that route. But this game more than almost any other really exemplifies the mentality of "it's not the destination, it's the journey."
    Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Vodun

I haven't seen how 5 handles it yet, but Civ games have always felt very anti climactic to me. Considering the epic journey which just took place (creation of a freaking civilization) there should be a more visually explosive end. 

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#7  Edited By alistercat

I don't know. For me it' always the journey that's the satisfying part. The destination, if it is a victory, will always be the same. Even if you add bells and whistles to make it seem exciting. The enjoyment should come from what you did to win, rather than winning. Simply because you invest so much time in a game of Civ, if you're playing to get that win and get enjoyment from that win there are much more time efficient games where you can win without playing a 10 hour game.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ryanwho

I think you're supposed to be going "and now what" at the end. Its an existential crisis. You turn off the game and start reading Nietzsche or something.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By crusader8463
    @Undeadpool said:
    " @crusader8463 said:
    " Ya, I would even be happy with a canned 5-10 seconds cinematic that played depending on how you won. Like if you got the space ending then it showed a space ship flying into the sky, or if it was a military victory show a tank rolling over a statue or something. Or they could have even used those faction leaders to show the last ones left alive bowing down to you, or saying something along the lines of "Our Alliance will forever hold strong." "
    I think this would've been the best way to go about it if they were going to go that route. But this game more than almost any other really exemplifies the mentality of "it's not the destination, it's the journey." "
    I agree with the last part, but if the destination is a let down it can sometimes sour the memory of the journey and any future journeys you may have now knowing where it will end. Hopefully in the dozen or so expansion they are no doubt already working on they address this stuff and just add that extra layer of polish to make the game even better.
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Red12b

Yeah, Civ 4 had an awesome end screen, I loved that play by play of how you and the people you crushed did, brilliant. 

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By SSully
    @Red12b said:
    " Yeah, Civ 4 had an awesome end screen, I loved that play by play of how you and the people you crushed did, brilliant.  "
    Yeah they are defiantly lacking the stats in this games end screen. Yesterday i lost my first game and i couldnt even find out which civ ended up winning. Hopefully they improve this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.