Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sid Meier's Civilization V

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 21, 2010

Civilization V brings brand new gameplay elements to this beloved franchise, while maintaining the "just one more turn" mentality.

Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By elko84
    No Caption Provided
    Hey Civ fans, want to get your Civ craving outside of the computer and with people in person?  Well Fantasy Flight Games released Civilization as a board game a few months ago.  I picked this up myself as it looks fun.  Hoping to try it out with my buddy this week.  Here is the link to the product page for it.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=128&enmi=Civilization    
    Avatar image for angryredplumber
    AngryRedPlumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By AngryRedPlumber

Wow, looks interesting!  Let us know how the game is!

Stexred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Stexred
    @elko84: oh nice
    EvilConker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By EvilConker

I saw that game in action during PAX East... And I didn't get it.

That game is a lesson in non-comprimization when designing a board game, they tried to cover every little thing and were willing to adapt nothing, the result is a $60 mess.
    elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By elko84
    @EvilConker: Wrong.  If you know how to play Civ, the board game follows the same rules.  It's fairly easy.  I guess it could be hard to just look at it without understanding how to play and not get it. 
    EvilConker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EvilConker
    @elko84: Real Civ has a lot of statistical automation that this board game wants players to figure out for themselves. It took an hour to get through the demonstration, which only covered the first three turns and actually FIGURING OUT how to play.

I took a good look at the manual, it looked like what we got with Civ IV (223 pages, no wonder Civ V went digital.)

Also, I know how to play Civ, I've played/own Civ IV, Civ Revolution, and Civ V.

This is just too complex for a standard board game...
    elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By elko84
    @EvilConker: It's not a standard board game.  This is no Candy Land.  Learning the rules of the board game can take a good hour, but that only needs to be accomplished once (unless you play with new players all the time obviously).  But it's not that complex as I took two people who have never played any Civ game or even knew what Civ was about and they figured out the board game.
    EvilConker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EvilConker
    @elko84: I'm saying they should've made SOME attempt at making this more of a board game and less of a direct port, minus the computing power.
    turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By turboman

Great... an eight hour board game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.