Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sid Meier's SimGolf

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jan 23, 2002

Build a thriving country club and beat the competition in this golf course management simulator from Sid Meier.

How does expanding work?

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Winternet

Naturally, I've got my hands on a copy of SimGolf after the premium feature and I am now faced with this problem. I've only been asked to expand once and now I have 8 holes and nowhere else to continue my hole production (yeahhhh hole production). How does it work? Is it random or do you have to meet certain criteria? How long do I have to sit on a 8-hole course (which is fabulous, by the way)?

tacitteyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By tacitteyo

It's based off your fun rating on easier difficulties. Get the 1.02 patch from the firaxis site to increase the chances IM Picky coming around. There is a 1.03 patch, but I've read that is nerfs your putting skills to 10% regardless of what you actually have. (EDIT: I can only find one mention of this bug, so take this with a grain of salt. Here is the link: http://simgolf.yuku.com/reply/2887/110#reply-2887 )

This website has an unofficial guide if you have other questions: http://www.rybolton.com/simgolf/index.htm

This website has some good tips and tricks to get the most out of your (so far fabulous :P) 8-hole course: http://jztemple.tripod.com/backswing/

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By hero_swe

@tacitteyo said:

. There is a 1.03 patch, but I've read that is nerfs your putting skills to 10% regardless of what you actually have.

Woah! Where did you read that? That's huge! I've spent so much time and got a pretty good course right now. I'd hate to have to start over because of that big of a bug, and I have noticed my guy kinda sucks at putting unless he's really close.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By eroticfishcake

What tacitteyo said, it's based off your fun rating. Whenever it reaches a certain threshold (like every 200 Fun Rating points or something like that?) I.M. Picky will pop down and play on your course. If he's happy at the end he'll offer to sell you some extra land to which you can expand your course. If you refuse for whatever reason he should come back eventually. Also, as a general tip it might be a good idea to build up to nine holes when you can since that'll allow you to hire more experienced staff, which should help you plan the rest of your course.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Ben_H
    @eroticfishcake said:

What tacitteyo said, it's based off your fun rating. Whenever it reaches a certain threshold (like every 200 Fun Rating points or something like that?) I.M. Picky will pop down and play on your course. If he's happy at the end he'll offer to sell you some extra land to which you can expand your course. If you refuse for whatever reason he should come back eventually. Also, as a general tip it might be a good idea to build up to nine holes when you can since that'll allow you to hire more experienced staff, which should help you plan the rest of your course.

It is every 200 points, yes. Actually, it is 6 holes for better staff.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By eroticfishcake

@Ben_H: Ah, my bad then. I don't remember it being at six holes though. I'm probably just confusing it with something else.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Ben_H
    @eroticfishcake: I'll double check to be sure, but yeah I think the better staff is 6 holes. It might be either the cart garage or another facility that is unlocked at 9. 

Edit: Yep, at 6 holes you get skilled staff.
    tacitteyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By tacitteyo

@Hero_Swe: Here's the post claiming it: http://simgolf.yuku.com/reply/2887/110#reply-2887

Upon further inspection, this is the only mention I can find regarding this matter, and thus should be taken with a dose of salt. I can say that I have the 1.02 patch running and my guy seems to putt okay. The patches only update the executable file, so if you're adventurous try replacing "golf.exe" with a 1.02 version and see if there is a difference. If it doesn't work, you can easily change back.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.