Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SIE Santa Monica Studio

Company »

A Santa Monica based Sony-owned developer, mostly known for developing the God of War franchise.

Creators of GoW to Create new IP. Probably an open world game.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Aegon

Her's the source

With God of War 3 having released back on early 2010, it’s a safe bet that Sony Santa Monica are quite far along with the development of their next game. No one is really sure what the studio is working on, with many speculating that they are developing a new GOW, perhaps set in a different mythological setting. However, a recent job listing now confirms that they are working on a new IP, although no platforms are specified.
    Over on Gamasutra, the job listing states:
    The Sony Santa Monica Studio is hiring for an unannounced new IP!Additionally, the advertisement reveals that “Experience in designing or contributing to the development of an “open world” game is a plus.” This backs up previous job listings that looked for experience in open world games, as well as vehicular combat and shooting games.

I'd rather it be something more fantasy based with a heavy focus on story and atmosphere. Something like Okami. Not neccesarily gameplay wise, but in terms of how the world and art service the story elements.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DystopiaX

I read this thread as Gears of War developer to do something new. Now i'm considerably less interested.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By toowalrus

New IP, eh? That's cool, I think 5 God of War games is enough. I didn't play 3- was there satisfying closure? Is Kratos still alive (and angry?)

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By LordXavierBritish

This is the most ironic thing ever.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Aegon

@TooWalrus said:

New IP, eh? That's cool, I think 5 God of War games is enough. I didn't play 3- was there satisfying closure? Is Kratos still alive (and angry?)

Yes the word is overused, but the final fight was EPIC! There was a section in between the stages of the fight that had a great artistic style and a really different feeling. How it transitioned from one thing to the other was very pretty. Kratos stabbed himself in the end, but we see a blood trail lead to the edge of a cliff. Whatever does that mean?

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Quacktastic

Jaffe makes Twisted Metal, makes God of War.  Leaves, makes another Twisted Metal.  God of War team looking for Twisted Metal experience.

Nope, not confusing at all.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By N7

There's a rumor going around(Since that news is reeeeeaaaally old) that they are making Heavenly Sword 2.

I doubt they are doing that, but as high quality God Of War 3 was, I'd LOVE to see something by these guys.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By spankingaddict

I would totally want them to start on a new franchise, even though I LOVE God of War. It seems like the right time to give the series a break.

Like you said , I would love to see a Okamish style of game with a cool combat system and awesome atmosphere... Heavenly Sword 2 does sound pretty cool, too...

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I thought this was announced sometime earlier this year.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SethPhotopoulos said:

I thought this was announced sometime earlier this year.

I think someone said in a GB interview that their next project probably won't be GoW related, but it wasn't really a confirmation of a new IP. I think anyways, I may be crazy.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Gabriel

I thought God of War was GOW, and Gears of War was GoW, because GEoW is a dumb acronymn.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Gargantuan

@Gabriel said:

I thought God of War was GOW, and Gears of War was GoW, because GEoW is a dumb acronymn.

God of War is GoW or GOW, Gears of War is Gears.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By EVO

@Gabriel said:

No, Gears of War is just Gears.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MrKlorox

I like me some open world.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Gargantuan said:

@Gabriel said:

Yup
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Gabriel

@ajamafalous said:

@Gargantuan said:

@Gabriel said:

Yup

And yet there are like 50 threads referring to Gears of War as GoW in the title, making it confusing which is which. I think Gears of War deserves some kind of Acronymn that isn't Gears or GEoW

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By onarum

Sounds good, I wonder if it'll be for the PS3 or the next sony console.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By MooseyMcMan

You know, I would totally like a game set in the God of War universe that is less combat focused, and way more open.

A new IP is nice though. It's good when developers get to try out new things.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Gabriel said:

@ajamafalous said:

@Gargantuan said:

@Gabriel said:

Yup

And yet there are like 50 threads referring to Gears of War as GoW in the title, making it confusing which is which. I think Gears of War deserves some kind of Acronymn that isn't Gears or GEoW

Gears is only two more letters than GoW and takes less effort/time to say. I can't think of a reason that you wouldn't use Gears. There aren't a hundred other popular games running around with Gears in their title, either, so there shouldn't be any confusion there.
    caltexboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By caltexboy

does sce santa monica read this? be nice. I heard and by seeing some clips of GOW 4 on you tube it is a prequel. be nice if sce santa monica finally makes it a free roam game, where you can buy stuff and sell stuff. be nice if you can have maybe 2-4 player mayhem too.. I mean GOW series has some of the best fight combo's in the business, be nice if you can play this like an action rpg, but with buddies to pass aroound the "victim" beofre someone cuts him/her up. That is all the GOW series needs to make it perfect, free roam, multiplay campaighn with some rpg/quest elements. maybe even customization of character if needed.

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By david3cm

@LordXavierBritish: I am sorry, I am extremely tired and may be missing your point here, but why is this the most ironic thing ever? I am not trying to stir up trouble, I legitimately missed your point.

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By face15

I'd love to see an open-world game from these guys, but 'vehicular combat and shooting' isn't really what I had in mind. I think there's quite enough of those already.

Would love something open-world and kinda, sorta in the vein of God of War.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.