Silent hill 2 backwards compatibility

#1 Posted by thehideousshrew (207 posts) -

Just bought a copy of silent hill 2 for Xbox because microsoft claimed it was backwards compatible for 360 on their website. Just put it in and I'm getting sound and no picture. Any Ideas?

#2 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

Are you using a VGA cable?

#3 Posted by thehideousshrew (207 posts) -
@Meowayne: Component
#4 Posted by timay (190 posts) -

I don't own that game but if it wasn't compatible you wouldn't get that far. Did it download a title update before launching?

#5 Posted by thehideousshrew (207 posts) -
@timay: it did indeed, I can hear the menus moving but the "signed in to xbox live" message is statically frozen on the bottom of the screen.
#6 Posted by link_dc (98 posts) -

Did you buy the blind person edition? Check if the instruction booklet is in braille.

#7 Posted by timay (190 posts) -
#8 Posted by thehideousshrew (207 posts) -

Definitely compatibility. I assumed that it would work because it's a pal console. Does this mean that the american version will work on a PAL 360? Anybody tried this?

#9 Edited by Jeust (10854 posts) -

lol it should because of the frequency of display of your xbox. Is it configured to 60Hz? if it is change it to 50Hz.  
 
Lot's of games only work for 50Hz display.

#10 Posted by thehideousshrew (207 posts) -
@Jeust: done and done. Not compatible
 
Anyone tried the american version in a uk 360?
#11 Posted by Jeust (10854 posts) -
@thehideousshrew:  
 
ah you're screwed. The only version of the game that is compatible is the us version. 
 
Look at here... 
 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_compatible_with_Xbox_360  
#12 Posted by thehideousshrew (207 posts) -
@Jeust: Yeah but silent hill2: restless dreams is on the uk compatibility list but that is the title of the american version. 
Anybody actually tried this?
#13 Edited by Jeust (10854 posts) -
@thehideousshrew said:

" @Jeust: Yeah but silent hill2: restless dreams is on the uk compatibility list but that is the title of the american version.  Anybody actually tried this? "

The only version of the game that works on the xbox 360 is the american version of the game, according to wikipedia. The uk version doesn't work.
#14 Posted by thehideousshrew (207 posts) -
@Jeust: Just wanna know if anyone has tried the u.s. version on a uk 360 as thats the only reason i can fathom why microsoft would list it under backwards compatible in the UK section. 
http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm
#15 Posted by Jeust (10854 posts) -
@thehideousshrew said:
" @Jeust: Just wanna know if anyone has tried the u.s. version on a uk 360 as thats the only reason i can fathom why microsoft would list it under backwards compatible in the UK section.  http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm "
ah but if doesn't work on yours, don't get your hopes high. :(
#16 Posted by thehideousshrew (207 posts) -
@Jeust: I have the uk version which doesn't work on my on my uk 360. Listed under backwards compatible on microsoft.com for uk 360's it says "silent hill 2: Dreams" which is the american title. the uk version is not listed in this section, so before i lay down cash and excess shipping costs i just want to know if the american xbox version will work in my uk 360.
#17 Edited by Jeust (10854 posts) -
@thehideousshrew said:

" @Jeust: I have the uk version which doesn't work on my on my uk 360. Listed under backwards compatible on microsoft.com for uk 360's it says "silent hill 2: Dreams" which is the american title. the uk version is not listed in this section, so before i lay down cash and excess shipping costs i just want to know if the american xbox version will work in my uk 360. "

Ah! i looked for it, but couldn't found nothing special, but some references made me doubt that.  
 
Good luck!
#18 Posted by thehideousshrew (207 posts) -

Mystery solved. It doesn't work and thats that. gonna borrow my friends xbox and play it on that. Scars is deep.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.