Just beat this for the first time (spoiler bar)

#1 Edited by Sackmanjones (4784 posts) -

So I just finished this up on the hd collection, didn't have any very serious issues in case you are wondering about that version.  Anyway I quite enjoyed this game even though it scared the hell outta me and I had to use a guide once or twice to find kind of an abstract puzzle. Anyway I wanted to ask a question before I go into the ending.  So I have 3, homecoming, and downpour right now. Tomorrow when psn updates, I will be getting Silent Hill 1 for free thanks to psn+. My question is if I wanted to start one of the other games before I hit one where should I start? I hear 3 ties into 1 pretty hard so I may wait on it a bit (If I can even get through that ps1 game). 

Ok now to the ending stuff 

Anyway I really enjoyed the game except for creeping the hell outta me. If anyone has any suggestions about what I should go to next that would be great! 

EDIT: Should I play through the sub-mission? I noticed it only made me pick a gameplay difficulty which means its probably combat heavy, and that doesn't sound that appealing in a Silent Hill game.
#2 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -
#3 Posted by Sackmanjones (4784 posts) -
@TentPole Oh I see. Ya I guess that makes sense with Maria and such
#4 Posted by VierasTalo (912 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

EDIT: Should I play through the sub-mission? I noticed it only made me pick a gameplay difficulty which means its probably combat heavy, and that doesn't sound that appealing in a Silent Hill game.

Go ahead, it isn't any more combat-heavy than the main game. And play Silent Hill 1 next. Then 3, then the rest. Have fun.

#5 Posted by Brodehouse (10106 posts) -

Spoilers for a 10 year old game

@TentPole The ending suggests he was honest that watching his wife die was tearing him apart. It wasn't that he killed her to satisfy his sexual needs guilt free, it was that his sexual needs caused him huge degrees of guilt. That's the nurse portion of it, they represent his shame and self-loathing over natural attraction when he knows that should be the last thing on his mind. The mannequins are connected to it, he can't see other woman as a real emotional partner with his wife dead, so any base animal attraction he feels is completely abhorrent to his intellectual and emotional side. He is punishing himself in Silent Hill for seeing those other women as nothing more than walking vaginas.

The core part of James that I find interesting is that he incredible guilt for something that is completely understandable. It's actually a great example of how an unbalanced or horribly depressed person feels, others would look at his situation and even sympathize. James cannot, he has taken suffering that is not his fault and made it his fault. That's not often investigated.

I got the In Water ending. Because I kept trying to use the kitchen knife, and looking at it makes James take lets say a dark turn.

#6 Posted by the_great_skenardo (110 posts) -

There are some nods in downpour to previous silent hills, so if you're into that I guess I'd recommend doing that one last. It has some interesting subplot ideas and the better visuals make it one of the most visually striking in the series, and also some of the best enemies.

3 should be played after 1 if you care about continuity like that.

Homecoming can be done whenever; It's kind of its own little retarded beast. The console version of it is merely silent-hill levels of buggy, but the PC port is Busted. Don't play the PC port, boys and girls.

#7 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1805 posts) -

I'm surprised that's the ending you got. There's another ending that the game's mechanics heavily push you towards that most people get their first time around. I also like that ending the best out of the bunch.

As to your question, 3 is a direct sequal to one, so regardless of how you approach them you need to play 1 before 3. Also, 1 on normal isn't that difficult (though it is substantially more difficult than 2, that game is super easy), it it get's pretty tough on hard. 3 is the most difficult of the lot, but it it probably the best game of the bunch.

#8 Posted by Sackmanjones (4784 posts) -
@Brodehouse
Spoilers for a 10 year old game

@TentPole The ending suggests he was honest that watching his wife die was tearing him apart. It wasn't that he killed her to satisfy his sexual needs guilt free, it was that his sexual needs caused him huge degrees of guilt. That's the nurse portion of it, they represent his shame and self-loathing over natural attraction when he knows that should be the last thing on his mind. The mannequins are connected to it, he can't see other woman as a real emotional partner with his wife dead, so any base animal attraction he feels is completely abhorrent to his intellectual and emotional side. He is punishing himself in Silent Hill for seeing those other women as nothing more than walking vaginas.

The core part of James that I find interesting is that he incredible guilt for something that is completely understandable. It's actually a great example of how an unbalanced or horribly depressed person feels, others would look at his situation and even sympathize. James cannot, he has taken suffering that is not his fault and made it his fault. That's not often investigated.

I got the In Water ending. Because I kept trying to use the kitchen knife, and looking at it makes James take lets say a dark turn.
Spoiler for a 10 year old game that I never played =) so it was out of respect for those people lol.

But I was reading on the endings and never found how to get the in water ending. I did try to use that knife at least 3 for 4 times but I guess that wasn't enough. What ending did you mean they were pushing you towards through the game?
#9 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@Brodehouse: The game leaves it vague enough for you to fill in James motives yourself I have always viewed James in a somewhat more negative light and will continue to do so. This degree of variability is part of why the story is so amazing.

#10 Posted by fox01313 (5088 posts) -

Hard to tell exactly what is going on in that SH game with all the crazy endings, you should just go for the dog ending & the game might make sense after that.

#11 Posted by CornBREDX (5838 posts) -

Jame's killed his wife. He could no longer deal with taking care of a sick woman, who was emotionally abusing him, and he suffocated her. What's really great about SH2 above all the others is how the whole game is a reflection of James' psyche.

Everyone has an interpretation, and there's some that are more concrete then others (based on the book with insight from the developers that came out several years ago) but what's always been fascinating to me is how none of the other games quite got that aspect of the game as well as SH2.

Anyway, imo there is no need to play SH1. The story is not the best, imo, and if you really want to know it I would recommend reading a synopsis somewhere instead. That being said, SH3 is fairly decent, but it does cover what you need to know from SH1 to explain any ties to that. So, just sayin'. You don't have to play SH1 if you don't want. IMO its the worst of the originals. And honestly the first games plot can be summed up fairly easily.

As someone already said, Homecoming is pretty shit. They apparently heard somewhere that some parts to SH were inspired by Jacob's Ladder and so they decided to make Jacob's Ladder- which was weird, but at some point they changed their mind and decided to make The Silent Hill Movie the game. Anyway, Homecoming is ok as a game, the story is kinda dumb, but mechanically it works better then most Silent Hill games. I don't recommend it but if you have it already you can at least try to get through it. I've not finished it, I found it to tedious. I've tried multiple times. Got very close to the the end though.

I've not finished Downpour yet, but I really like what its going for. It takes a lot of inspiration from older Silent Hill games, while adding in its own thing. I can't say its perfect, but if they're gonna call it Silent Hill it's the first I am ok with since SH4.

#12 Posted by IBurningStar (2190 posts) -

Well, the creators have said that the real endings are the UFO/Dog endings, so that should clear some things up. 

Now that the joke is out of the way I'm going to be serious here. James killed his wife due to how much of a burden should had become and because her sickness was turning here into a different person. Remember when you are leaving the hotel near the end and you can hear Mary being really abusive and angry at James for what seems like no good reason? There are a lot of complicated emotions behind James' action, but most people agree that James has some selfish motives in doing it. He put her out of his misery, not her own. He didn't want her to hurt anymore, and he could no longer live with it.  It is also debatable how much James loved Mary as a person, as opposed to how much he loved her body. The extremely sexual undertone of the enemies and some events gives a you a good idea of how James views women in general. Maybe the lack of sex is another thing that drove him to murder his wife? 

You can put up a solid argument for several different view points on the motives for all this and what it means. The game is pretty vague in areas. What we all can agree on is that James feels guilty. Everything he projects onto reality shows a man who regrets what he has done and is struggling to come to terms with it. James is also an unique character in that he doesn't have an incident or the actions of another person force him to come to Silent Hill. He imagines the letter (which slowly morphs into a blank sheet of paper as the game progresses) and is solely responsible for ending up in Silent Hill, showing that deep down in his subconscious he wanted to be punished.

I also believe that the In Water ending is the true ending, just because I think it fits the best tonely.

#13 Posted by handlas (2719 posts) -

I remember getting the Leave ending when I originally played the game. The only ending I ever got. I left somewhat dissatisfied. This time around I got the In Water ending which I found so much better.

#14 Edited by xyzygy (10065 posts) -

You should also mention that there are spoilers for Shadows of the Damned there because that's a game I want to play and it's (relatively) new, especially when compared to SH2. 

With that said, Mary was deathly sick and James didn't want to spend his life taking care of a woman who would eventually die. He considered that the time he would have spent taking care of her would be wasted, and wished death upon her to speed her process so he could go on living his life. There are serious moral implications here -  

Was he right to want to simply live out his life? Mary was burdening him, and when he first started seeing her he didn't know that he was in for a life of caretaking and urges which cannot be (without breaking his vows) acted upon. 

Did Mary WANT to die? Maybe she wanted to die but was too scared or weak, and after realizing how much of a burden she was on him, James would take too much pleasure in euthanasia. 

etc, etc...

These questions are why I consider this the most important game ever made. I ended up "getting" all of the endings, but my first was "In Water". As a 13 year old playing this game, I can tell you that I cried and it made me think about video games, music, films, and art in a completely different light.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.