A Silent Hill title to Feature Multiplayer?.. *hurl*

#1 Posted by Yummylee (21643 posts) -
I can't even... I mean this is also on a portable console, so there's that slight reassurance to remind that this isn't exactly one of the primary titles. But even still... a Silent Hill game, just any Silent Hill game.. with multiplayer? There's literally no details what-so-ever, but Silent Hill is meant to be the soloest of solo experiences; it melds within you, trying to make your skin crawl on the inside, giving you dozens of themes and psychological A-Bombs to totally twist your head around. What's more, they're meant to be scary with the oft-destruction of reality, and any kind of extra player input will always detract from that. I suppose it also clearly won't be a traditional Silent Hill game, with the action/adventure/puzzlin' sequences, but if it still sticks to what most people resonate with Silent Hill (again, the mind-fuckery, the manipulation, the isolated and convoluted story-lines), then multiplayer will stand as something far more disturbing and menacing a concept than anything the series has conjured up before. 

The series has been stuck in a really nasty ditch right now, and adding any sort of multiplayer is far from what they should be thinking up to improve the franchise.
#2 Edited by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1727 posts) -

Wow.  
You've said most of what needs to be said. 
That's just hilarious. 
#3 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

I was interested in this, thinking that they would make the multiplayer a unique experience. But then i saw the video. This just sucks.

#4 Edited by SoldierG654342 (1766 posts) -

@Abyssfull said:

The series has been stuck in a really nasty ditch right now, and adding any sort of multiplayer is far from what they should be thinking up to improve the franchise.

A grave is a certain kind of ditch, I suppose.

#5 Posted by Kiemoe (1055 posts) -

That looks bad, and I agree with you. But the "Silent Hill team" just doesn't exist anymore. The teams working on this game aren't ever going to do it the way we want them to, because they are just different people with different ideas. Maybe this game will be awesome in a different way? Probably not, from the look of it, but maybeeee?

#6 Posted by core1065 (543 posts) -
@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

Wow.  You've said most of what needs to be said. That's just hilarious. 

I just threw up in my mouth...
#7 Posted by Vrikk (901 posts) -

Damn it, I wanted to actually pre-order this, but now... ugh. It just looks bad. I guess Silent Hill 3 is the last good one in the series.

#8 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2490 posts) -

Aren't there about a dozen of these types of games out on PSN/XBL for $10-$15, who is going to pay $40 for this just because they slapped "Silent Hill" on the box?

Probably too many.

#9 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Hurl indeed.

#10 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3052 posts) -

While I agree that multiplayer is not what the series needs, I do think that multiplayer could be interesting in a Silent Hill setting. A Dead Space 2 or Left 4 Dead style monsters versus people scenario could be fun, but it would have to be original and fun enough to distinguish it from those other games. Maybe something like SH: Shattered Memories where the humans just have to flee (or maybe hide, like in Amnesia) and are pursued by monsters.

#11 Posted by ShaggE (6453 posts) -

I'm not one to go "OMG Y U MULTIPLAY!? GAME R RUIN!", but this really makes me think they've missed the point with this game. I don't know if the series can survive another bad installment...

#12 Posted by Yummylee (21643 posts) -

@ShaggE said:

I'm not one to go "OMG Y U MULTIPLAY!? GAME R RUIN!", but this really makes me think they've missed the point with this game. I don't know if the series can survive another bad installment...

It's basically all riding on Downpour. And while I can already tell it's not going to be the most refined game of the year, if it can at least pull through where it matters (the story, the atmosphere, the scares ect.) then the series may gradually improve from here and actually become somewhat relevant again.

#13 Posted by ShaggE (6453 posts) -

@Abyssfull said:

@ShaggE said:

It's basically all riding on Downpour. And while I can already tell it's not going to be the most refined game of the year, if it can at least pull through where it matters (the story, the atmosphere, the scares ect.) then the series may gradually improve from here and actually become somewhat relevant again.

Oops, thought this was about Downpour.

#14 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -
#15 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2490 posts) -

@Akrid: I would rather pay $40 for another 4-5 hours of that than the actual game.

#16 Posted by AndrewB (7614 posts) -

We should all agree to go back to Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. You make one great Silent Hill game since the series was at its apex (was that 2 or 3? I can't remember... I haven't even finished 2 yet), and then throw that progress out the window.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.