Vita gets its own take on Diablo

#1 Posted by BlackLagoon (1431 posts) -

So, Silent Hill: Book of Memories... So far the narrative on this has been dominated by oldschool Silent Hill fans bitching about how it's an insult to the franchise. But then, I get the impression that that's been the case for every Silent Hill game since... 3? So why don't we try something new:

The Vita is getting it's own exclusive 4 player co-op Diablo-esqe dungeon crawler from a well liked developer (Wayforward).

Looks pretty neat to me. Thoughts?

#2 Edited by jking47 (1211 posts) -

I would rather they just use another franchise, or make a new one if they want a 4 player co-op dungeon crawler. The game in that trailer is not a Silent Hill game.

#3 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -

That is the kind of ridiculousness I can get behind. 

#4 Posted by kiwi_whisker (127 posts) -

Yes, im a graphics whore - but that looks like PSP grade stuff. Perhaps it was a PSP game upshifted to Vita. Action just looked stiff and low-poly - I think the Vita could push things a bit further. An ACTUAL Diablo 3 on vita would be kick ass :)

#5 Posted by Doctorchimp (4076 posts) -

Oh man I'm gonna go buy a Vita right now!

Haha, this is so dumb. Who wants to play this game? Are you really that into pyramid head you don't care how he pops up? Also I'm really not getting a Diablo vibe in the slightest...

That just looks like an isometric beat-'em-up.

#6 Posted by VierasTalo (782 posts) -
@Doctorchimp said:

Oh man I'm gonna go buy a Vita right now!

Haha, this is so dumb. Who wants to play this game? Are you really that into pyramid head you don't care how he pops up? Also I'm really not getting a Diablo vibe in the slightest...

That just looks like an isometric beat-'em-up.

It has loot and equipment, apparently. The gameplay is straight out Diablo, except with beat-em-up controls as there is no mouse on the Vita.

That being said, this could go either way. It's obnoxious to use this license for the game, but I'll live if the game turns out fine.

#7 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (733 posts) -

This looks dumb as hell. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut..... I'm kinda interested. If the wrap-around story (if it has one, even) is interesting I might bite. I'm a Silent Hill junkie.

#8 Posted by BlackLagoon (1431 posts) -

@VierasTalo said:

It has loot and equipment, apparently.

And classes and randomized dungeons. Apparently there's enough procedurally generated content that you're supposed to be able to continue down the dungeon endlessly after beating the story, or you can go back and "rewrite" your story for a different ending.

#9 Posted by Landon (4143 posts) -

It kinda looks like Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. It could be a fun game, but I totally get why Silent Hill fans would be upset.

#10 Posted by Yummylee (21652 posts) -

I would find it both equally hilarious and depressing if this thing sells more than Downpour.

#11 Posted by yoshisaur (2723 posts) -

So it's a knock-off side title that shows the developers want to stretch their muscles and try new things out? I don't see why that's a problem. It irritates me when fans get all up in arms about the name being used when we all know that the game would just shift right under the radar if Silent Hill wasn't attached.

As long as it's got the feel of a Silent Hill game (graphics wise) I don't see much of a problem with using the name. I think it's obvious it's not a successor title to continue the story. So fans (nerds) getting their panties in a knot just don't have any thing else to bitch about right now.

#12 Posted by Dixego (385 posts) -

I have lost all faith in Silent Hill games by now. If they're able to make something fun even if it means raping the Silent Hill series, it's OK with me.

#13 Posted by MikeFightNight (1110 posts) -

That looks fucking stupid. Maybe I should buy a Vita...

#14 Posted by believer258 (11911 posts) -

If they can pull off a Metroid pinball game, then they can pull off a Silent Hill Diablo game.

#15 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

That voice is sexy. Also the game looks kinda like I took a crap on the Youtube player. But aside from that, and the fact that they only showed a couple seconds of gameplay. Its fine.

#16 Posted by BeachThunder (11942 posts) -

Personally, I'm hanging out for the Tetris visual novel and Street Fighter X Amnesia.

#17 Posted by RadioactiveGazz (98 posts) -

So you need to find 4 people who own a PS Vita (hard enough) and then all those need to agree to purchase this game and play it together. I have no comments in regards to this concept, and I have no stake in the Silent Hill franchise, but the odds on anyone playing 4 player seems pretty slim. Who on earth is this game for?

#18 Posted by BlackLagoon (1431 posts) -

@Dagbiker: It sounds like Laura Bailey. She's approaching Northian levels of ubiquitousness at this point.

#19 Posted by Shirogane (3574 posts) -

Er...doesn't the VIta already have Dungeon Hunter Alliance for this type of game?

#20 Posted by Yummylee (21652 posts) -

@BlackLagoon said:

@Dagbiker: It sounds like Laura Bailey. She's approaching Northian levels of ubiquitousness at this point.

Steve Blumian would be more appropriate. Nolan North is in a lot of stuff, but Steve Blum much more so fits the exaggeration of being in everything. Because he really does star in almost everything. Hell, according to our own wiki page, he's even been awarded a guinness world record for the amount of roles within video games he's done.

#21 Posted by Rowr (5657 posts) -

@Shirogane said:

Er...doesn't the VIta already have Dungeon Hunter Alliance for this type of game?

Yes.

As we all know there can be only one type of game per console as is the rules of video games.

And vita is stuck for the rest of its days with dungeon hunter alliance.

And you suck.

#22 Posted by BlackLagoon (1431 posts) -

@Shirogane said:

That's an grossly over priced port of the PSN version of a Gameloft game that has its roots on the iPhone. I don't think the two are in any way comparable.

#23 Posted by Brodehouse (9950 posts) -

If people are mad about this, they should be retroactively mad about the light gun game as well.

I'd like a Silent Hill kart racer. Join Harry, Heather, Murphy and Pyramid Head in 16 tracks of mind-melting psychological racing action! Use power ups like health drinks, lead pipes, and red shells! Do a power slide over Cynthia's horrific concussion eyes! Search for a piece of wire, a wax doll and a lighter in order to open up short cuts! Finishing Track 3 requires a working knowledge of Shakespeare and music theory!

#24 Posted by Shirogane (3574 posts) -

@Rowr: Wow, overreaction much? That was just pointing out that this isn't the first game of this type on the Vita.

#25 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

I liked the Wii virgin , cant they just do that again.

#26 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

Neat, not exactly Silent Hill per say but that doesn"t automatically make it suck

#27 Posted by Hailinel (24809 posts) -

I didn't ask for this.

#28 Posted by BlackLagoon (1431 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

Steve Blumian would be more appropriate. Nolan North is in a lot of stuff, but Steve Blum much more so fits the exaggeration of being in everything. Because he really does star in almost everything.

Does he? Star, I mean... Because while he's in everything, I doesn't feel like like he's had his OMG he's staring in everything period like North had, and Laura Bailey and Troy Baker are in now.

#29 Posted by Zygoatsalami (57 posts) -

@BlackLagoon said:

@VierasTalo said:

It has loot and equipment, apparently.

And classes and randomized dungeons. Apparently there's enough procedurally generated content that you're supposed to be able to continue down the dungeon endlessly after beating the story, or you can go back and "rewrite" your story for a different ending.

Okay, well if there are procedurally generated dungeons with an endless function then it might be worth taking a look at. I just wish that the graphics looked a little better, because I think it does look a bit PSP-ish.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.