Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Silent Hill: Downpour

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Mar 13, 2012

The eighth game in the esteemed survival-horror franchise sees convict Murphy Pendleton escape captivity and flee into the much greater danger of the cursed town of Silent Hill.

A little more Downpour gameplay for ya.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

Honestly, I'm just so glad this is making all of this progress. With the news of yet another developer (moving from Homecoming) at the helm, no Akira and virtually noone from the original Team-Silent left at the wheel, it all sounded ripe for a gloriously gritty train wreck cycle. But here we are! Trailers everywhere, gameplay clips that look like they're ready to ship, and a certified Fall release this year. 

This clip shows a little more of transitioning from the real world to the Other World, and the atmosphere it entails - which looks gorgeous... in that creepy, rusty Silent Hill way. It also shows off a couple of the mind-fuckery segments that are always expected to crop up in a Silent Hill game, like an awesome trick where the end of the hallway that Murphy is running down keeps stretching ahead making the end nigh impossible. The sound effects are a great source of mood too, with the horrible clanking and screeching permeating all over as Murphy's being chased by some kind of.. thing. Which was made all the better that you couldn't really see whatever it was that was chasing you; the creepy groans that sound likes someones trying to push something very large across a metal floor was all you needed to know this fucker will murder you. 

Murphy's voice is given a clearer perspective too, and according to a lot of fansites, it's also apparently Solid Snake himself who's pulling the vocal cords. I can't really judge, since without his ''METAL... GEEEAAAAR'' voice, David Hayter has one of the most plain ass American voices I've ever heard. 

If there is one problem I'd take from this is the running. It almost reminds of the Formula 1 sprint from Harry Potter and The Half Blood Prince. He kinda just slides through the environments and the camera is a little too close to Murphy. Plus he's so damn fast! I mean sure he's running for his life, but to set in that feeling of fear, either the enemies better be just as agile on their feet or Murphy will at least tire out like a good Silent Hill protagonists should. 

Oh and yeah, the combat looks to be fucking rank. But really, that's almost an invalid complaint given how the combat was always less of a factor. Besides, this way it'll promote you to just run away more, which is exactly the reaction that a Silent Hill game should be forcing upon you. Long as the atmosphere is solid (which definitely looks as much) and the story is all kinds of twisted with 15 different endings, then that'll sell me on a well done Silent Hill game. 
    buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By buft

looks very action orientated,not shooting specifically but running and melee. im not 100% sold

Avatar image for dr_shiggityshwa
    Dr_shiggityshwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Dr_shiggityshwa

That second video, just wow. I had real hope after the first trailer but after seeing the gameplay videos I'm not so sure anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

God, why would you show that combat trailer to anyone? That should be your dirty little secret that you don't let anyone know until the release day reviews are out.

Running sequence looks intense, though.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Spoonman671

I forgot this game existed.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Looks alright. I'm one of the few people who liked Homecoming quite a bit, so if they can improve on that, I'll be happy.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By TwoLines

Wow, combat looks really bad. And did I hear a Doom sound 45 seconds in? Also, doesn't look very scary.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

When is this coming out?

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By UnrealDP

Man, if this game does any better than Alan Wake did that'll be a damn shame. I know this game isn't even out yet and it's a little early to judge, but besides the Silent hill name this game isn't looking good in any way other than atmosphere and all run up coverage on Alan wake was nothing but good solid combat and really good atmosphere.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Doctorchimp

@UnrealDP said:

Man, if this game does any better than Alan Wake did that'll be a damn shame. I know this game isn't even out yet and it's a little early to judge, but besides the Silent hill name this game isn't looking good in any way other than atmosphere and all run up coverage on Alan wake was nothing but good solid combat and really good atmosphere.

Well there's an opinion.

I thought the combat was dull as hell and the atmosphere was ruined by dull combat, so judging this game already seems a little rash...

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By UnrealDP

@Doctorchimp:

I meant that Alan Wake had really good looking combat that looked fun and solid while also having some really good intrigue and amazing atmosphere in the run up coverage/trailers, but this just looks like good atmosphere and very bad combat. Besides the name "Silent hill" this game doesn't have a lot going for it or at least from what they've shown. But these are all just opinions and i've never gotten my hands on this game before, so i guess i can't judge too much, but i can't see my self ever getting this game and if the combat lives up to what is demonstrated in this trailer then i don't see why anyone would want this game.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Yummylee

@Brodehouse said:

God, why would you show that combat trailer to anyone? That should be your dirty little secret that you don't let anyone know until the release day reviews are out.

Running sequence looks intense, though.

This trailer could very well of stayed in seclusion if you yourself hadn't bumped this almost 2 month old thread so... there's blood on both of our hands!

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By wickedsc3

Looks pretty good, I love theses games so this is pretty much sold.

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#14  Edited By KillyDarko

I'm just sad it's no longer coming out on the PC :(
    Also, the combat looks terrible.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kingzetta

This is the first Silent Hill game that actually looks like a game

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Yummylee

@kingzetta said:

wut

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NTM

I have mixed feelings about this. I can't wait to play the Silent Hill 2 and 3 HD collection, but this game has a very last gen feel to it. Realistically, I guess it may be valid, but in the game, him saying "What the fuck" all the time is pretty dumb. The atmosphere does look alright though. The first video was like a mix between what you see in Silent Hill, and the Max Payne nightmares in Max Payne.  

I wouldn't say this looks like crap, but it doesn't necessarily look great. I may turn out to be wrong, but this doesn't look like it'll get scored high either, maybe in high sevens to low sixes. GameSpot will either give it a 6.5 or 7.0, while IGN will give it somewhere in the same. Not that those matter, but I'm just predicting from what I see here. Although this doesn't look that great from a technical stand-point, I'm still somewhat interested as of right now. 

Oh and if Giantbomb reviews it, it may get either three, or if they truly look past its faults, a four.

link_dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By link_dc

The pacing looks painfully fast. It seems, so far, that they traded in any potential for artifice for simply doing things that seem shallowly interesting (e.g. the extending hallway). All this is pretty normal for a game, but under the Silent Hill name it is pretty disappointing.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kingzetta
    @Abyssfull said:

@kingzetta said:

wut

it looks way more playable than past games
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Yummylee

@kingzetta said:

@Abyssfull said:

@kingzetta said:

wut

it looks way more playable than past games

Oh, well that was kind of a stupid way to put it. And when's the last time you've played a Silent Hill game? I mean for starters this actually looks to feature combat that's even worse than previous entries. Plus I don't really see what made previous SH games unplayable by any means, either.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.