Get Korn out of Silent Hill Downpour

#1 Edited by Calculating_Infinity (63 posts) -

So it was recently announced that Korn are doing the theme song for Silent Hill, one hell of a drop from people like Akira and Daniel Licth.

Petitions rarely works but sometimes it is worth the little hope it gives, Korn got no place in silent hill and I hope some of my fellow giantbomb users will support the petition. This is a bad case of Konami completely misunderstanding their fans, franchise and just giving the middle finger to everyone involved with the game.

http://www.petitiononline.com/Kornami

( I couldn't find anything saying petitions are not allowed, if they aren't please forgive me and delete the thread).

#2 Posted by YetiAntics (1489 posts) -

PETITIONS! ALERT THE INTERNET!

#3 Posted by CandiBunni (465 posts) -

I love Korn, but I don't know if their music would really fit in a Silent Hill game.

#4 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3023 posts) -

Korn?  Really?  Jesus, they really scraped the bottom of the barrell, didn't they?  How do you go from Akira Yamaoka to that?

#5 Edited by Brodehouse (9636 posts) -

If by theme song they mean the end credits music, that's fine.  Dragon Age Origins had a 30 Seconds to Mars song, but by the time it came up (after 40 hours of fantasy adventure) it was just this kind of amusing oddity.   "Giving the middle finger" by including a (once) popular band is an extreme stretch.

If it plays over the opening cutscene or the main menu then I'll be somewhat put off.

Also, there's no point in a petition.  That money has already exchanged hands.  The deal was signed a year ago, that's business.

#6 Edited by Yummylee (21294 posts) -

Is Silent Hill as much as The Shit as Haze was? Also yes, fuck those guys POST like 2001, and fuck them forever from Silent Hill. I be signing for whatever it's worth, which is most likely little.

#7 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7056 posts) -

So they wanted a band they thought was heavy and they picked KORN?! The fuck? Hell, even Insane Shadow Planet got music from Dimmu Borgir.

#8 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

To me, gaming is a religion, and Silent Hill is the shit!

#9 Posted by shinigami420 (640 posts) -

i approve of this !!!!

#10 Posted by Toms115 (2316 posts) -

korn more like THE BEST FUCKING BAND EVER YOU PIECE OF SHIT FUCK YOU I LOVE KORN

#11 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1174 posts) -

@SlashseveN303 said:

Beat me to it.

#12 Edited by TotalEklypse (1000 posts) -

Well look at it this way. At least they could use the extra money they saved, on game development, by hiring those clowns. I mean no one would have to pay them that much to excrete some chord mashing nonsense they are known for.

#13 Posted by bartok (2430 posts) -

I admit Silent Hill has fallen off the tracks but getting Korn is not the way you save a franchise.  At least I learned that Korn is still a thing.

#14 Posted by dawnclover (104 posts) -

This petition might not change much, because contracts have probably already been signed and money moved, but even if it's a small chance, I'm signing. I also shared this on the silent hill facebook and other pages. We never know... 

#15 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

You know the definition of insanity? 

#16 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
@StaticFalconar said:
You know the definition of insanity? 
Listening to KoRn?
#17 Posted by wickedsc3 (1046 posts) -

Have you even heard the songs yet? If not, why not seen what the songs actually are? They might surprise you.

#18 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3576 posts) -

As long as there aren't vocals, I think Johnathan Davis could perhaps write a good opening theme.  That's probably not what fans are going to get, though.  Lyrically, I think Korn would be an awful fit for the series. 

Now the Deftones however...

#19 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

@CandiBunni said:

I love Korn, but I don't know if their music would really fit in a Silent Hill game.

I feel the same. Love Korn, but Akira is obviously the only choice. The "Issue" era Korn might've been able to pull it off. They've changed so much since then.

#20 Posted by Monte (229 posts) -

Korn has some pretty good songs. Even if you don't like them, don't call them shit. I seriously am getting fucking pissed of at all the assholes on this site who are so judgmental. 

#21 Posted by WoodenPlatypus (1365 posts) -
@monte
u mad? 

Korn? Lord. 
That would be ot of place.
#22 Posted by FreakAche (2950 posts) -

Petitions for me are like a religion...

#23 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

They're probably going to play it over the trailers or credits or something, because the score is being composed by the dude who did Dexter.

#24 Edited by dawnclover (104 posts) -
#25 Posted by Hailinel (23951 posts) -

Korn music in Silent Hill?

Save us, Yamaoka!

#26 Edited by abdo (1037 posts) -
@SlashseveN303 said:

Shit (n): see 'Haze'.
#27 Posted by PandaBear (1310 posts) -

Meh, I like Korn and I love Silent Hill (2 is the best) ... but really, even if they got some pile of shit band (like 30 Seconds to Mars) to do either and opening or closing song I couldn't give a shit. It's not like it'll affect 99% of the game ... seriously, a petition? For this?

Get over it, or if it offends you that much vote with your dollar and don't buy the game. If enough people give a shit they won't buy it either. Korn have probably signed a legally binding contract by now anyway.

#28 Posted by innacces14 (735 posts) -

Oh fuck YES!! I was just listening to the Haze discussion on The HotSpot and couldn't be more happier for this!! lol

#29 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1766 posts) -

That is really unfortunate.

#30 Edited by Philosoma (109 posts) -
#31 Posted by Bones8677 (3213 posts) -

Of all the stupid things to make a petition for...

#32 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

Korn could potentially make an atmospheric theme that works for the feel of the game. I'll wait to pass judgement until I hear it.

#33 Posted by habster3 (3595 posts) -

KoRn's not THAT bad. They used to be amazing, and they have fallen downhill in the last eight or so years (Y'all Want a Single is pretty good, though), but they aren't the shit band you accuse them of being. While they wouldn't be the best choice for the series, a petition to stop them from performing sounds a little over-the-top. Seriously.

#34 Posted by MisterChief (831 posts) -

They're just trying to hit up the kind of rush they get from the game.

#35 Edited by IBurningStar (2160 posts) -

Every time I hear that a band is providing a song for a game I immediately think of Adema and Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance. So I guess I'm not to thrilled with this announcement. Still, I'm going to hold out hope that this won't be a total abomination. Maybe it will be a more ambient instrumental piece than their normal stuff.

Edit: Added video for reference.

#36 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -
@monte said:
Korn has some pretty good songs. Even if you don't like them, don't call them shit. I seriously am getting fucking pissed of at all the assholes on this site who are so judgmental. 
Then leave? There's plenty of other sites where we can all be politcally correct and not share opinions that aren't positive because life isn't a giant rainbow.
#37 Posted by DonChipotle (2696 posts) -

I always figured that Portishead should be the band to make a theme song for a Silent Hill game. Get them to do it.

#38 Posted by FesteringNeon (2158 posts) -

I made this 5 years ago, and while completely amateur in production, it seems like it'd fit the tone better than Korn. I don't mean to come across as narcissistic, but it's weird not to think of Silent Hill when hearing this again.

Find more artists like Element of Inertia at Myspace Music

and this could be in there somewhere during the intense parts?...

#39 Posted by Lukeweizer (2611 posts) -

This is helping me hit up that kind of rush for Silent Hill.

#40 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Korn has no place in Silent Hill.  Or anywhere for that matter.
#41 Posted by piropeople13 (399 posts) -

Has anybody heard it?  It might be okay give them the benefit of the doubt.

#42 Posted by Hailinel (23951 posts) -

@piropeople13 said:

Has anybody heard it? It might be okay give them the benefit of the doubt.

When I think Silent Hill, I think creepy, atmospheric music. I don't think "band that expended what remained of their popularity on a hilarious ill-conceived tie-in song for Haze."

#43 Posted by chrissedoff (2075 posts) -
@monte said:
korn is no bueno dude
#44 Posted by piropeople13 (399 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

@piropeople13 said:

Has anybody heard it? It might be okay give them the benefit of the doubt.

When I think Silent Hill, I think creepy, atmospheric music. I don't think "band that expended what remained of their popularity on a hilarious ill-conceived tie-in song for Haze."

Ha, I actually bought Haze 

:(
#45 Posted by SBYM (1219 posts) -

No way, dude. The only way this game is selling any copies is if they Яeplace all theiЯ cЯappy music with KoЯn songs. Quit youЯ bitchin'.

#46 Posted by crevisjr (28 posts) -

I would have thought this a bad idea to be honest, but having heard Korn's latest track I am finding them the most listen-able I have in years. Although the concerns of the music style not matching the game is perfectly valid. But hey...I am all for experiments.

#47 Posted by Agent47 (1894 posts) -
@Calculating_Infinity: I usually don't like this petition stuff but I'm game for this, signed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.