Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Silent Hill HD Collection

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Mar 20, 2012

The second and third Silent Hill games come to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in Silent Hill HD Collection with new high-definition graphics and voice acting.

So how bad are these ports?

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Sackmanjones

After reading that I will be getting the original Silent Hill thanks to PSN, I was very curious on picking this up and possibly Downpour in the future.  Unfortunately, I keep reading that these are terrible ports especially on ps3.  So for somebody who has never played these games would it ruin the experience? I'm not asking about the quality of the games per say, they seem to be well received as far as survival horror is concerned (big fan of the genre). Is there any talk of a patch to fix these issues? Thanks for the help bombers

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By xyzygy

I think the HD collection looks fine. I haven't seen the PS3 version in motion though so I may be speaking too soon.

Duecenage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Duecenage

They seem fine to me. I see some issues, but they'd matter more to someone who as played them before. As someone new to the games, your not going to notice much, other than lipsync issues, but they didn't affect my experience.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @xyzygy@Duecenage:  Would you say its a good idea to play the first one before I get this. PSN+ is giving it for free in early April. I may not be able to finish it due to how dated it is but should I at least give it a shot? Also have either of you played downpour and if so how was that?
    Duecenage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Duecenage

Definitely play the first one. My only issue with how dated it seems was the over-produced footstep sound effects. They were very repetive and got a bit much here and there, but it was still a great game overall.

Downpour has been amazing so far. I'm really digging the story. It has a blend of some of the best elements of previous Silent Hills. Scenes where you're just running, like in Shattered Memories and the combat has been the least annoying so far. A block button goes a long way. I'm really stoked to continue playing it.

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By NekuCTR

Id say wait till April, and use a guide to get through 1. certain scenes in 3 mean a lot more if you played the first game.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NTM

@Sackmanjones said:

@xyzygy: @Duecenage: Would you say its a good idea to play the first one before I get this. PSN+ is giving it for free in early April. I may not be able to finish it due to how dated it is but should I at least give it a shot? Also have either of you played downpour and if so how was that?

I've never played the stuff after the original (other than some of The Room), although I would love to, but you should know that even though the original is old, it's actually still quite scary. I think even though I haven't played the sequels, I can still answer this question, and I believe you should definitely play through the original. I was surprised at how great it was. I've never really been into the old RE games, but I've seen my brother play all of them multiple times through, and beat a few myself, but I guess it turns out Silent Hill is more my style, 'cause to me it seems it has aged better than the old RE's. Do not! I repeat, do not let the game's age get to you. Hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised. You have to give it time too. If you ever find yourself getting lost, don't give up on it, you'll be grateful that you didn't. It's kind of sad to see it's been going downhill after three though.

Sait0u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sait0u

Lots of people are complaining about it but I think it's fine. I'm happy with my purchase. I also agree you should play 1.

Glad to hear Downpour you're enjoying Downpour, playing the HD collection has made me want to give it a shot. I'll pick it up after I finish the collection.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @NTM said:

@Sackmanjones said:

@xyzygy: @Duecenage: Would you say its a good idea to play the first one before I get this. PSN+ is giving it for free in early April. I may not be able to finish it due to how dated it is but should I at least give it a shot? Also have either of you played downpour and if so how was that?

I've never played the stuff after the original (other than some of The Room), although I would love to, but you should know that even though the original is old, it's actually still quite scary. I think even though I haven't played the sequels, I can still answer this question, and I believe you should definitely play through the original. I was surprised at how great it was. I've never really been into the old RE games, but I've seen my brother play all of them multiple times through, and beat a few myself, but I guess it turns out Silent Hill is more my style, 'cause to me it seems it has aged better than the old RE's. Do not! I repeat, do not let the game's age get to you. Hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised. You have to give it time too. If you ever find yourself getting lost, don't give up on it, you'll be grateful that you didn't. It's kind of sad to see it's been going downhill after three though.

Thanks for the tip! I am actually a huge RE fan myself and have always known about the Silent Hill series but never got around to playing them.  Given the fact I was too young to play the first Resident Evil, the first Silent hill game looked terrifying to me.  But since I am a big survival horror fan Ive decided I should probably dip into these games.  As for the age, I have played through all the PSone RE games no later than a year ago so thats no issue, I was just truly interested on how it was. Again thanks for the help! 

@Duecenage: Cool, maybe if this catches on I will try to pick it up on an amazon sale in the future
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xyzygy

@Sackmanjones: I have only played 3 games, in this order 2 - 3 - Homecoming. I tried to play the first a few years ago but couldn't because it just wasn't doing anything for me. 2 is just fucking brilliant.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @xyzygy Are the games mostly puzzles or is it pretty even between that and creepy atmosphere and running/fighting?
    Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Commisar123

Reviews seem pretty favorable actually and I have no reason to think that they would be bad ports

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TentPole

I think this is one of the worst and laziest of all the HD ports.

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By groin

There are issues with some of the graphics. The left side is the HD collection. You can see the edges of the world.

No Caption Provided
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xyzygy

@Sackmanjones said:

@xyzygy Are the games mostly puzzles or is it pretty even between that and creepy atmosphere and running/fighting?

Well, Silent Hill 2 presents a very open world type game. You don't have to necessarily go directly to your mission because you can explore the parts of the town that gradually open up on you. There are puzzles but I wouldn't say it's focused on them. I'd say 2 leans more on exploration and combat than puzzles.

However, 3 is a different story. My experience with it was underwhelming, especially coming off of 2. Characters aren't as memorable (especially the protagonist and antagonist, both are very annoying and shallow - compared to James and the antagonists from 2), the game is ridiculously short (I beat it in 5 hours 56 minutes :/ ) and there is far less exploration. And the story wasn't even that great. I don't remember any of the puzzles from 3 but I do know there are some in there.

Homecoming however is much more focused on puzzles I found.

@groin: Wow, that's a little disappointing, but to the games credit you wouldn't really be seeing the edge of the game world very much, right? Just around the very edge of the map, and the percentage of time you spend there is pretty small in comparison.

Grivah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Grivah

@groin: As I've said in previous threads of this forum, the reduced fog only happens through Computer controlled moments like that, the fog comes right back in once you gain control of your character. The CG scenes still have the same amount of fog and blurriness as the original as well as the normal gameplay of Silent Hill 2. People need to understand that the fog only gets reduced with computer controlled scenes such as this and the Rest Stop at the beginning of the game.

Edit: And there is a glitch in the game where once you skip a cutscene, slowly but surely over time with how many times you skip cutscenes the lips become more and more out of sync as the game goes on, so I suggest not skipping them until (hopefully) a patch comes out. So far that is the only real problem with the game that I have encountered. Mind you this is for the XBOX360 version of the game and only Silent Hill 2 that I have played, haven't ventured into Silent hill 3 yet.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TentPole

@Grivah said:

@groin: As I've said in previous threads of this forum, the reduced fog only happens through Computer controlled moments like that, the fog comes right back in once you gain control of your character. The CG scenes still have the same amount of fog and blurriness as the original as well as the normal gameplay of Silent Hill 2. People need to understand that the fog only gets reduced with computer controlled scenes such as this and the Rest Stop at the beginning of the game.

Based on my experience this is not true. More so in 3 than in 2.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CptBedlam

@Commisar123 said:

Reviews seem pretty favorable actually and I have no reason to think that they would be bad ports

Because most revievers are just lazy and didn't compare the games to the originals.

These ports look like shit in comparison to the originals. It's beyond me how someone doesn't see that. Textures are worse, fog looks like shit, water looks like a graphical glitch, effects like self-shadowing and depth of field are missing, cinematics are just stretched, sound problems are even worse that the graphical problems, etc....

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CptBedlam

@Grivah said:

Wrong. The fog always looks like shit in comparison to the originals. Fog effects are always way worse and it looks like you pushing a rotating wall in front of your character.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MikeGosot
    @groin said:

There are issues with some of the graphics. The left side is the HD collection. You can see the edges of the world.

No Caption Provided
    These flaws are PS3 only, right? RIGHT!?
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CptBedlam

@MikeGosot: No, but only the PS3 has performance issues on top of the terrible visuals.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MikeGosot
    @CptBedlam said:

@MikeGosot: No, but only the PS3 has performance issues on top of the terrible visuals.

Huge bummer. Looks like i'll need to hunt the originals and take the dust off my PS2.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CptBedlam

Watch both videos and compare the fog during normal gameplay:

HD Port (fog looks like a rotating wall):

Original on PS2 (lots of swirling for effects, fog looks natural):

Grivah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Grivah

@CptBedlam: I'm not arguing that it's not a lazy port, or that the fog looks any better than the original while playing. I'm just saying that it is not reduced in Silent Hill 2 gameplay as this picture shows in a cutscene.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CptBedlam

@Grivah: There definitely a whole lot of fog effects missing during normal gameplay.

And the water looks like a glitch: http://i.minus.com/i3Ph4CpiXrvX8.gif

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

New textures are too clean and boring (also, notice the new background which looks way worse):

No Caption Provided

Here's a nice comparison gif for SH3 (it's almost like someone switched off the atmosphere in the HD versione): http://h9.abload.de/img/a87x4i.gif

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Three0neFive

@CptBedlam: Holy shit, that's terrible.

Grivah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Grivah

@CptBedlam: I'll confirm if this part is on the XBOX360 as well later, I'm about an hour from that segment, I'll be sad if so :(

Edit: and that is true, it looks like in the past ten years since Silent Hill 2 that the construction crew showed up and repaved the roads.

PsychoSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PsychoSoldier

The fog effect is rather laughable in the town section of SH3. It's basically a solid white wall that cuts the screen off ten feet in front of your character and scrolls when you run towards it. Thankfully there is barely any fog in the game in the first place. The game got worse on my second play through when I decided to test out the unlimited smg and it decide to screw up the audio and lag the game play for several seconds after I was done firing it.

@xyzygy said:

However, 3 is a different story. My experience with it was underwhelming, especially coming off of 2. Characters aren't as memorable (especially the protagonist and antagonist, both are very annoying and shallow - compared to James and the antagonists from 2), the game is ridiculously short (I beat it in 5 hours 56 minutes :/ ) and there is far less exploration. And the story wasn't even that great. I don't remember any of the puzzles from 3 but I do know there are some in there.

Well, both games are actually pretty damn short considering each one has an achievement for beating them in under three hours.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CptBedlam

@Grivah said:

Edit: and that is true, it looks like in the past ten years since Silent Hill 2 that the construction crew showed up and repaved the roads.

What a terrible work environment.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30  Edited By Castiel

Jesus they really fucked this one up. I haven't ever played any of the SH games, but thought I might pick this up, but now I don't think so. It's remarkable how they actually made the HD collection look worse than the originals.

I really liked the gritty/grainy look.

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By BasketSnake

I played the original SH1 for the first time about a week ago. It was great. Would I be better off playing 3 before 2? Since 3 is apparently "underwhelming". I honestly don't care too much about it but what do you think?

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32  Edited By dichemstys

Dude, PS+ gets Silent Hill free. Thanks, for telling us that. :)

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CptBedlam

@BasketSnake said:

I played the original SH1 for the first time about a week ago. It was great. Would I be better off playing 3 before 2? Since 3 is apparently "underwhelming". I honestly don't care too much about it but what do you think?

SH3 is practically a sequel to SH1 and it's a really good game. So yes, you should play it and now is the best time since you just finished SH1. The notion that SH3 was underwhelming stems mainly from the fact that SH3 was not as amazing as SH2 - a game you should definitely play as well. Just try to get the original PS2 versions.

Grivah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Grivah

Just completed the Boat Scene, it's just as bad as the PS3 video above on the XBOX360.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @birdflu777: No problem!
    StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By StrikeALight

SH2 is currently kicking my ass. Only mid-way during the apartments, and I can't remember the normal combat difficulty being this tough. Three bites to the ankles and I'm toast.

I'm gonna have to wimp out and set it to Easy combat.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#37  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I'm noticing a few stuttering issues on the PS3 version, but other than that, it seems pefectly fine.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By StrikeALight

@Creamypies said:

I'm noticing a few stuttering issues on the PS3 version, but other than that, it seems pefectly fine.

Yeah, interestingly enough, same here. Also no title update (EU PS3 version).

Asseroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Asseroth

@MikeGosot: No.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By CptBedlam

@Creamypies: Except for the terrible visual downgrade. I wouldn't call that perfectly fine.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By StrikeALight

@CptBedlam said:

@Creamypies: Except for the visual downgrade.

The fog looks really crappy. Its there, but its unconvincing. I'm sure the Toluca Lake scene is going to have the same impact as the original...

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By CptBedlam

@StrikeALight: Are you kidding? The "graphics glitch" look of the scene totally completely destroys the mood and atmosphere there. And the distant light looks like a cartoon star.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By StrikeALight

@CptBedlam said:

@StrikeALight: Are you kidding? The "graphics glitch" look of the scene totally completely destroys the mood and atmosphere there. And the distant light looks like a cartoon star.

Yeah, I was just being facetious. That scene looks terribad!

BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BPRJCTX

@CptBedlam said:

@Grivah: There definitely a whole lot of fog effects missing during normal gameplay.

And the water looks like a glitch: http://i.minus.com/i3Ph4CpiXrvX8.gif

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

New textures are too clean and boring (also, notice the new background which looks way worse):

No Caption Provided

Here's a nice comparison gif for SH3 (it's almost like someone switched off the atmosphere in the HD versione): http://h9.abload.de/img/a87x4i.gif

Well, thankyou.

I was going to buy it, but, i guess you just saved me some money.

But i'm still sad...

kosayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#45  Edited By kosayn

The glitches and the arbitrary art changes - you may be bothered by them, you may not. But the lag on the PS3 version is the worst I've seen this generation. It's frequent, and in SH3, it's definitely going to interfere with any melee combat you were planning on doing.

I discourage anyone from buying it for PS3. I am stuck with mine, no returns at my retailer and no response yet from Konami customer support.

I can't recommend the PC versions either. Getting them in widescreen is a complicated .EXE editing process which must partially be repeated each time you want to play - not convenient at all. And the quality once you get that done... I think it's not so great, to be honest, both for the interface and the game's performance.

Get the PS2 versions. So much about them is more effective. Or the Xbox versions if you still have a functional Xbox, I hear reports that the originals don't play well on the 360.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#46  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I haven't had any problems with them.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By StrikeALight

@Bloodgraiv3 said:

I haven't had any problems with them.

The US PS3 edition is apparently FUBAR. The EU version runs fine (except the occassional frame rate dip) and didn't require any additional patching.

How they mananged this, I do not know.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.