Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Silent Hill: Homecoming

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 30, 2008

This installment of Silent Hill sees a new character, Alex Shepherd, returning home from military service to find his family in disarray. To save his brother, Josh, he must enter the macabre town of Silent Hill.

Did fans enjoy the movie?

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Vinchenzo

You know, the SH movie that came out a couple years ago. Or 2. Not sure, but it sure seemed forgettable. I just grabbed one of the DVDs from my store (we had free movies for those who pre-ordered this game) and am watching the behind-the-scenes. The writers claimed they wanted to keep the spirit of Silent Hill intact and consequently intense, scary, etc. I myself have never touched a game in the series, I'm not always into horror games. Therefore I wanted to know what people thought of the movie and reasons why they hated or liked it.

My personal favorite scene was the Bogeyman ripping the girls skin off.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Black_Rose

I'm not a fan but i walked out of it and I've never bothered to finish watching it.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By pause422

Which is why you enjoyed the RE movies.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By PureRok

I like both the Silent Hill movie (mainly because Sean Bean is my favorite actor) and SH4. I've never played any of the SH games, but I've watched someone playing SH4 and I'd actually play that one (the apartment was my favorite place... or "the room").

ICF_19XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By ICF_19XX

I like it. It certainly doesn't hurt that they used Akira Yamaoka's music throughout, save for Ring of Fire by Johnny Cash.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By kush

I am not someone who knows much about the series, so I went into the movie with no expectations. I found that the film was rather stupid and not that interesting, but I thought the visual style and the effects were great. I really wanted to see a sequel because I believed that there was chance for a good movie to come out of this SH "world".

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Meowayne

For everything the movie did right, it did something wrong. The one major downside is that it simply wasn't scary, making it rather pointless. It did get the looks right (mostly), but it didn't do anything it. It was rather shallow and boring, which is as far from the games as you can get.
    I'm not complaining about how they should have told the game's story instead... I'm all for using only certain elements and telling one's own story, but... it was a very simple story, told very unsubtly.

I enjoyed it, mainly due to fanservice. But in retrospect, it's disappointing.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By jakob187

I liked the movie a lot.  The thing is that you can't go into a movie based on a video game and expect them to make the video game with actors and a movie camera.  If so, of course you will be disappointed.  I think Christopher Gans did a brilliant job of capturing the Silent Hill world while offering up a very twisted vision of it from his own PoV.  Radha Mitchell was excellent for the role, and there were enough little things in the movie that made me happy.

Is it like any of the Silent Hill games?  It's not the same story exactly to the T, and if that's what you want, then sorry you were disappointed.  I went into the movie wanting something that was unsettling in some ways, intense in other ways, and was just overall a good fucked-up story.  I got exactly that.  Was it scary?  Eh, not really...but I think our culture has gotten to the point that there is little to scare us anymore.  I enjoyed the movie for what it was, and being a fan of Gans' helped a ton.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Meowayne
    jakob187 said:
      The thing is that you can't go into a movie based on a video game and expect them to make the video game with actors and a movie camera.
    Yes, this is the worst thing you can do. Stay too close to the source material and you end up wasting chances to use the medium you're telling a story in. Be creative and be willing to change things.

However, Christophe Gans and Roger Avary did a bad job at that, too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.