Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Silent Hill: Homecoming

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 30, 2008

This installment of Silent Hill sees a new character, Alex Shepherd, returning home from military service to find his family in disarray. To save his brother, Josh, he must enter the macabre town of Silent Hill.

F-ing finally

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By vidiot

I don't know who Leigh Alexander is, but I've never nodded my head in agreement with so many points in an article in a long time. I suggest if you still are on the fence about this game to read her rant about reviews on Homecoming:

http://sexyvideogameland.blogspot.com/2008/09/coming-home.html

I completely agree. It's quite clear that Double Helix did they're homework creating Homecoming. The game has problems, but it's pro's easily outweigh any of it's cons. It's not unbelievable, but it's not terrible, nor is it mediocre. It's most defiantly worth playing.

I loved the quotes at the end. I think Silent Hill 4 is going to have a future similar to that of Silent Hill 2. Just a reminder everyone: A lot of people, myself included revere the second installment in the series to be the best. We tend to forget this was not the case when the game was released:

"Instead of the brain-bending adventure with scares and gore that I had so desperately hoped for, it turned out to be a sloppy, monotonous bore that nearly put me to sleep."
    -- Game Informer

"Silent Hill 2's gameplay mechanics are no different than those of any other game ever slapped with the 'survival-horror' tag. You'll whack legions of the same four or so enemy types, using the same familiar array of blunt objects, pistols, and shotguns; get Medallions A, B, and C; put them in Statue D, which opens Door E; walk through Door E; repeat until numb. You'll fight awkward camera angles as much as freaky bad things... fans of the original will be disappointed that not much is new." -- GamePro

"The action, though, is simply repetitive, as even the most common creatures must be bludgeoned repeatedly to 'kill' them (and there are a lot of creatures)." -- Next Generation

"The pacing can be a little languid at times, and the combat and movement controls could use some tweaking. Also, this game feels a little linear and lacking in extras when compared to the original." -- GameCritics

"Flawed, frustrating and contrived, but as an experience it's one of the most emotionally engaging games in existence." -- GamesRadar UK

"Silent Hill 2 doesn't break any molds or revolutionize the survival-horror genre in any particular way..."
    -- IGN

"Silent Hill 2 is a much prettier, somewhat smarter but less-compelling game than the original... The game's storyline makes more sense in the end of this sequel than it did in the original, but unlike in that game, it never creates the pressing need to understand it in the first place." -- GameSpot

Again. Mad props to Leigh Alexander for literally writing my feelings concerning the review on this title in a way I didn't know was possible. After beating Homecoming, I hard pressed a friend of mine to try it out. He was incredibly reluctant after reading multiple reviews. He gave in. And now he doesn't shut up about how good it is and how upset he's become regarding some of these reviews.

The  complaints seem begin and end regarding it's trivial combat system. I don't understand it. Is it perfect? No. Is it worth docking a full four to five points in their scores? NO. I never felt like I was an immortal invincible character taking out every enemy that came at me. I was still hording health items and running from enemies. Being forced to fight more than three enemies required actual strategy. There was tension!

Again, (little lost with my own rant.) a good read and required for anyone who still has been on the fence.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Vinchenzo

Unfortunately this girl's picture does not match the sexiness of the banner at the top.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.