Gripes, Problems, and Complaints

Posted by Weltal (2272 posts) -

So with all the love Silent Hill Shattered Memories is getting around here I have to vent some frustrations, after all what would a forum be without nit-picking and such. I should preface this by saying I'm not trying to claim Silent Hill is terrible but it does have quite a few flaws that I don't feel are getting addressed around here.

• The Nightmares
 Might as well start off with my biggest complaint about this game and that's the Nightmare sequences you'll experience for less than half your playtime. It's been said so often that taking way power from the player is the key to giving the player a scary experience but if any game proves that to be completely incorrect it would be this one. There's nothing frightening about the sequences because more often than not your either, 'A. Not in danger' or, 'B. Dead' and while option 'B' might imply that there was some fright to be had while in the process of dying you'd be wrong, being attacked by the creatures means getting hugged by them and the wild thrusting your doing with your arms do nothing to aid the scare factor of being hugged to death.

Add to this the fact that every Nightmare sequence has your preforming one action, running. You'll be holding the Z button down this entire sequence. There's one notable sequence where this is changed up and you're asked to go take some photos and avoid the creatures in what is probably the most exciting event you'll encounter in these sequences. 

Otherwise you'll just be running all the time and getting completely lost but the thing is you'll eventually either run long enough and get lost enough that you'll either end up back where you started and try again or you'll stumble upon the exit. Either way it's just a time sink. The problem is there's absolutely no reason not to die. If you die you start from the beginning and try again. Nothing happens, nothing changes, and you'll just keep thrusting your head against that wall till you find the weak spot and get out. These sequences are just straight up boring.

The sad thing is if these sequence had not existed the game would be better for it, these actually drag my enjoyment of the game down a great deal.

• The Ending (No Spoilers)
 I've haven't got much to say here, I just want to say the ending was incredibly predictable. If you haven't figured it out in the first five minutes than you'll undoubtably be able to piece it together way in advance of the ending. And prepare to be disappointed, not because it's a bad ending per-say but because as a member of Giant Bomb and a big fan of it's staff Brad's ringing endorsement of the end of this game, how it's a freaking masterpiece and will change your god damn life of course it's going to disappoint but being a fan and all I just believed it and figure the ending I had worked out in my mind from the first five minutes had to be wrong. Wow, I was surprised alright. 

Anyway like I said, there's nothing wrong with the end of the game, in fact it's quite good but chances are you'll figure it out way in advance and if you listen to Brad you'll be incredibly disappointed.

With all that said I'll reiterate my point the good in this game outweighs the bad but man, I'm pretty shocked to see it take the Wii GOTY. To each their own I suppose.
#1 Posted by Weltal (2272 posts) -

So with all the love Silent Hill Shattered Memories is getting around here I have to vent some frustrations, after all what would a forum be without nit-picking and such. I should preface this by saying I'm not trying to claim Silent Hill is terrible but it does have quite a few flaws that I don't feel are getting addressed around here.

• The Nightmares
 Might as well start off with my biggest complaint about this game and that's the Nightmare sequences you'll experience for less than half your playtime. It's been said so often that taking way power from the player is the key to giving the player a scary experience but if any game proves that to be completely incorrect it would be this one. There's nothing frightening about the sequences because more often than not your either, 'A. Not in danger' or, 'B. Dead' and while option 'B' might imply that there was some fright to be had while in the process of dying you'd be wrong, being attacked by the creatures means getting hugged by them and the wild thrusting your doing with your arms do nothing to aid the scare factor of being hugged to death.

Add to this the fact that every Nightmare sequence has your preforming one action, running. You'll be holding the Z button down this entire sequence. There's one notable sequence where this is changed up and you're asked to go take some photos and avoid the creatures in what is probably the most exciting event you'll encounter in these sequences. 

Otherwise you'll just be running all the time and getting completely lost but the thing is you'll eventually either run long enough and get lost enough that you'll either end up back where you started and try again or you'll stumble upon the exit. Either way it's just a time sink. The problem is there's absolutely no reason not to die. If you die you start from the beginning and try again. Nothing happens, nothing changes, and you'll just keep thrusting your head against that wall till you find the weak spot and get out. These sequences are just straight up boring.

The sad thing is if these sequence had not existed the game would be better for it, these actually drag my enjoyment of the game down a great deal.

• The Ending (No Spoilers)
 I've haven't got much to say here, I just want to say the ending was incredibly predictable. If you haven't figured it out in the first five minutes than you'll undoubtably be able to piece it together way in advance of the ending. And prepare to be disappointed, not because it's a bad ending per-say but because as a member of Giant Bomb and a big fan of it's staff Brad's ringing endorsement of the end of this game, how it's a freaking masterpiece and will change your god damn life of course it's going to disappoint but being a fan and all I just believed it and figure the ending I had worked out in my mind from the first five minutes had to be wrong. Wow, I was surprised alright. 

Anyway like I said, there's nothing wrong with the end of the game, in fact it's quite good but chances are you'll figure it out way in advance and if you listen to Brad you'll be incredibly disappointed.

With all that said I'll reiterate my point the good in this game outweighs the bad but man, I'm pretty shocked to see it take the Wii GOTY. To each their own I suppose.
#2 Posted by Driadon (2996 posts) -

I will agree with you on the Nightmare sequences, every time it happened after the first or second I started yelling "Goddamn, not another one.", though I find that tat is more of a ringing endorsement of how good the exploratory parts where. As for the ending, I personally didn't see it coming, though some major parts of the ending are changed drastically depending on many many factors.

#3 Posted by Weltal (2272 posts) -

Yeah, the exploration was the most interesting part of the game I was just saddened to see it dragged down, for me at least by the Nightmares. As for the ending changing drastically, not really. You get a different video but that's it. The ending doesn't change in any meaningful way other than to illuminate a character's past in a different light.

#4 Posted by Claude (16255 posts) -

I found a rhythm that worked well with me in the nightmare sequences. The second nightmare sequence screwed me up pretty bad, but then it just clicked with me. I was running free and jumping walls with a little nunchuck waggle with ease. You can pause the chase by zooming in on the map, that helped. I also got used to knocking the meat monsters off me pretty well, unless I ran into 5 of them, but hey, that's a game.

As for the ending, I had my ideas of what was going on, but the ending surprised me. I started a new game as soon as I finished, just to try out different things, plus, now having knowledge of the story. The game took me about 9 hours to complete, not bad. I could see how certain parts of this game could be frustrating, motion ain't for everybody. I still think people that have a PS2 should give this game a try when it comes out.

#5 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -
@The Nightmares

Almost all of the nightmares have puzzles in them, what are you talking about?
Also, it sounds like you didn't use your map to pause the chase and ponder your course. 

I like the pacing, staging, mood and function of the nightmare sequences.

@ The Ending

After having read the review and listened to the podcasts, I really don't like how the guys, especially Brad, are setting up people for disappointment. Because there straight-out isn't a "twist ending", especially not a "shocking" one. The ending is brilliant - the cinematography, writing and gameplay of the last hour are probably the strongest parts of the game - but I cannot imagine anyone playing through this game and not at least guessing that this "twist" might be one of the revelations at the end. I beat the game before all this talk started, so I could enjoy the final act, but A LOT of people are probably going to be disappointed in the next few days and weeks.
#6 Posted by Weltal (2272 posts) -
@Meowayne: All of the nightmares may have had puzzles but from what I've played only one makes use of the nightmare mode while the rest take place at the end of the sequence and are basically a safe haven, they might as well have take place in the exploration mode for all they had to do with the gameplay of the nightmare modes. Which is why I enjoyed the school one in particular because it forced you to go back out there and find these things to take photos of, while watching your back for the things. I guess there was another one, with the tucan but it was less engaging simply because it was easier to get to. So that makes two, I dunno, I felt something like this should have been the focus of the nightmare modes, not so much just the act of running.

Also I had no Idea the game pauses when you bring up the map, that would have been awesome. Oh well, I brute forced my way through.
#7 Posted by yeahno (269 posts) -

I have to say. I started a file for myself. I am in the second exploration sequence. It's severely frustrating not knowing where the hell to go! This chase sequence will be the biggest obstacle to get through for this...
I just really really like the melancholy of the whole thing.

#8 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -
@yeahno said:
"  I have to say. I started a file for myself. I am in the second exploration sequence. It's severely frustrating not knowing where the hell to go! "
Again, the game pauses when you bring up the map to full screen. Your goal is marked on the map, and whenever you make a wrong turn mark that spot on the map. 
That way, none of the nightmare sequences are difficult. 

Unless it takes you a while to figure out the "twist" in the last one.  :D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.