I Lost it ALL! Have you?

#1 Edited by Evilsbane (4619 posts) -

UPDATE: I finished the game last night really enjoyed it, but it was so sick finishing it again because that first playthrough I was seriously like 10 minutes from finishing the game.

Well a Wii game finally interested me and I picked up Silent Hill the other day and starting playing it, great game, was about 5 hours in. Well I never cut the Wii off when I got to a stopping point I would just pause the game and cut the TV off, well after 3 days of playting the game while I was at work someone in my house cut the Wii off, and everything I had done in Silent Hill was gone.  

How in the Holy Hell does this game have no autosave feature what is this 1990? I mean the game is awesome and I know I should have just saved the damn game But No autosave? Come on...*sigh* I wanna beat this game so bad but losing so much time is just such a mood killer I was really far into the game and now its just all gone.  EDIT: Regardless of me being an idiot or not No one here can say that it is acceptable for a game to not autosave, Because that means every time I cut the game on and play I have the chance of the power going out and losing everything, that is insane.

So in the interest of having some discussion Have any of you lost huge amounts of save data on a game you were activly playing?

UPDATE: I finished the game last night really enjoyed it, but it was so sick finishing it again

#2 Posted by Tiwi (1401 posts) -

I was playing persona 4 a second time, and had gotten up to naoto's dungeon.
as it turns out, ps3s which play ps2 games corrupt them on a regular basis... 
so i was slammed down to the bad bad bathhouse.

my next logical step was to stop playing for a while.

#3 Posted by Evilsbane (4619 posts) -
@tiwi:
Ouch I could never imagine losing RPG data just the thought sends shivers down my spine.
#4 Edited by ApertureSilence (1156 posts) -
@Evilsbane said:

"Well I never cut the Wii off when I got to a stopping point I would just pause the game and cut the TV off"

Why in the name of all that is good and decent would you do that? I'm sorry man, but you have no one but yourself to blame.
#5 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

This isnt autosaves fault, its yours. As shitty as it is you got your just desserts for your lax saving habits. Lesson learned.

#6 Edited by Evilsbane (4619 posts) -
@c1337us said:

"This isnt autosaves fault, its yours. As shitty as it is you got your just desserts for your lax saving habits. Lesson learned. "

YOU cannot honestly think that it is ok for a game to not have autosave? I know what I did was stupid thats why I am upset abou itt but I didn't derserve anything I have just come accustomed to Everything autosaving I cannot think of a single game in the past two years that I have played that didn't do this. I mean No checkpoints? No save game prompts? Nothing whatsoever? Its just kind of odd.

EDIT: Also What if that first night after I had dumped 4 hours into the game the power shut off while I was still playing and lost all that? Would That be my fault?
#7 Posted by Steve_C (1751 posts) -

This game plays you.

#8 Posted by Flurolamp (31 posts) -

It... kinda sucks that it didn't autosave or checkpoint, but what you did sounds kinda dumb.

Guess you should've actually saved, that's all I can say.

#9 Posted by Flurolamp (31 posts) -

It... kinda sucks that it didn't autosave or checkpoint, but what you did sounds kinda dumb.

Guess you should've actually saved, that's all I can say.

#10 Edited by L33tfella_H (901 posts) -

So....Why didn't you save? 

i mean sure enough it's taken for granted that most games have an auto-save feature, but WHY did you just have the wii on the whole time without saving at all?

And don't go all hypothetical with the whole 'maybe the power cuts out' speech without realizing that you should've thought of that when you never SAVED the game.

#11 Posted by Evilsbane (4619 posts) -
@L33tfella_H: I am not saying nor have I once defended my decision to not save the game THAT WAS FUCKING DUMB I am in total agreement but I think I make a valid point that at this point this shouldn't happen in a game..ever and THe hypothetical situation is a very real one that happened to me just a couple of weeks ago with AC2, the power shut off while I was playing but that game autosaves so I maybe lost 5 minutes?
#12 Posted by Daryl (1781 posts) -

Bad things happen to stupid people, sorry. :(

#13 Posted by Driadon (2998 posts) -

It's true that an autosave feature would have been nice, but think of it this way: playing this game again takes little-to-no time. Hell, if you wanted to you could easily beat this game in 2 and a half hours.

#14 Posted by PureRok (4235 posts) -
@Evilsbane: The game even gives you a warning saying there isn't an auto-save. That's your fault.
#15 Posted by Evilsbane (4619 posts) -
@PureRok said:
" @Evilsbane: The game even gives you a warning saying there isn't an auto-save. That's your fault. "
I didn't see that but why would it not have that it doesn't make much sense.
#16 Posted by Evilsbane (4619 posts) -
@PureRok said:
" @Evilsbane: The game even gives you a warning saying there isn't an auto-save. That's your fault. "
I didn't see that but why would it not have that it doesn't make much sense.
#17 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

Actually its a part of the game. The game knows that you are on GiantBomb posting a topic about it. I think this may affect the way the game plays drastically.

#18 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -

I was about 10 or 12 hours into Tales of Vesperia, but I had to switch around accounts because the other one was paired with a different country and credit card than what I had. 
In the process, I couldn't reaccess my Vesperia save file. 
So :(, 

But still, when a game has a save point, you save there. 
Kinda the rule of thumb. 

#19 Posted by Evilsbane (4619 posts) -
@Driadon: Its really that short? I mean I know it won't take to long to run back through it since I know the major puzzles now and I intend to have the same story but really 2 hours? If that is true that is a little disappointing.
#20 Edited by Driadon (2998 posts) -
@Evilsbane: My first run through took me 6 hours, second 4 hours and in 1 hour I made it half way through my third run. The game is short; what takes up the most time, I found, is going through and getting lost in the nightmare sequences.
#21 Posted by ApertureSilence (1156 posts) -

Does Shattered Memories rely on specific save points the same way most older survival horror games do? Because that would explain the lack of auto-saving.

#22 Posted by Driadon (2998 posts) -
@MurderByDeath: No, you can save whenever you wish.
#23 Posted by PureRok (4235 posts) -
@Driadon said:
" @Evilsbane: My first run through took me 6 hours, second 4 hours and in 1 hour I made it half way through my third run. The game is short; what takes up the most time, I found, is going through and getting lost in the nightmare sequences. "
I'm at the part when you get into the school. How far in is that?
#24 Posted by Driadon (2998 posts) -
@PureRok: Roughly a third.
#25 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4973 posts) -
@Steve_C said:
" This game plays you. "
This.  Game is calling you an idiot for not saving.
#26 Posted by DonChipotle (2762 posts) -
@PureRok said:
" @Driadon said:
" @Evilsbane: My first run through took me 6 hours, second 4 hours and in 1 hour I made it half way through my third run. The game is short; what takes up the most time, I found, is going through and getting lost in the nightmare sequences. "
I'm at the part when you get into the school. How far in is that? "

Depends on how fast you play through. But I'll say it's about 30% of the way.
#27 Posted by Newtime1 (16 posts) -

Well, i was about 5-6 hours roughly in the game, i just got through parts of the game that got me really excited about it. and the game glitched with the cell phone and i lost about half of that time and was busted back to the stupid school part. I save every time I stop playing and usually in between when i start and get off. but because the game fucked up i lost all that time, so I proceeded too say fuck you and turn the wii off. lol. No autosave is dumb, in any game in my opinion. especially when theres bugs like that. I will agree that leaving your wii on was a dumb idea. But I disagree with the people defending the no autosave system. Because sure you can get screwed like this dude did and it being his fault, sort of. But also it can happen for being ya know, just playing the game like a normal person, anyways. fuck silent hill. lol. we have evolved over the years from dumb ass save system's.

#28 Posted by Jayzilla (2562 posts) -
@Steve_C said:
" This game plays you. "
This.
#29 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

Wow.

You're a fucking idiot. Saving is a matter of two seconds. 

Do you do that a lot? Leaving game consoles on for days at a time for no reason?

#30 Posted by George_Hukas (1317 posts) -
@Meowayne said:
" Wow.      ...      You're a fucking idiot. Saving is a matter of two seconds.    ...    Do you do that a lot? Leaving game consoles on for days at a time for no reason? "
Ya I was with him until I read that part.. 3 days is a long time. I remember doing that with NES back in the day with games you couldn't save and a lot of the time it would just freeze.. but this.. this is bananas.
#31 Posted by Symphony (1912 posts) -

That sucks, but yeah... save next time :P

Thankfully I haven't lost a lot of save data in a long time (and even managed to play through all of FFX with no save cartridge), but back when I was younger I lost save data for every single RPG I played on the SNES. Why? I have a brother who also enjoys RPGs but didn't have the presence of mind at the time to realize he was saving his file over mine. Arg! I smartened up and started making second saves but still... ; ;

#32 Posted by George_Hukas (1317 posts) -
@Symphony said:
" That sucks, but yeah... save next time :P Thankfully I haven't lost a lot of save data in a long time (and even managed to play through all of FFX with no save cartridge), but back when I was younger I lost save data for every single RPG I played on the SNES. Why? I have a brother who also enjoys RPGs but didn't have the presence of mind at the time to realize he was saving his file over mine. Arg! I smartened up and started making second saves but still... ; ; "
When I was younger I had to hide cartridges from my siblings for the same reason.
#33 Edited by Duecenage (213 posts) -

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City... last mission... corrupted save file. Guess what, as far as I'm concerned, I've beaten that game. LOL. Tough break on the Silent Hill data. Happened to my roommate as well, he was in of the last parts when somehow he slipped through a crack in the floor and falling into nothingness forever.. We were forced to reset and find ourselves at the game setup stage.

#34 Posted by supermike6 (3564 posts) -

Like Jeff said when talking about ODST, anyone who doesn't go back to the menu before leaving is a fool.

#35 Posted by krystians (403 posts) -
I just think you should have saved non the less. I always do, and I never rely on auto saves. Even when playing Assassins Creed 2 I make sure to save  by visiting one of the stores. 
#36 Posted by Kraznor (1578 posts) -

Well, that does suck, but good thing the game is highly replayable and not very long. Get back in there and change up your choices. And yeah, try saving this time.

#37 Posted by rmills87 (463 posts) -
@MurderByDeath said:
"@Evilsbane said:

"Well I never cut the Wii off when I got to a stopping point I would just pause the game and cut the TV off"

Why in the name of all that is good and decent would you do that? I'm sorry man, but you have no one but yourself to blame. "

I second this - you really should have saved your game manually, JUST to be sure.  Plus, what about power outages?  That alone would constitute making sure your game is saved.
#38 Edited by therabidfrog (349 posts) -
@Evilsbane: 

"I finished the game last night really enjoyed it, but it was so sick finishing it again" 

Pure poetry. Pure poetry.

"Regardless of me being an idiot or not No one here can say that it is acceptable for a game to not autosave, Because that means every time I cut the game on and play I have the chance of the power going out and losing everything, that is insane."

You're still an idiot.
#39 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4973 posts) -
@therabidfrog said:
" You're still an idiot. "
Close and shut case, Johnson!
#40 Posted by beanj007 (30 posts) -

Yeah, I paused the game after a 2 hour session right as I was being pulled out of the water at the very end.  Luckily I told a friend who told me I was minutes from the ending, so I just pulled up the endings on YouTube and watched them all.  When I get some spare time I'll go back and finish it just to see my psych evaluation, but yes... lack of auto-save in today's world is stupid.

#41 Posted by Joker_777 (326 posts) -

Super Smash Bros: Melee  
Memory card wiped. So many tears after doing everything i could with every character.

#42 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5256 posts) -

When I was probably like an hour away from beating The Witcher, my pc decided to shit itself and lock up, so I restarted and apparently my mobo crapped out on me. New mobo, new windows install....goodbye game saves. I'll get around to playing it again, but man I felt like I lost a part of me when I realized my save files we all gone.

#43 Posted by SolracFB (28 posts) -

OMG you don't turn off your Wii for days at a time!!! So it is you who is killing our planet! No wonder the weather's so cold (perfect for playing SH:SM though).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.